Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ball lube in a paper cartridge

The first time I used my homemade primers I was horrified at the residue they left on my rifle. I was relieved to learn that it came right off with cleaning.

To clarify the bees wax to Olive oil ratio ..it is by weight ..like 7.5 oz of bees wax and 2.5 oz of olive oil ..I realized I failed to clarify that ..the proper ratio to your ambient temperature should not have the "cap of wax/lube" popping off at loading ..so you need just a touch more of olive oil ..you need that lube in front of the bullet AND also the lube down to the powder that seating does not shear off ... that way you have lube working for you on both side of the bullet/ball

Bear

No pictures this time, but last night on a whim I made up 7 paper cartridges with the fold over method, using just the TrueWave End Papers. It was a wee bit faster, sloppier looking, but worked. I upped the Olive Oil in the beeswax considerably, but when I loaded the cartridges, the wax again cracked right off, mostly. I did get SOME in front of the ball, but not much. So, think I need maybe to add more. The mess was still epic, but everything went where it was supposed to go. Only problem was the caps - Winchester Magnum #11s, that the New Model Army would fail about half the time to set them off. Weird.

That mess is understandable and expected … at least on my home roll cartridges. No matter as I always take a rag with and wipe off my revolver between loadings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12