MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Longshot powder in 45 colt

Longshot powder in 45 colt

I started using Longshot powder in 45 colt last year when Brian Pearces mid level 45 colt load article came out. It has proven very accurate for me. I shot a lot of 2400 before and Longshot has far lower spreads, burns cleaner, runs through my powder measure better, and list goes on. Have any of you experienced good things with Longshot in handgun loads? I'm using home cast, pcd bullets. I've only used Longshot with my mp 270saa, mp 45 carbine, and mp 308k. All weighing between 280 and 308g. I'm liking the powder. I've only used cci300 and wlps. I have 5000 federal lpm primers that I'm sitting on but don't shoot much true magnum powders.

Boolit Master
    I use Longshot in .45acp. Seems to work just fine.

Boolit Master
    I haven't used Longshot in .45 Colt, but I like it a lot in my 10mm loads using 175 - 200 grain bullets, either cast or jacketed.

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of velocity are you running with this powder?

1075 with 280g bullet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    1075 with 280g bullet
    I would not use that load in a colt made single action army or the Italian colt replicas there of.

Boolit Master
    I’ve heard shotgunners refer to it as Loudshot! Ha!

I’ve used it in .357 Magnum with good results.
    It does very well in 40 and 10mm.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    I load 28g with it, and if you can tell me the 2 in 5 rounds that are factory vs the home rolled I'll buy you a Coke.

Boolit Master
    Long before Brian’s article I started using it to load various shot shell loads. I finally got around to using it for 9mm cast bullet loads. I shot a couple of PPC semiautomatic National records using it. When I won a Winchester M94 in .45Colt, it seemed a natural.
    I’ve since obtained my “grail” gun, a S&W 625 Mountain Gun. Brian’s loads are SPLENDID! However, for my S.E. hunting needs, a 255gr Lee RFN over 9.0gr of LongShot is all I need. It runs 950fps and is tack driver accurate. No expansion needed. It’ll shoot lengthwise through a 120lb doe.
    When I go back to Wyoming this fall, It’ll be loaded with 275gr RCBS SAA SWC’s over the 11.2gr of LongShot… 1,050fps from my 4”S&W.

Boolit Master
    I like Longshot in the .45 ACP, when shooting upper loads just for fun. In a semi auto, it sounds like the bullet is getting hammered out of the case - I like that. In my 3” .357, it hammers my hand and doesn’t produce as much speed as other powders that produce less recoil (prefer HS-6). Hodgdon and Nosler have some screaming fast data in the .40 S&W with Longshot.
    There’s not much cast data with Longshot in the calibers I shoot, not exactly sure why. I wouldn’t use it for carry ammo, because of the sound. It gets the brass noticeably hotter than other powders I’ve used, which could shorten the brass life.