Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: CCI caps when it can’t find Remington caps ?

Boolit Man

CCI caps when it can’t find Remington caps ?

I can’t find remington #10 caps to use with my Remington New model Army but I cans find CCI caps in both #10 and #11 size caps .

I remember getting a lot of misfires from the CCI caps 30 years or more ago and wonder if they have gotten any better than they used to be?

I have had no misfires so far using Pyrodex P 30 grains and Hornady .454 round balls
    And the Remington #10 cap.

I don’t shoot competition and matter of fact do not shoot much anymore because of health issues.

Thanks

CCI is about all I used back in the day, with no issues.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Most of my factory primers are CCI.
    Both standard and magnum.
    I have never had any problems with them.
    Even when I used Pyrodex.
    But now mostly I make my own primers , and keep the factory primers for my reserve.

I have alway had better results with CCI than Rem. But that’s been past 5 years since I got into ML.

My last C&B revolver preferred Remingtons;
    My Lyman Plains Pistol likes both.
    I only have the Lyman and now a CVA .50 rifle;
    And I only have Remington caps( but if I see CCIs I’ll get some!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't ever remember having any CCI's that didn't go pop. I can remember having some that did not ignite the GHOST POWDER that I forgot to put in the barrel when talking too much at the range.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Man
    I reread my questions and see that I did not mention that the gun that I was using the CCI caps on was a TC 50 caliber Hawkins with a 385 grain hollow point buffalo bullet and used ffg Goex and tried Pyrodex rs well,kept in it as clean as possible ,and kept a bread twist tie with the plastic pulled off of it to make sure that the nipple hole was clear several times a day while I was hunting to try to keep from having a misfire if I saw a deer II wanted to kill.

I even tried after the rifle was loaded then removing the nipple to trickle a tiny bit of powder in and then screwing the nipple back again.
    Still got misfires!

Anyway what size CCI caps should I get to use on the Pietta New Army 44 with the Factory nipples for good fit and performance and using Pyrodex P 30 to 40 grains ?

Thanks

If you were trying to use #10 caps on your rifle, that’s the problem. The T/C uses #11. The #10 caps don’t go all the way onto the nipple, and cushion the blow of the hammer.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

CCI #11s are closer in size to the Remington #10. The CCI#10 is too small for any of my revolvers. The Remington #10 fits everything I own (~16 C&Bs) and the CCI#11s fit about 2/3 of them. On the other 1/3 of my guns the CCI#11s are too tight (they sit too high to go off on the first hammer strike)
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    CCI #11s are closer in size to the Remington #10. The CCI#10 is too small for any of my revolvers. The Remington #10 fits everything I own (~16 C&Bs) and the CCI#11s fit about 2/3 of them. On the other 1/3 of my guns the CCI#11s are too tight (they sit too high to go off on the first hammer strike)
    In which case get 10.75 RWS caps and all is well/Ed

The RWS 1075 will fit about 1/4 of my guns but the solution might be to get a set of Slix-shot nipples. They seem to fit Rem#10, CCI#11 and RWS 1075.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Man
    Thanks everbody

I was surprised to see CCI #10 caps on the wall at the LGS the other day. Only two 100 ct. cans. I haven’t seen caps in a couple of years.
    I bought one for $10- left the others for others.
    They work just fine on my rifle and pistol.(CVA and Lyman).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk