Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 50-100-450

Boolit Buddy
    That is a magnificent 1886 rifle. The special order features make it truely unique and very desirable.

I’ve never seen that front sight before. Any idea what it is? I assume it’s adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by JFE View Post
    That is a magnificent 1886 rifle. The special order features make it truely unique and very desirable.

I’ve never seen that front sight before. Any idea what it is? I assume it’s adjustable.
    It is a globe sight with interchangeable aperture and micrometer wind adjustment…

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I traded into a model 71 action and built a 50-100-450 out of it. It was a bit of fun, the wood came off of a new model 1886 so I ended up buying a lower tang to fit the wood and then machining it to fit the action. It has a 30" octagon barrel and a full length mag tube. Hope to get out a shoot it soon.
    I am assuming, you already know the internals of that action have to be modified to work the 50-110 cartridge...

Museum quality rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    I am assuming, you already know the internals of that action have to be modified to work the 50-110 cartridge...
    I have done about 15 of these conversions. There are slight differences between the original Winchesters and later models when doing the conversion.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got it loaded and to the gopher fields…

Seeing that gopher brings to mind a paraphrase of the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid: "Think you used enough gun there Shrapnel?"

The extra pound and the shotgun butt are probably the two best special order features for shooting comfort.

Robert

Awesome!

Boolit Master
    shrapnel, that’s a beautiful rifle. Congratulations.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

Shrapnel, will you adopt me?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Caliber .50 Winchesters are certainly the way to go.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by Rust View Post
    Can you tell the bore twist? My 50 EX is 1-52, 50-100-450 should be faster.
    The twist is 1/54 and is marked as such under the barrel. The 50-110 was an express cartridge and was 1/60 for a lighter 300 grain bullet…

I got the document by Jim Paul and Tom Adams on the 50-100-450. It may not be the finest record of the 50-100-450, but it does cover a bunch of the history on that cartridge. 50 caliber Winchesters are scarce and valuable, 50-100-450 is the crown jewel and 13 special order features make this a real “one of a kind” rifle…

I took the 50-100-450 to the collector show in Greeley, Colorado, and met Tom Adams there. He is a serious collector and we discussed all the virtues of this rifle and he was very complimentary of the gun and its condition. Better than that, Tom is a great person to meet and share the enthusiasm of these guns and their collector attributes…

Boolit Master
    i reckon that 86 is in its rightful home (better than any "serious collector" or museum would give it) It will get treated with the reverence that its due, but better than that, every now and then it will get to breathe fire and smoke in the country it was designed for. (wont be just blowin up gophers either I bet) .

Boolit Master

Shrap - Can you give us a bit of the story of how you came upon this particular rifle. I know you are a bit of a Winchester collector, But would enjoy hearing a bit more about how you beat the brush to find them. God Bless
    Last edited by square butte; 05-19-2023 at 08:08 AM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Shrap - Can you give us a bit of the story of how you came upon this particular rifle. I know you are a bit of a Winchester collector, But would enjoy hearing a bit more about how you beat the brush to find them. God Bless
    I was at the Kalispell gun show in March with some of my Winchesters on display and a guy came by and asked if I would be interested in a 50 caliber Winchester. I told him I would and asked him to bring it by. The next day he had it and I looked it over and sent pictures to a friend that has a spectacular collection of 50 caliber Winchesters.

He gave me pointers and told me what he was willing to pay to buy the gun. I didn’t do any bargaining with the owner, just put it in the back of my mind as to what to do next. The owner assured me it wasn’t for sale anywhere and he would still have it in the future.

A week ago, I contacted him and went back to Kalispell to explore the options and price. He had 4 other guns available that were extremely High condition guns that he would sell, but this one blew my entire budget. Consequently, I brought it here to Greeley, where I am now talking to other collectors about this and other Winchesters and Whitney Kennedy rifles I have for sale.

Boolit Master

Appreciate the story of it very much. Fond memories of the Kalispell Gun Show ( some very good stuff used to turn up there - some of which is still with me ) back in the early 80's & 90's - I used to live there, out to the east of town - up against the Swan Range. I worked for the USFS ( Flathead NF ) on the Glacier View RD just across t he river to the west of the park. Thanks again
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    Never heard of a set trigger on a lever gun. Is that for real? and if so, how does it work?
    On 86's , 94's and 92's you could order set triggers. Not sure about earlier models.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Mold
    The twist is 1/54 and is marked as such under the barrel. The 50-110 was an express cartridge and was 1/60 for a lighter 300 grain bullet…

Thanks for the info. My 50 was originaly a 45-70 circa 1890 converted by Chas Jones and rebored by a Canadian barrel maker.
    Glad to know that the 1-52 twist it has will be good for 450 gn bullets.
    Last edited by Rust; 05-21-2023 at 08:34 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    On 86's , 94's and 92's you could order set triggers. Not sure about earlier models.
    I have a second model 73 Winchester made in 1880. It has a set trigger.

JKR

I took the rifle to Greeley to have Tom Adams look at it. He co-wrote a small book on the 50-100-450 rifles and their variations. He was helpful and had a copy from the ledger that showed the features of the original rifle.

I had mis-interpreted the description of the rear sight and found out that it was ordered with an extremely rare Lyman Windage adjustable sight and I even found one at the show. The bolt has been altered at the factory to machine the rear end of the bolt to facilitate the use of the Lyman sight and not hit the sight with the bolt when the action is worked.

Several other collectors came to see the rifle and marvel at all the special order features of the gun. It has been shot now, with the new sight and it is ready for anything I can shoot with it. I didn’t realize how rare that sight is and how fortunate I was to find one at the show in Greeley…

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast