MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
PBcastcoRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Stevens model 44 in .25-25

Boolit Master

Stevens model 44 in .25-25

I posted about this a few days ago over on the ASSRA forum. But I thought some of you here might appreciate seeing this rifle I just picked up.

Its a m44 in .25-25 Stevens with a near excellent bore and what appears to be factory optional Beach combination front sight, 3-leaf folding barrel sight and Lyman tang sight. The full loop lever is unusual too.

I have ONE originial Winchester .25-25 case. I loaded it with 23.2gr of Old E 3F and an 88 gr bullet. I took it to the range yesterday and fired it across the chrono. It was good for 1654fps. I have more brass coming and will soon be getting it dialed in.

Not many people shooting this cartridge anymore. I love the challenge of getting these old boys shooting again 😀
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230511_201951_copy_1612x336.jpg   20230508_062448_copy_227x766.jpg   20230507_151245_copy_270x258.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

I have re-barreled a few over the years, have the chamber reamer.

Also have the 22-15-60 reamer that I have never used.

Should be a fun one to work with. I like them old cartridges too. Just got to shooting my Stevens 45 in 28-30. Appreciate your video on the 25 Stevens rimfire. Working on making some cases to shoot that Stevens too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

I'll remember that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

You have a .25-25 reamer? I can't imagine it gets a lot of use!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Should be a fun one to work with. I like them old cartridges too. Just got to shooting my Stevens 45 in 28-30. Appreciate your video on the 25 Stevens rimfire. Working on making some cases to shoot that Stevens too.
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed the video. I've gotten into the 25s in the last 2 years. .25 Stevens in both rimfire and centerfire, .25-20SS and the .25-25 (this is my second one). The older I get, the more I enjoy the small, low recoil cartridges. I'll be making a video on shooting this rifle soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    You have a .25-25 reamer? I can't imagine it gets a lot of use!
    Gee doesn’t every one? I got one in among other goodies I bought. Thought that’s neat but who would ever need one? Some one want sent me a message I will never use it.

Boolit Master

I have another .25-25, a #2 rolling block. But sadly some bubba ran what looks to be maybe a 25-20wcf reamer into the chamber in a misguided attempt to make it shoot a more readily available cartridge. Sadder still is it has an excellent bore. Perhaps the chamber could be relined. Then rechambered.

Boolit Master
    I have another .25-25, a #2 rolling block. But sadly some bubba ran what looks to be maybe a 25-20wcf reamer into the chamber in a misguided attempt to make it shoot a more readily available cartridge. Sadder still is it has an excellent bore. Perhaps the chamber could be relined. Then rechambered.
    Given the barrel shank diameter of the Stevens 44 action it may be possible to make a chamber liner for a low power cartridge like the 25-25. I lined and recut the chamber on a Marbles Game Getter 44 shot barrel after Bubbas Diesel Repair and Custom Gunsmithing had used a drill bit to open the chamber for 2" 410 shot shells. They apparently made a specialty of this conversion as I've seen other examples. Perhaps they did the conversion on your rifle. I made a simple D type chamber reamer for the 44 shot cartridge from O-1 drill rod.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I just picked up another twenty-five .25-25 cases . Getting them cleaned up and prepped for roading.

If you think one day you will need 25-25 chamber reamer, pm your info and I will mail it to you. I will never use it.

Boolit Master

If the rifling is good the chamber can be lined back to 25-25.

Boolit Master

I just finished loading 25 .25-25s (say that fast three times!). This is original, never fired UMC brass. After cleaning and annealing I made three loads. With no reliable smokeless data available, I'm starting with black powder and equivalent loads. Load #1 is a duplex of 22gr Schuetzen 2F black powder over 2.3gr of 2400 to make it burn clean, Arsenal 257420 72.5gr bullet and CCI 450 primer. Load #2 is 22.0gr of APP 2F, same bullet and primer. Load #3 is 16.0gr of Blackhorn 209, same bullet and primer. BH209 is pricey, but its my favorite sub - accurate, consistent and clean burning.

I don't have .25-25 loading dies, but that is not a problem. I can use a Lee universal decapping die, a .25 acp sizer to neck size and a .25-20 wcf seater die. But to use the seater, I machined a spacer that slips over the cartridge. Because the cartridge is so long and the die is for a much shorter cartridge. The spacer effectively lengthens the die to accomodate the .25-25 length. It worked perfectly 😀 Off to the range this week to test them with the chronograph.

Look forward to the range report.

Boolit Buddy

Great, now everyone has a 25-25 reamer! Just waited 11 months for a reamer. relining the chamber of a Stevens for a customer.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    To bad Savage can't make rifles like that anymore .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    To bad Savage can't make rifles like that anymore .

Jack
    Maybe not. But CPA does 😀

Spent part of the day making parts for a .25-25 muzzle resizer for the thin walled RMC brass. They slip into a medium length tong tool universal decapper body. Now waiting for the right hardened steel drill bushing to arrive from McMaster, so it's not shown here. The spacers are in three lengths - by swapping them around the tool will also do .25-21 and .25-20! While I was at it, I also pressed a sleeve onto the shortened decapper stem, and turned it down to make an expander plug. Handles are a rare set marked .22 Lovell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muzzle resizer photo.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	314478
    Cognitive Dissident