Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 50-100-450

Winchester 50-100-450

I just picked up a beautiful rifle with a whole bunch of special order features…

Rifle1/2 octagon barrel

matted

1 pound extra heavy.

Set trigger

1/2 magazine 5 cartridges

checked stock pistol grip

shotgun butt

oil finish.

Sling and swivel

oval silver name plate in fore-arm 1″ long

Length of stock 14″,

Lyman wind gauge, set screw in front sight

no rear sight seat.

It is in excellent original condition with a bright bore. I got a box of ammunition with it, loaded with jacketed bullets, from Buffalo Arms. I think I will pull the bullets and reload them with cast bullets…

Boolit Buddy
    Never heard of a set trigger on a lever gun. Is that for real? and if so, how does it work?

Beautiful 1886 Deluxe rifle! Yes Virginia, there was factory set triggers on leaver guns. That is a super gun! Very scare cal. That is one in my bucket list want to own. Can I have it? Lol

Boolit Mold
    Can you tell the bore twist? My 50 EX is 1-52, 50-100-450 should be faster.

Boolit Master
    Wow! That’s quite a beauty!

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure about options for Winchesters but the 1881 Marlin was available with double set triggers:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...e-set-triggers

I just learned that! I have an 1881 Marlin I am getting back into shooting shape... almost there!

That 1886 is a single set trigger from what I can see in the pic. Is it set by pushing forward?

Very nice gun by the way! She's a beauty!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Get a hold of me when you get tired of this one. I have one slot left in my safe, looks like a perfect fit.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Wow, awesome acquisition!

Got it loaded and to the gopher fields…

Boolit Buddy

Wow-Wow is right
    Great find Shrapnel!

Too bad it’s not a 50-110. Charging gophers you need to be sure to anchor him. 50-100 might not be enough gun without precise placement. Lol That’s a dandy.

Boolit Buddy
    Actually the 50-100 used the heavier 450 grain bullet. The 50-110 used a lighter 300 grain bullet. Same case, just different powder charge, bullet and barrel twist rate. So to stop a serious charge I believe I would op for the heavier bullet. Love the wood on the 1886! I have a Browning 1886 with custom wood and it can't hold a candle to that wood. Even my lovely Marlin 1893 doesn't have that much contrast.

Bill

Boolit Master

The wood is heart stopping, but what really sparks me is the checkered top flat, and right out on the round part to the front sight. Never saw that before.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations on your latest acquisition That Rifle will be hard to surpass. Would be really interesting, to see the original invoice price and shipping records. When it comes to 1886 Winchesters the 50-100-450 chambering was the rarest. My compliments to the original owner for selecting the additional Special Order features. This is truly a one of a kind Rifle.

Years ago two Winchester Collectors from Alaska were given access to the original 1886 Winchester Factory Records. They were focused on documenting every 50-100-450. This treatise was published in 1997. They recorded only 331, 50-100-450 chambered rifles. The first one was produced in 1894.
    Rick

Nifty.

Boolit Bub
    Great rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Congratulations on your latest acquisition That Rifle will be hard to surpass. Would be really interesting, to see the original invoice price and shipping records. When it comes to 1886 Winchesters the 50-100-450 chambering was the rarest. My compliments to the original owner for selecting the additional Special Order features. This is truly a one of a kind Rifle.

Years ago two Winchester Collectors from Alaska were given access to the original 1886 Winchester Factory Records. They were focused on documenting every 50-100-450. This treatise was published in 1997. They recorded only 331, 50-100-450 chambered rifles. The first one was produced in 1894.
    Rick

I got the document by Jim Paul and Tom Adams on the 50-100-450. It may not be the finest record of the 50-100-450, but it does cover a bunch of the history on that cartridge. 50 caliber Winchesters are scarce and valuable, 50-100-450 is the crown jewel and 13 special order features make this a real “one of a kind” rifle…

Boolit Master
    Pretty rifle. Makes me wonder what the original owner had in mine for it.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Back in the mid 80's while stationed at Fort Lewis I saw an 1886 in one of the 50 caliber chamberings at the Pyallup gunshow. Unfortunately the barrel looked like a sewer pipe on the inside with some enormous pits. I don't remember whether it was 50-100 or 50-110. I just remember the condition of the barrel. The guy still wanted what I considered a small fortune for it.

Bill

Boolit Master

I traded into a model 71 action and built a 50-100-450 out of it. It was a bit of fun, the wood came off of a new model 1886 so I ended up buying a lower tang to fit the wood and then machining it to fit the action. It has a 30" octagon barrel and a full length mag tube. Hope to get out a shoot it soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast