Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bullseye in shotguns

Boolit Buddy

Bullseye in shotguns

Why do newer shotshell manuals have no data for bullseye? I understand there could be a better choice but if ya have 8lbs you want it to be as versatile as possible. Maybe there were past experiences I'm not familiar with that caused bullseye to become unfavored for 12ga shotshell. Sure would like to find an old Lyman shotshell manual from years past....

Boolit Master

I stole this off of another site. I have tried a couple and they seem to work well. The internet is never wrong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullseyeloads.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	313874
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

No one wants to shoot tried and true loads or use proven components. A lot of the load data for shotgun loads are predicated on the wads they use. Hence the manufacturers have to develop the "next generation" of wads and powders and the old standbys are used by the old shooters. Which I am proud to be a part of.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

12 ga loads are listed printed complimentary guide circa 1997 ish using wads that are available now. There used to be a spot on here that had older scanned powder guides from Dupont / IMR, Alliant, and others.

Boolit Master

Ballistic Products publishes a lot of loads using Bullseye. A lot of these loads are using their Spreader loads, which I shoot a lot of, but they usually are loads at 1400 or 1500 fps, and I don't want to run shot that fast.

Shot a Bullseye load in 12 gauge 40 years ago. Straight out of the freebie Hercules manual.

Never made that mistake again.

Kind of like shooting hand grenades. Nasty bark and a blinding tulip of flame from the end of the barrel on the skeet field under the mediocre lights.

Recoil was SHARP.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm surprised that bullseye wasn't finished burning at the end of a shotgun barrel.

Boolit Master
    It's good stuff for light loads, it's the only powder I've ever seen that will propel the wad out of the shotgun at velocity that would normally cause a "poof" load with other powder. I once dented a 1.25" wooden garage door outward after what I thought would be a Poof! load turned out to be a "Bang" load.

Boolit Man
    Win AA case, 209 primer,gray wad,16 grains Bullseye, 7/8 Oz. shot in a 12 gauge. Been using it as a practice load for 2 decades.

I made up my own load for 410 with Bullseye to increase the amount of shot in a 2 1/2 " and 3" hulls and it worked. Sometime I will see about 20 and 12 ga .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=trapper9260;5575788]I made up my own load for 410 with Bullseye to increase the amount of shot in a 2 1/2 " and 3" hulls and it worked. Sometime I will see about 20 and 12 ga .
    Is bullseye powder in the .410 bore a typo?

Boolit Master

I inherited a cardboard drum of Bullseye many moons ago. I shot up every grain of with 7/8 and 1 oz skeet loads out of a Super-x auto and 870s. The recoil was so light that it would not set the inertia hammers of a Citori O/U. At 16-17 gr. load, I did not have to clean the barrels for years.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the load suggestions guys, this is exactly what I wanted to use it for!

Boolit Master

Bullseye was used a good bit in shotguns back years ago. You can find loads in old shotgun load manuals to give you the loads used, but many of the old wads, primers, and hulls are no longer around. I use light to medium level loads of Bullseye (less than 14 gr.) in my 12 gauge short buckshot loads so that the powder takes up less room in the case. I get really nice patterns and although certainly not a powder for heavy loads by any means, the velocity is still plenty fast enough to let the target know it was hit. Like with the old PB and other really fast burning powders, the shot pattern and the condition of the spent wad will tell you a lot about the charge.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    I use handgun brass to load “.410 Shorts” for my.410’s.
    A .44mag or .45Colt that hasn’t seen a “Ruger only” load using 5gr of Bullseye and 7/16” card wads load a splendid 0.4oz load. Runs about 1,000fps with lead shot.
    I use a full case of used walnut hull polishing media to shoot carpenter bees.

I keep Bullseye on hand as it’s the best cast bullet powder for revolvers I’ve ever found.