Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why use over powder wad?

I used two milk carton discs. One over powder one to free the bullet. The second was really to keep lube cookie off base.

A wad in BPCR serves many purposes. It allows one to compress the powder evenly, it keeps lube out of the powder, it can take up extra space if need be, but it seems most of you don't understand the primary purpose for a wad.

The primary purpose of it, at least for those of us in the competitive long range game, is the wad protects the base of the bullet. It acts as a gas check to stop gas cutting, and it also keeps the base of the bullet from getting deformed by granules of powder, or that kick in the behind when powder is ignited. We cast bullets. It's what this whole entire forum is about, so we should all know that the base of the bullet is the most important part of it. You're not going to win anything unless you make every effort possible to have perfect bases, and protect the bases of those bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a bit confused, if you want your gun to be legal for Muzzleloader season, how can you use a cartridge Rifle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I am a bit confused, if you want your gun to be legal for Muzzleloader season, how can you use a cartridge Rifle?
    Locally, the season is called primitive and allows cartridge single shot rifles more than 45 caliber and must have an external hammer.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Locally, the season is called primitive and allows cartridge single shot rifles more than 45 caliber and must have an external hammer.
    Tim
    thats proly more in the spirit of the game than the fake sabot shooting so called muzzleloaders.........................

Can't argue with that! Iowa now allows rifles with straight sided cartridges in their shotgun season. Has to be .35 to.50. Sounds like an excellent time to deer hunt again. One of my old lever guns will kill again!

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Can't argue with that! Iowa now allows rifles with straight sided cartridges in their shotgun season. Has to be .35 to.50. Sounds like an excellent time to deer hunt again. One of my old lever guns will kill again!
    So, the old 40-82 Winchester which has a slight bottle neck would NOT be legal, but the 40-82 Rhodes (both formed from 45-90 brass) which has no bottle neck WOULD be legal. That makes NO sence.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    So, the old 40-82 Winchester which has a slight bottle neck would NOT be legal, but the 40-82 Rhodes (both formed from 45-90 brass) which has no bottle neck WOULD be legal. That makes NO sence.
    For some reason I doubt the average game warden knows very much about original BPC's. To the untrained eye a 40/82 looks like a straightwall case.

I hope you're right!

Boolit Buddy
    The Ky game wardens I used to deal with would give you an opinion if you showed them the cartridge (40-82) if you asked them, and didn't want it in writing. Official opinions can get complicated. The officer you will see in the woods is the one you want to get to know.

You could always explain the 40-82 Win is straight walled except for the part the grips the bullet and that has to be parallel. You’d definitely be complying with the spirit of the law

dtknowles,

I think you got a typo...35 cal and above in LA.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone, I was wondering the same, now one more thing that I don't know. Good Luck and Good Shooting Chris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Why do people use an over powder wad? Seems unnecessary. I don't use one in a muzzleloader. Why would I put one in a cartridge? Waste of space, added component and more useless weight to be propelled out the barrel.
    Tim
    Unless you're using bulky powders, the powder spreads out in the cartridge, and ignition is more variable. And over powder wad confines the powder to a smaller volume of space so you get a more consistent burn. You can see it easily in a transparent pill bottle that's not full. Stand it on the base, and all the pills are on the bottom, where the primer is in a cartridge. Lay the bottle on it's side, and rattle it about a bit, and they spread all down the side of the cartridge. Take the same bottle of pills, and put a wad of cotton in it. At least most of the pills will remain in the bottom of the bottle when it's on its side.

More consistent ignition gets you more consistent pressures, which get you more consistent velocities, which gets you better accuracy.

HTH!

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post
    A wad in BPCR serves many purposes. It allows one to compress the powder evenly, it keeps lube out of the powder, it can take up extra space if need be, but it seems most of you don't understand the primary purpose for a wad.

The primary purpose of it, at least for those of us in the competitive long range game, is the wad protects the base of the bullet. It acts as a gas check to stop gas cutting, and it also keeps the base of the bullet from getting deformed by granules of powder, or that kick in the behind when powder is ignited. We cast bullets. It's what this whole entire forum is about, so we should all know that the base of the bullet is the most important part of it. You're not going to win anything unless you make every effort possible to have perfect bases, and protect the bases of those bullets.
    Yes, and all that, too!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    You're dealing with a government agency. They don't have to make sense, in fact they usually don't.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Unless you're using bulky powders, the powder spreads out in the cartridge, and ignition is more variable. And over powder wad confines the powder to a smaller volume of space so you get a more consistent burn. You can see it easily in a transparent pill bottle that's not full. Stand it on the base, and all the pills are on the bottom, where the primer is in a cartridge. Lay the bottle on it's side, and rattle it about a bit, and they spread all down the side of the cartridge. Take the same bottle of pills, and put a wad of cotton in it. At least most of the pills will remain in the bottom of the bottle when it's on its side.

More consistent ignition gets you more consistent pressures, which get you more consistent velocities, which gets you better accuracy.

HTH!

Bill
    This was originally a black powder cartridge thread.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    dtknowles,

I think you got a typo...35 cal and above in LA.
    I will not claim it was a typo, it was my ignorance. I really thought it was 45 and up.

Tim

When you have a large amount of powder, you want it to ignite where it's put.

If a column of powder gets pushed out to the middle of the barrel before complete ignition, I expect life can get interesting.

A wad can keep the powder 'together' for longer.

My black powder always stays where it's supposed to. I think it probably would if I didn't use a wad too. I wouldn't use a wad with smokeless. I have found AA 5744 doesn't need it. Or IMR 4198 if we're going to switch over to talking about smokeless on the black powder cartridge forum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast