RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Factory Level 30-30 with PC (no gas check)

Boolit Master

Factory Level 30-30 with PC (no gas check)

I have been using PC with several of my rifles, most notably my Lee Enfield, which seems to really like my 170 grain spire point plain-based bullets (Lyman #2 and Smoke's Clear), but at only about 1800 fps.

Today I tested my 30-30 using Hornady load data for the jacketed 170 grain flat point.

For the jacketed bullet, my Hornady manual shows a starting load of 31.5 grains W748 and a max load of 34 grains W748. I wasn't really interested in going all the way to 34, but I did a load ladder from 31.5 to 33 using WLRM primers.

I shot the Lee C309-170, made of Lyman #2. It is a gas check design, but I did one coat of Smoke's clear with no gas check.

Good news was 50 rounds fired and no leading and no degradation of accuracy over time. I never really found a good "sweet spot" for the rifle in terms of accuracy-- best 5 shot group at 50 yards was 1" and I have lube/gas checked loads that do better than that (but at lower velocity, of course). However, I did get factory level velocities (just over 2100 fps).

So--I now know the PC can do it, although I'm not sure how often I will try.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Not always - but usually; bullets designed for a gas check can have better accuracy with a check installed. You're getting good accuracy & velocity, so what's not to like? An inch at 50 yards is pretty darned good. If something works you don't need to fix it. Just curious if having checks on those PC bullets would make things better/worse/ or the same?

Vendor Sponsor

At 2100 FPS you are reaching the limit of PC accuracy without a check installed .
    I would try again with a check and would bet you see better accuracy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Back in 19, I got an average of 2424 f/s in my Sharps 30/30 with a 34 inch barrel. 10 shots went into 1 & 3/4 inch at 50 yards with no leading. This was with an Accurate 155 gr. plain base bullet with no lube grooves or cannelure.
    While the group didn't raise eyebrows, the velocity did. The group would have been smaller without a couple of flyers.
    This goes to show that we haven't reached the limits of powder coating, and that we will require more care in bullet selection and preparation, and in cartridge assembly.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.