WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce Just Got FIRED!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    we need a like button

I've been saying we need a like button for years ... but nobody listens to some old half blind gimpy old Cajun ... But , maybe they listen to You !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    BINGO!! That corn syrup never hurt anybody.
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/a...n-syrup-video/

The biggest problem in my opinion (worth what you pay for it) is increased inflammation of the joints and links to arthritis.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    We love Sweet Baby Ray's but stopped buying it as we are trying to cut out corn syrup and seed oils. We buy a couple of brands like Primal Kitchen but they are pricey. We make our own most of the time or just smoke the meat first and use Sauers Tenderizer. Salad dressing nothing like simple balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a touch of garlic
    I just went through the cleanse and substitute on my Tater Salad recipe, I saw Primal Kitchen but it was $10.99/12oz. Avocado oil is pretty good for you. I used Sir Kensington's mayo, it has Sunflower oil but no EDTA which every name brand commercially made mayonnaise has except for the specialty organic brands. EDTA is Calcium Disodium, a known carcinogen.

The Mt. Olive sweet relish is loaded with HFCS, and right next to it on the same shelf are the sweet gherkins (without HFCS) which I can chop into sweet relish. There are choices.

Attachment 314291 Attachment 314292

I used the sauce I made on ribs today, turned out pretty good! It's a good recipe, I certainly give it a thumbs up!

Attachment 314293
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

DougGuy, I watched many a truck of corn syrup come into their plant from Butner. They make, as you pointed out, several types of products without it. When I ran into there twice a day I got all the pickles I wanted for company wholesale employee price. Big jar of dills was $2

Boolit Master
    I prefer the smoky flavor of the meat.

If you see me reach for the sauce, I’m trying to spare your feelings.

Boolit Buddy
    I find these discussions interesting and somewhat amusing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

As a retired chemist who worked in foods for a few decades, I've made HFCS from corn starch as well as other mono and disaccharides from wheat and maize (milo) starch. The "F" in HFCS stands for fructose which is naturally occurring in fruit. From a chemical standpoint, fructose is fructose regardless of it's source. Cleve starches (polysaccharides) properly and you can get fructose (also glucose/dextrose and sucrose - table sugar).

In any case, if some people knew what is ALLOWED in a variety of foodstuffs they probably would quit eating. Spices are especially interesting.

Enjoy your BBQ sauce of choice...

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    In any case, if some people knew what is ALLOWED in a variety of foodstuffs they probably would quit eating. Spices are especially interesting.Enjoy your BBQ sauce of choice...
    Burn the witch!

The next thing ya know, he'll tell us how much rodent hair, poop, mold, insect parts, and maggots are allowed in food by the govt.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Burn the witch!

The next thing ya know, he'll tell us how much rodent hair, poop, mold, insect parts, and maggots are allowed in food by the govt.
    I'd never do such a thing. However, if anyone is interested check out Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Just be sure to stock up on lots of caffeinated beverages as it can get quite dry and boring.

I'd never do such a thing. However, if anyone is interested check out Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Just be sure to stock up on lots of caffeinated beverages as it can get quite dry and boring.
    I just did a quickie search for 'rodent content allowed in food' to get the condensed version.
    With all the 'impurities' allowed--- we're basically eating raw sewage.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    Check out the allowed microbiological loads (standard plate counts) allowed in black pepper...

Years ago, there was a one picture cartoon of this big giant tank that had a long set of stairs going up to the top of it
    with a 'so-and'so' soup company logo painted on the side. on it.

At the top, a couple of executives in suits and a guy wearing a chef hat were holding a big ladle and sampling the soup.
    One executive is looking at the other and said, "I think it needs a little more rodent feces".

My ex-inlaws lived in Baltimore. When we'd go up and visit, right down the road from them was a huge
    McCormick Spice Co. building that was so big, it might have had its own Zip code.

A little while before I got out of the Service, someone asked me what I was going to do.
    I told them I wasn't sure, but I might apply at the spice factory and try to get a job picking fly **** out of pepper.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-24-2023 at 12:07 AM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    The fly **** might be a little challenging as are the rodent droppings in whole peppercorns. Once ground up they all pretty much taste the same...

Moderator Emeritus

Why I only buy whole peppercorns that are sifted... and watch then as they go in the mill! Rodent droppings aren't round balls!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Why I only buy whole peppercorns that are sifted... and watch then as they go in the mill! Rodent droppings aren't round balls!
    An excellent choice!

Now, do you know the microbial load? Have they been ethylene oxide treated to knock down the 1 million or more standard plate count? Don't get me wrong, I agree with doing what you can to mitigate exposures, just don't have a false sense of security...

Boolit Grand Master

DougGuy, I correct myself. The corn syrup came in on a railcar spur. Not sure what I was thinking as I talked with Carl many days while he was unloading.
    I think the natural stuff was called Simply Pickles or something like that

Moderator Emeritus

An excellent choice!

Now, do you know the microbial load? Have they been ethylene oxide treated to knock down the 1 million or more standard plate count? Don't get me wrong, I agree with doing what you can to mitigate exposures, just don't have a false sense of security...
    They have to be tested to USDA requirements... I buy from The Spice House, a very reputable spice dealer who moves tons of spices every year.

I buy a pound at a time... https://www.thespicehouse.com/produc...ry-peppercorns

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    They have to be tested to USDA requirements... I buy from The Spice House, a very reputable spice dealer who moves tons of spices every year.

I buy a pound at a time... https://www.thespicehouse.com/produc...ry-peppercorns
    I don't dispute that, and that's the point. Most people are not aware of the standards (or lack thereof) for the foods that we eat. We've been eating those foods for all of our lives. Some people get hyper once they discover that what they thought was "pure" really isn't. That doesn't make it bad, just different than what one was led to believe.

If that is bothersome then, by all means, do the research and change eating habits. Support those companies and products that meet your personal desires. Have choices...

My dad used to say we all eat a bushel of dirt before we die.
    I think he may have been in error; I think it is more like a dump truck full.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    My dad used to say we all eat a bushel of dirt before we die.
    I think he may have been in error; I think it is more like a dump truck full.
    IMHO that is a good thing. I've held the belief that everyone needs to eat a little dirt - regularly. It helps maintain a healthy immune system. Kind of goes along the lines that certain studies indicate - children who grow up in homes with pets generally are healthier and have fewer allergies. I tend to disapprove of the regular use of hard surface sanitizers for the same reason. They have their uses for sure, but not to try to maintain a sterile living environment.

IMHO that is a good thing. I've held the belief that everyone needs to eat a little dirt - regularly. It helps maintain a healthy immune system. Kind of goes along the lines that certain studies indicate - children who grow up in homes with pets generally are healthier and have fewer allergies. I tend to disapprove of the regular use of hard surface sanitizers for the same reason. They have their uses for sure, but not to try to maintain a sterile living environment.
    I have always subscribed to the 5 second rule, but I need to be a little faster than that to beat the dog to it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast