RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: point of impact issue driving me crazy with revolver

Quote Originally Posted by JacobusRex View Post
    I've got a SP101 with 3" barrel that shoots on at 25 yards with Federal .38 158gr LRN factory ammo. I'd like to duplicate that load to save money but with .357 cases because I have a ton of them.

The Federal .38 factory load averages about 680 fps out of my 3" barrel. My reload is .357 cases, 158gr SWC and 4.0 grains of Trailboss. Winchester standard primer and a fairly heavy Lee factory crimp. Average velocity of about 682 fps.

You'd think the two would shoot close together but the reload shoots a good 6" lower than the factory load at 25 yards.

Maybe the issue is me??? My eyes aren't what they use to be. However, others seem to also shoot low vs the factory load.

Primers, powder, crimp???? Any ideas?
    Did you chrono the Fed load? I would think its running well over 700fps. Sometimes bullet shape matters, maybe more so with shorter bbls. Found out the factory vel & try to match it with TB. IF the accuracy/poi is still way off, try another powder. I have good results with RedDot & lead bullets in 357 cases.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Referring back to post #1. It has been stated that there might be a shooter error. First post and a long time member. Unless you personally know this OP don't you think you are assuming an awfully lot about shooting ability. It seems he has a valid question and is looking for an answer to his problem.
    You’re assuming just as much. If the group moves 6 inches does group size matter?

I’d try a different powder. Trail boss recoil so soft I wouldn’t be surprised if POI changes when using it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    You’re assuming just as much. If the group moves 6 inches does group size matter?

I’d try a different powder. Trail boss recoil so soft I wouldn’t be surprised if POI changes when using it.
    Group size always matters.
    Without being able to group a reasonable grouping one will find it difficult to sight in. I ve seen many who shot offhand so poorly that they couldn't tell if their gun shot 6 inches right, left,low, high ,diagonally. It wouldn't have mattered.
    Now with someone who can shoot small enough groups they will know.
    So grouping ability does matter.

Boolit Mold
    Finally got it worked out. I was able to meet the two most important component criterias. Those being Trailboss and 158 lswc. (Got a lot of those components.) Did have to substitute .38 Special cases. (I've got way more .357 brass.)

End result is dead on windage and about 1" high at 25 yards. Not bad for fixed sights and a 3" barrel. I didn't chrono the load but maybe 700ish fps. Three shot group from a bag.

https://member.escapees.com/test/group5-25.jpg

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobusRex View Post
    Finally got it worked out. I was able to meet the two most important component criterias. Those being Trailboss and 158 lswc. (Got a lot of those components.) Did have to substitute .38 Special cases. (I've got way more .357 brass.)

End result is dead on windage and about 1" high at 25 yards. Not bad for fixed sights and a 3" barrel. I didn't chrono the load but maybe 700ish fps. Three shot group from a bag.

https://member.escapees.com/test/group5-25.jpg
    Did you even try deep seating your bullets in 357 brass to the same OAL as the 38 Special to see if the 38 Special loads would work or some iteration of the 38 Special loads would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Frankly, I'd be surprised if using a .38 Spec. load in a .357 mag. case would get you the same results. I think the advice from several to start over is good. Personally, I'm not in love with the 158 gr. LRN. Why not switch to 148 gr. wadcutters, which are renowned for their accuracy? They cast great, or you can buy them in bulk. Since target shooting seems to be your activity, they make nice round holes for scoring. Bullseye, Unique, and Accurate #5 are good.

DG
    Good advice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    Good advice.
    I bet he still didn't seat the bullet deep in 357 cases(since he has so many) to 38 Special OAL and try that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12