WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce Just Got FIRED!

Moderator Emeritus

I was motiviated to Google high fructose corn syrup. On the one hand, it's not as bad as ingesting, say, lead paint chips . However it is NOT, imho, something one may wish to include in one's diet! Two links notweworthy -- if you, too, have interest, are: https://www.webmd.com/diet/what-to-k...ose-corn-syrup and https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...nd-weight-gain .
    Thank you for your "clone" of SBR's! And, the link for the Korean hot sauce.
    geo

Boolit Master
    High fructose corn syrup is sugar. Nothing more. Nothing less. Too much sugar from ANY source is not good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    No matter which one-- It's all nothing but various combinations of salt and grease served with a cup of sugar water.
    Where are you going with this, Ed?

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Forgive me Father, I have SINNED! I have thrown in the TRASH a big unopened bottle and half another bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's.

Why? Look at the ingredients on the bottle, the first ingredient is HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. It being first on the list means that SBR's is nearly ALL HFCS! This is an incredibly harmful and very unhealthy sweetener, and nearly every commercially made product uses it, and for nearly every successful (read: well loved) commercially made product, there is a healthier alternative, and so I made this today, so far it is REALLY good!

Just Like Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cup ketchup (I used Heinz Organic ketchup, NO HFCS!)
    • 3/4 cup brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup molasses (I substituted Sorghum Syrup)
    • 1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice (preferably no sugar added)
    • 2 tablespoons EACH: Worcestershire sauce AND apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon EACH: dry mustard powder AND smoked paprika
    • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    • 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon EACH: black pepper AND onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional (I used a good looooong squirt of Kim Kim Korean Hot Sauce)

Instructions

1. COMBINE: Add 1/3 cup water along with all the ingredients listed to a saucepan and whisk until smooth. When all the lumps have been worked out, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. SIMMER: When it starts bubbling, lower the heat so it just simmers and allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes until it thickens. Keep in mind the sauce will thicken even further as it cools so you don’t want to cook it too much longer than that
    3. SERVE: brush on meats or poultry when grilling, as a sauce for pizza, or as a base for dips and dressings!

4. STORE: Covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course the recipe may need tweaking or adjusting to your tastes, but 15 minutes into this effort, I am already impressed with the results!

About the Kim Kim Korean hot sauce. It started as a couple hundred years old family recipe, and it is now bottled and sold in the US on a small scale. It is definitely a great Asian flavor, made with fermented soy paste and fermented chili paste, not too terribly hot, but OH MAN! The flavor!!! It's flavor profile folds right in with a good sweet tangy spicy southern style BBQ sauce.

Here is a link if you would like to order some, my house will (hopefully) never be without it! https://ashmanco.com/ars/kim-kim-korean-hot-sauce/
    And all this time I thought a vinegar-based mop sauce was the only kind legal in North Carolina. Maybe that was South Carolina?

Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    And all this time I thought a vinegar-based mop sauce was the only kind legal in North Carolina. Maybe that was South Carolina?

Wayne
    Depends on where you are - the further west you go you are likely to get into a mustard sauce. Unfortunately the tomato based sauces have taken over everywhere - just as tomato catsup has overwhelmed all the other catsups that once existed. Vinegar based is my go to, and I rub my ribs before I smoke them or the Boston Butt as well, so the sauce is largely unnecessary.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I've always bought KC brand BBQ sauce. Pretty good. But, last month I was in my favorite store, Bi-Mart, and every Tuesday they post a list of membership numbers. It is supposedly a membership store, and back in about 1988 I had to pay $1 to get a card that has a number on it. Mine is 3xxxxx5. Now they're in the above 5000000 number, and I think they cost $5. They seem to have no use at all except if you want to pay with a check, or for Lucky Number Tuesday.

Every Tuesday they post a list of lucky winner numbers. There's a big prize of some nice item you might want like a snow blower, and then maybe 25 lesser winners. I'm seldom there on Tuesday, but this time I happened to be there, checked the list, and there was only one 3 million number on it, most were 4s and 5s. At the checkout the lady asked if I'd checked the list and I said I had, no luck, just one 3 million number. She asked to see my card and then said I was a winner anyway because my card number ended in 5, and presented me with a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce of which she had about a dozen bottles sitting on a side counter. Oh, joy! So I tried it, and it's pretty good, different from KC. I painted some pieces of chicken with it about 15 min. before I took them out of the oven.

Now, as for hot sauce, I dearly love it. The best I've found, after trying many, is La Victoria Salsa Brava, followed closely by La Victoria Chunky Jalapeno. I gifted a bottle of Salsa Brava to my amigo TbG's son, another hot sauce fan, but haven't received any feedback. When I see it in the store again I'm going to send him a bottle of Crapper John's hot sauce. I tried and didn't care for Frank's Original hot sauce because it's vinegary, like Tabasco which I also dislike. My go to for a topping for many foods is Pace Picante Sauce (Red Lid--Hot), not a hot sauce from New Yawk City! Try La Victoria Salsa Brava on your steak, fries, eggs....bet you'll like it. I use Salsa at a ratio of 10:1 more than BBQ sauce, but I do like it.

DG

I have used the recipe from Steve Raichlen's earlier BBQ book, and it is surprisingly good. You might have seen his show on the Create channel (Hi, my name is Wayne and I watch the Create Channel.) Liquid smoke is a food group.

Wayne

Banned

ill use it. i doubt in a year i consume 12 ounces of it. the meat i put it on is probably a heck of alot worse for me. personally i could care less. iid rather live to 75 eating what i want then a crippled up 90 eating lettuce. you aint taking sugar or salt away from me. i lived through getting shot at an accident that killed 3 out of 7 of us and spent nearly a year in a military hospital and to date have had 14 surgerys because of it' ive been living on borrowed time since i was 20. some flipping barbeque sause is suppose to scare me because it has sugar in it
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-15-2023 at 06:55 AM.

I’m game. I plan on trying your bbq sauce and looking forward to it.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Sodium is a toxic heavy metal .
    Chlorine is a toxic heavier than air gas .
    Iodine is a toxic heavy metal .
    Methyl alcohol is a poison.
    Bad news kids 3 of the 4 are in your kitchen and you use them and consume them 3 a day probably more .
    2 are disinfectants .
    3 are infact needed to sustain life .

Back in the 1970s sacrine was death in grandmas purse .
    When the actual test data for the cancer threshold was released the average would have to consume 72 12oz Tabs every day for about 6months to reach the rat intake that caused cancer .

I'm not a good example but my first baby picture was an X ray .
    Also several of the fake sweeteners react the same as alcohol so I can be both hammered and cold sober on a 44 oz Dr Pepper. I mean it's a good time and all but they don't like me that happy at work when I'm jonesing for a coke but have to check the sugar .
    I also drink 2-3 gallons of municipal water every day w/o boiling off the chlorine and the tungsten, arsnic, and gawd knows what else out of the surface well water of my youth strained through alfalfa , oat , wheat , and corn fields hasn't killed me yet ......my liver IS paying for the MEK in my late 20s .

We're all going to die of something eventually, after all conception is the one cause of death no one can escape . Every living thing on the planet ....... except maybe quaking aspens will eventually die . One may as well enjoy living.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Sodium is a toxic heavy metal .
    Chlorine is a toxic heavier than air gas .
    Iodine is a toxic heavy metal .
    Methyl alcohol is a poison.
    Bad news kids 3 of the 4 are in your kitchen and you use them and consume them 3 a day probably more .
    2 are disinfectants .
    3 are infact needed to sustain life .

Back in the 1970s sacrine was death in grandmas purse .
    When the actual test data for the cancer threshold was released the average would have to consume 72 12oz Tabs every day for about 6months to reach the rat intake that caused cancer .

I'm not a good example but my first baby picture was an X ray .
    Also several of the fake sweeteners react the same as alcohol so I can be both hammered and cold sober on a 44 oz Dr Pepper. I mean it's a good time and all but they don't like me that happy at work when I'm jonesing for a coke but have to check the sugar .
    I also drink 2-3 gallons of municipal water every day w/o boiling off the chlorine and the tungsten, arsnic, and gawd knows what else out of the surface well water of my youth strained through alfalfa , oat , wheat , and corn fields hasn't killed me yet ......my liver IS paying for the MEK in my late 20s .

We're all going to die of something eventually, after all conception is the one cause of death no one can escape . Every living thing on the planet ....... except maybe quaking aspens will eventually die . One may as well enjoy living.
    we need a like button

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    we need a like button
    YES!!! We need a like button.

Boolit Bub
    hfcs you better look out for artificial flavor

artificial flavor
    is any non-natural substance that is used to create flavors in foods, beverages, or medications. That means that artificial flavors can be made up of pretty much anything except natural substances, and it is unlikely that the origin of the flavors will be identified.

My favorite food is the White Russian drink. It has four of the five things the doctor tells you not to consume.

Wayne

Boolit Master
    I got tired of most salad dressings. We have Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, I combined 1/2 SBRs sauce with 1/2 Ranch salad dressing & wow, a new taste!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

I do not like SBR, I ruined some venison using it in a recipe I found online. I had never tasted it, I should have before adding it, then it would not have happened. I do not like the sweetness, it is much too sweet, I would much rather have more spice than sweet such as a standard Hickory Smoke sauce by Heinz or Jack Daniels.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    If you want to buy OTC BBQ sauce, "Ernest Stubbs" has a variety of low sugar sauces.
    Check them out via the internet, I buy mine at WalMart.
    I use "Stubbs Original Bar-B-Q Sauce" and have been for quite awhile. No HFC, just plain 'ol sugar.

Although I think I am going to give DougGuy's recipe a try. Thanks for the recipe!

Boolit Grand Master

If the Sweet Baby Ray's doesn't get me then the fried and seasoned Hog Cracklin's will !

The Best Stop Market in Scott Louisiana ( www.beststopinscott.com ) has come out with some healthier "Cracklins "...
    not hog but Chicken Cracklins ... I ate a bag of them before I could stop myself ...
    I'm going to get more ... they was good hot and as a midnight snack ... cold .
    It can't be good for you , they taste way too good !

I enjoy eating and don't feel living longer is a good enough excuse to eat poor tasting food .
    If eating Vegan would allow me to live to be 150 years old ...
    I don't think I could do it ... I have to enjoy my food and I can make some good eats ...
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-19-2023 at 12:19 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

We love Sweet Baby Ray's but stopped buying it as we are trying to cut out corn syrup and seed oils. We buy a couple of brands like Primal Kitchen but they are pricey. We make our own most of the time or just smoke the meat first and use Sauers Tenderizer. Salad dressing nothing like simple balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a touch of garlic
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

I am in the savory not sweet camp... SBR is way to sugary for me... Ken Davis is okay... I grew up on Open Pit BBQ sauce which was more savory than sweet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast