Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Muzzle loader over powder wads

Muzzle loader over powder wads

Any one making black powder over powder wads? If so what diameter do you make them. I have been looking at the Pedersoli 20 gauge double barrel flint lock. One barrel is .60 and the other is .625
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    I ordered the wads for over powder , and overshot wads from Ballistic Products and Track of the Wolf for my .75 cal blunderbuss.

Boolit Grand Master

I just use a 5/8" punch I got off of flea-bay and punch out milk cartons.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    + 1 on the .625 punch. Do a search for a 58" arch punch - Osborn is a long time maker of arch punches and there are other brands as well.

Another place to look is Track Of The Wolf - I believe they have some charts giving diameters, etc, for their wads/cards - which I believe are Circle Fly wards/cards - or check with Circle Fly themselves.

I have a 20 gauge flintlock Fusil-De-Chasse that is a .620 bore. I've used wads from Circle Fly for shot loads. With a patched round ball, it shoots better if I use an over the powder card under the patched ball - I've used my 5/8" Osborn arch punch (I have a wide variety of sizes for use in my leatherwork). I have punched them out of thick cardboard as well as from scrap leather that is around 1/8" - for the leather "cards" - I melt some of my BP lube, dip them and pat dry with paper towels - they work just fine. I do the same for my 36 and 44 cap and ball revolvers for over the powder wads - the leather works just fine and utilizes the scrap pieces of leather I have.

Boolit Grand Master
    I frequently use shotgun fiber wads. They flake into several over-powder wad sized wads per piece. They seem to be made with some type of wax or lube within the fibers material and then pressed into shape. Works good.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use a #11 Osbourne punch for my 20 bore cards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Why doesn't anyone just use regular shotgun wads?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Why doesn't anyone just use regular shotgun wads?
    I don't like loading them because they drag down the bore and do NOT give me any performance/pattern benefits over regular overpowder and overshot wads.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    I use the fiberwads as well. I just pick the thickness I want and peel them part. Works very well for me.

Boolit Master
    I use the cork gasket material, for automotive, pick whatever thickness needed, 1/16" to 1/2" and hand punch to cut out. I put a paper card cut wad over the powder first then the cork wad. Cheap punches from track of the wolf, harbor freight, order on line the diameter needed????

Thanks for the info. I was thinking 5/8ths would work but wanted real life experience advice.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.