Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The “22 Long” cartridge – uses today?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

The “22 Long” cartridge – uses today?

When I was a kid, some 60 years ago – my brother and I hunted squirrels & rabbits with several different rifles. Dad would only let us use 22 Shorts because he would point to a box of 22 LR to where it was printed “Danger – Range 1 Mile”. The 22 shorts did everything we needed them to, and as I recall, we had boxes of 22 LRs in the in the gun cabinet as that was all Dad’s Winchester 63 could shoot – and we were using a Remington pump and a Winchester Model 69 with the shorts as they were chambered in 22 Short, Long or Long Rifle.

So, the parent cartridge of the 22 Long was the 22 Short, both of which started out as plack powder cartridges. I’m sure that there were rifles that were chambered in 22 Long and the cartridge was also used in revolvers of the day.

The other day, I was going through some things and I discovered an ammo can full of 22 ammo that I had forgotten about as I had slid it under the loading bench and it was out of view because of the containers of brass I had stacked in front of it. When I opened it up, I remembered that most of it was from my folk’s house when I had settled the estate and split the ammo with my brother – some boxes of Remington Shorts from the early 60s, some from the 50s, etc. I had also put sone 100 count boxes of CCI in there – all Shorts but one box = some I had purchased during the Bamarama Shortage. I was surprised to see a 100 count box of CCI 22 Longs. I’m sure I must have picked them up one of the times that I had gone up to Tucson to get and number and stand in line, hoping to be able to buy ammo. The box of 22 Long must have been the only thing left when my number was called and I picked them up figuring that I could shoot them in my Henry or in one of the revolvers I had at the time.

The finding of the box of 22 Longs got me to wondering about that particular cartridge. I may have shot some 22 Long at some point, but I sure can’t remember it – it’s heck getting old. A check on the internet confirmed that CCI still makes it – and others may too but I didn’t find any. Other than maybe some older rifles being chambered in 22 Long, it seems like today, semi-autos are pretty much 22 Long Rifle – some rifles are still made and marked 22 Short, Long or Long Rifle. BUT – how many actually shoot the 22 Long cartridge and for what purpose?

I’m just getting interested in shooting 22s again after a long vacation from them – seems like there is such a variety now (if available) – Standard Velocity, High Velocity, Extra High Velocity, SubSonic, CB Caps (we used to use these as a kid to nail gophers), Shorts, etc. Other than a Standard Velocity or Low Velocity 22 Long that could possibly be used in an old rifle chamgerec in the 22 Long – it seems to me that the 22 Long is pretty much obsolete? Or am I missing something? Is there a circumstance where some folks like to use the 22 Long? There must be a demand for the 22 Long if CCI and possibly others are still producing it. Would love to hear from those that use the 22 Long and why they use it. Advantages as compared to Short/Long Rifle?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I have a couple boxes of old Remington .22 long that I was given by a friend after his dad passed away. I've shot a few and don't see much of an advantage over shorts or long rifle lengths. I like to shoot shorts, just because they are so quiet - longs have a bit softer report than LR but it's hard to tell much difference.

Boolit Master
    Back when I started shooting 22s, we found out that the LRs were slightly more expensive than the LRs or shorts. So we bought the LRs or shorts whatever struck our fancy

I am interested as well. The 22 Long is obsolete considering all practical purposes, and I never see any, or hear of anyone needing it. I do find the history of it to be quite interesting though.

The 22 long used the same 29 grain bullet as the 22 short. The 22 extra long used a 40 grain bullet. J Stevens company combined the 22 extra long bullet with the 22 long case to make the 22 LR in 1887. It touched on the right balance of bullet weight and velocity for accuracy.

I do shoot 22 shorts sometimes still, more for nostalgia reasons than for actual need.

Boolit Buddy
    I was in my LGS 2 weeks ago and saw CCI 22Long in the 100 round plastic boxes. I commented that it has been years since I saw 22 longs. The own er commented that 20 boxes came in the week before. He has a standard order with his supplier and they ship him whatever they get in.
    Why CCI made 22 long when they can't make 22LR fast enough is weird.

At Pete’s grocery, Shorts were cheapest, longs were a few cents higher, and LRs a few cents higher still- a staggering 75 cents!
    Us boys never could prove that Longs did anything better than Shorts or Long Rifle in Dads 511 Remington- so we passed them up.
    I DO like the CCI CB Longs, though.
    I think I remember reading that the first 1890 Winchester pump .22 rifles were chambered in .22 Short only or .22 Long only, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwiw - back in the previous century several manufactures produced repeating rifles { slide actions } that would not feed .22lr at all + required the use of the long cartridge only - -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    .22lr gets used in almost everything today.

.22 short gets used when required by law (trapping)

.22 long rarely gets used anymore.

The little Beretta 950 BS (Minx) will only shoot shorts.
    You could load a passel of shorts in a Henry lever gun.

Boolit Master

When I purchased my 10/22 in 1975 the clerk sold me a carton of Longs. He obviously didn't know what he was doing and I didn't bother to check. That first range trip was a real disappointment. But I had My Colt Peacemaker .22 with Me so it wasn't a total bust. That same clerk tried to sell Me 2 boxes of .222Rem for My Mini-14 in.223 a few months later.

I've checked every box label and visually checked the ammo too. To make sure it matches what I asked for.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I have a couple of old rifles that will only shoot shorts or longs. Back in the late 50's all I was allowed to shoot was shorts. When I was old enough to buy my own I shot a lot of longs. I still have a little Browning take down auto that only shoots shorts.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    I've fired a few .22 Longs, but I bet the total isn't over twenty five or thirty. I do have a 100 round box of CCI Longs in the stash, why I don't know.

As I understand it the .22 Short was developed in the 1850's by S&W. The Long followed a decade or so later, still using the 29 grain bullet. Then the .22 extra long with a 40 grain bullet and I think six grains of BP (I doubt anyone is still alive from when the extra long was being manufactured). The .22 Long rifle was developed by Stevens as a combination of the Long case and the extra long 40 grain bullet in 1887. The first rounds weren't crimped, that wasn't necessary for the single shots, but was for the repeaters that shortly followed.

The Short and Long utilize a 1:20 twist, the Long rifle a 1:16, so in theory the lighter bullets aren't as accurate from Long Rifle barrel. In theory.

There were a number of rifles chambered for the .22 Short and a few for the .22 Long only. The Winchester 1873 comes to mind; one or the other, but not interchangeably. Winchester 1890 too. The big point of the Model 1906 was that it could handle the .22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle, I guess the Extra Long was already on its way out by then.

Moving on a few decades, there were quite few semi autos that would handle all three rounds. Remington, Stevens and Winchester all made some.

As a point of note the Winchester Model 190 that Dad bought new around 1972 was clearly marked for .22 Long or Long Rifle only. It would however cycle with Shorts when it was clean. The one that I have now is marked for .22 S, L, or LR; I believe it was made in the 1960's.

Robert

Boolit Master

Just before the big .22 "Famine" really set in I stumbled on stacks of new 50rd plastic boxes of at local small town MS Pawn/Gun shop. CCI longs
    8 bucks a box there abouts. So I bought 10 for my Model 100 Revelation Western Auto. Those things are accurate and devastating on squirrels to 50 yds. Its always fun to me to play with the odd stuff. PS haven't seen them since, but wouldn't mind stocking some more.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    In bygone days I had a Winchester 1890 in .22 long. The slow twist would not stabilize LRs. The barrel was in bad shape; I think it was a carnival shooting gallery gun. I let it go to the local gun shop for a .22 I still have.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We also had a Remington Model 24 in the gun cabinet when I was a kid - chambered in 22 Short - based on the Browning design. Tube geed through the stock. It was a "take down" design where the barrel and foreshock could be easily removed. I believe it had been a shooting gallery gun my Dad had picked up somewhere - which probably explained why the sights were "off". I worked on the sights and finally got it to shoot well enough to bag some squirrels. It always amazed me how well it ran - even when dirty it never failed to function with any brand of Shorts. When I settled my parent's estate, my brother took it to give to his son-in-law as he didn't;t have a 22 and it had sentimental thoughts attached to it. It was a well made rifle, a great design and even though the one we had showed a lot of use, it ran buttery smooth with any of those 1 cent rounds we fed it.

Interesting information on the 22 Long - appreciate the responses and information. No way of ever knowing - but it would be interesting as to what CCI's sales are for a year and what proportion is purchased by folks for a specific reason/use and what proportion is purchased by those like me that pick them up due to likitrd choices but who have a revolver or rifle they would normally shoot shorts or LR in but the Long would also work in. I guess I'm going to have to try a few "just because" but take a couple of them and put them with my small collection of antique copper case rimfire cartridges.

Interesting stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    We also had a Remington Model 24 in the gun cabinet when I was a kid - chambered in 22 Short - based on the Browning design. Tube geed through the stock. It was a "take down" design where the barrel and foreshock could be easily removed. I believe it had been a shooting gallery gun my Dad had picked up somewhere - which probably explained why the sights were "off". I worked on the sights and finally got it to shoot well enough to bag some squirrels. It always amazed me how well it ran - even when dirty it never failed to function with any brand of Shorts. When I settled my parent's estate, my brother took it to give to his son-in-law as he didn't;t have a 22 and it had sentimental thoughts attached to it. It was a well made rifle, a great design and even though the one we had showed a lot of use, it ran buttery smooth with any of those 1 cent rounds we fed it.

Interesting information on the 22 Long - appreciate the responses and information. No way of ever knowing - but it would be interesting as to what CCI's sales are for a year and what proportion is purchased by folks for a specific reason/use and what proportion is purchased by those like me that pick them up due to likitrd choices but who have a revolver or rifle they would normally shoot shorts or LR in but the Long would also work in. I guess I'm going to have to try a few "just because" but take a couple of them and put them with my small collection of antique copper case rimfire cartridges.

Interesting stuff!
    Heck i'd like to see pics of the longs as well as those copper rimfires . that sounds neat as heck.

The .22 Short had 3 grains black powder. The Long had 5 grains, following the "more is better" principle. The .22 Long Rifle also had 5 grains, but the heavier bullet meant it was slower. Thus the Long survived as having the flatter trajectory. Until smokeless powder arrived, at which point there really wasn't any rationale at all for the Long, except as a load for legacy rifles having the slow twist. Are there any of those still around?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    There have to be a few .22 Long guns still around, probably not getting shot very much though.

Look at how many of the other Forgotten Rimfires are still around and the hoops people jump through to shoot them. .25, .30, .32, .38, .41, and .44 of varying lengths; and don't forget the various Spencer cartridges.

I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating: I wish the ammunition companies would make the occasional run of rim fire ammo.

Robert

I'll second the motion in re: the .25 Stevens and the .32 Long. Lots and lots of boys' rifles still around for those, and many in good shape, too..
    Cognitive Dissident

I have Remington Rolling Block #4 that is chambered for .22 short or long. I have only run shorts through it, not caring for the devastating recoil of .22 long. I'll save that for you big game hunters....

Rusty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast