Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Should I have concerns?

Should I have concerns?

Q: Im casting 210gr. bullets for 338-06. Im using Re Manual for Jacketed Bullets at 2600fps. 46 to 50gr of A4064. No leading issues. Should I be concerned with pressures? I did back speed down to 48gr @ 2350fps and gained 1/4in MOA. and accuracy testing is yet to come. Just want to confirm safty first no Pressure info in this reloading manual. The bullet is shooting 200fps faster than manual quotes thats why I am concerned or is the increased V a product of Lead over Jacketed. Your replies are apreciated

Boolit Master

Welcome to the forum.

Cast bullets will generally give somewhat higher speed than jacketed bullets with the same powder charge.

You are really pushing on the velocity with your cast boolits. I really can't say if pressure is high or not. You have to be the judge.

Safety and caution first!.....ALWAYS and FOREVER!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

To go over pressure with cast, you kind of have to work at it.
    The Lead boolit has less resistance to go down and out the barrel compared to jacketed.
    So it'll squirt on out and build less pressure.

However; as your speed gets on up there, you might have an issue with leading, and loss of accuracy.
    I don't shoot at extended ranges, so I'm content with rifle speeds around 1800-2000, and have good accuracy.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

It sounds like you started your cast bullet load development at the max for jacketed bullet data. That's not a good practice. Velocity does not directly increase with pressure, though most of the time there is a correlation. Id say you got lucky with your load, but you could have just as easily gotten unlucky.

Thank you. The increased Velocity disturbed me. I have been reloading for 45 years. Just never tried to push cast lead this hard before. I did started seeing the standard pressure issues when hitting 2670 fps. Accuracy suffered greatly and so did my shoulder. Whats most impressive is that the Cast bullet held up. My process of (wet powder coating the Bullet), then (Dry Powder Coating under the crimped Gas Check while sizing), fallowed by 2 more wet powder coats. Zero fouling and impressive durability. Wish I could post pictures.

You bet. I started very low. 26g of RL7=1623fps. switched powders 3 times as I increased velocities looking for Pressure signs. Will Cast bullets show the same Pressure signs?

Thank you. Most of my shots are 200 to 300 yds. My genaric accuracy was best between 2250 and 2370 fps. I have been working on developing these bullets and a load for wks. Many trips to the Range. Accuracy testing is next. 1.5 MOA was with bullets ranging from 204.2gr to 207.7gr..I right angle file the base to get a 206gr +-0.1gr from a 210gr mold

Thank you, Hickok, Winger Ed, and Bazoo. All good advice and I learned some also. Never to old to learn. I apreciate all your replies. Wish you the best and safe shooting.

Boolit Master

I hope you find the load you are looking for. It is a great feeling when you do.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by D.Bullets View Post
    Thank you, Hickok, Winger Ed, and Bazoo. All good advice and I learned some also. Never to old to learn. I apreciate all your replies. Wish you the best and safe shooting.
    Shooting cast in rifles has its own learning curve.
    But once ya get into it, it's hard to go back to shooting all or even any jacketed.

For 100-ish yard target stuff- or even hunting, read up on using various pistol powders for rifle loads.
    A couple years ago, I got into 'the load' using Red Dot for cast in .30 cal. rifle.
    It works real well, and isn't much more expensive to shoot then the high end .22LR like Stingers, or .22Mag.

Just don't shoot your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would be ecstatic to get a 1.5 MOA load at 300 yards with cast. Whatever you are doing is working. BTW welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

As to accuracy, it is common for cast bullets not to be "linear" like jacketed bullets. In most cases, with jacketed bullets, a 1.5 MOA load at 100 yards will stay at about 1.5 MOA at 200 and 300 yards. Cast bullets rarely perform like that. It is one of many reasons I use jacketed bullets in high velocity rifles. There are a handful of gentlemen who have achieved amazing results with cast at longer ranges so it is possible.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Got some pictures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2879.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	314037

Name:	IMG_E2860.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	314038

Name:	IMG_2884.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	314039

Name:	IMG_2862.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	314040
    2600fps was to fast backed down to upper 2300fps shot 1.5 MOA. zero leading. Now starts accuracy Testing. Having some crappy weather.

Pretty awesome stuff. Thank you for sharing.