Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce Just Got FIRED!

Vendor Sponsor

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce Just Got FIRED!

Forgive me Father, I have SINNED! I have thrown in the TRASH a big unopened bottle and half another bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's.

Why? Look at the ingredients on the bottle, the first ingredient is HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. It being first on the list means that SBR's is nearly ALL HFCS! This is an incredibly harmful and very unhealthy sweetener, and nearly every commercially made product uses it, and for nearly every successful (read: well loved) commercially made product, there is a healthier alternative, and so I made this today, so far it is REALLY good!

Just Like Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cup ketchup (I used Heinz Organic ketchup, NO HFCS!)
    • 3/4 cup brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup molasses (I substituted Sorghum Syrup)
    • 1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice (preferably no sugar added)
    • 2 tablespoons EACH: Worcestershire sauce AND apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon EACH: dry mustard powder AND smoked paprika
    • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    • 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon EACH: black pepper AND onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional (I used a good looooong squirt of Kim Kim Korean Hot Sauce)

Instructions

1. COMBINE: Add 1/3 cup water along with all the ingredients listed to a saucepan and whisk until smooth. When all the lumps have been worked out, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. SIMMER: When it starts bubbling, lower the heat so it just simmers and allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes until it thickens. Keep in mind the sauce will thicken even further as it cools so you don’t want to cook it too much longer than that
    3. SERVE: brush on meats or poultry when grilling, as a sauce for pizza, or as a base for dips and dressings!

4. STORE: Covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course the recipe may need tweaking or adjusting to your tastes, but 15 minutes into this effort, I am already impressed with the results!

About the Kim Kim Korean hot sauce. It started as a couple hundred years old family recipe, and it is now bottled and sold in the US on a small scale. It is definitely a great Asian flavor, made with fermented soy paste and fermented chili paste, not too terribly hot, but OH MAN! The flavor!!! It's flavor profile folds right in with a good sweet tangy spicy southern style BBQ sauce.

Here is a link if you would like to order some, my house will (hopefully) never be without it! https://ashmanco.com/ars/kim-kim-korean-hot-sauce/
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-09-2023 at 06:00 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Forgive me Father, I have SINNED! I have thrown in the TRASH a big unopened bottle and half another bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's.

Why? Look at the ingredients on the bottle, the first ingredient is HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. It being first on the list means that SBR's is nearly ALL HFCS! This is an incredibly harmful and very unhealthy sweetener, and nearly every commercially made product uses it, and for nearly every successful (read: well loved) commercially made product, there is a healthier alternative, and so I made this today, so far it is REALLY good!

Just Like Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cup ketchup (I used Heinz Organic ketchup, NO HFCS!)
    • 3/4 cup brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup molasses (I substituted Sorghum Syrup)
    • 1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice (preferably no sugar added)
    • 2 tablespoons EACH: Worcestershire sauce AND apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon EACH: dry mustard powder AND smoked paprika
    • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    • 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon EACH: black pepper AND onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional (I used a good looooong squirt of Kim Kim Korean Hot Sauce)

Instructions

1. COMBINE: Add 1/3 cup water along with all the ingredients listed to a saucepan and whisk until smooth. When all the lumps have been worked out, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. SIMMER: When it starts bubbling, lower the heat so it just simmers and allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes until it thickens. Keep in mind the sauce will thicken even further as it cools so you don’t want to cook it too much longer than that
    3. SERVE: brush on meats or poultry when grilling, as a sauce for pizza, or as a base for dips and dressings!

4. STORE: Covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course the recipe may need tweaking or adjusting to your tastes, but 15 minutes into this effort, I am already impressed with the results!

About the Kim Kim Korean hot sauce. It started as a couple hundred years old family recipe, and it is now bottled and sold in the US on a small scale. It is definitely a great Asian flavor, made with fermented soy paste and fermented chili paste, not too terribly hot, but OH MAN! The flavor!!! It's flavor profile folds right in with a good sweet tangy spicy southern style BBQ sauce.

Here is a link if you would like to order some, my house will (hopefully) never be without it! https://ashmanco.com/ars/kim-kim-korean-hot-sauce/

The main office is just up the road in Austin, Texas. I have met the guy and he isn't very friendly. I prefer my own BBQ sauce.

ACC

I like a bottle of Kraft Hickory flavored sauce to start with.

Add a cup of dark brown brown sugar, ketchup and mustard to taste. Maybe a dollop of honey for glaze.

Quick, simple, satisfying, and extremely close to what I grew up with. Momma was raised in West Texas, El Paso Del Norte. Grandpa was border patrol.

Dad was a ND/Minnesota farm boy in the service in the last year of WWII. Ran into mom at the Methodist Church. The rest as they say is history.

I grew up eating and cooking New Orleans Creole, West Texas Tex/mex and ND depression food.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Love SBR sauce-- and I wouldn't get too excited about HFCS-- They are not in themselves harmful to health-- they are harmful when used as the primary sweetener for lots of drinks and foods. It's the high quantity of HFCS some people consume that is the issue. A little on the meat is no problem.
    Hick: Iron sights!

There are no toxic substances---- only harmful and toxic levels of various things.

If you really want a scare-- read the analysis of what's in, and how much of it, is in your water supply.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I too like SBR's, but prefer Head Country, especially on my pulled pork! This thread is making me hungry...

I figure something is going to kill me sooner or later. Age is the most likely suspect at this point with me.
    I'd still rather eat most anything prepared at home than any of that expensive crap they try to pass off as food at a drive-through place.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I actually prefer the Ray's Original no sugar added BBQ sauce. Nice smokey flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    crap they try to pass off as food at a drive-through place.
    No matter which one-- It's all nothing but various combinations of salt and grease served with a cup of sugar water.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    No matter which one-- It's all nothing but various combinations of salt and grease served with a cup of sugar water.
    lol yep

I like Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce. It is HFCS free, and it's the best flavor of all the ones i've tried anyways. My wife avoids HFCS. I dont care for it, but i dont avoid it.

Boolit Master

Sweet Baby Rays is my go to BBQ Sauce.

Boolit Master
    I’m not giving it up. I’m going to die of something anyway. Smog can kill you, tap water from most municipalities, drunk drivers, drinking, second hand smoke, etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. Ooops, I almost forgot a very bad one that I use all the time…..bacon. I say, “eat, drink, and enjoy life”. That or become a Bubble Boy. As an aside, I’ll be happy to try some of your sauce. I like to live on the edge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I’m not giving it up. I’m going to die of something anyway. Smog can kill you, tap water from most municipalities, drunk drivers, drinking, second hand smoke, etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. Ooops, I almost forgot a very bad one that I use all the time…..bacon. I say, “eat, drink, and enjoy life”. That or become a Bubble Boy. As an aside, I’ll be happy to try some of your sauce. I like to live on the edge.
    I agree. Ilove it and have 10 bottles in the 'preps'. It isn't like I am eating a bottle a week.
    Don Verna

Another one here thats not worried about it. Sweet Baby Rays is the one we always use IF we use a sauce. I think we have 2 bottles in the pantry and a bottle in the fridge. Since the only thing we use it for is pulled pork or little smokies, a bottle typically lasts us about 2 years. 99% of the time we use a dry rub.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    BINGO!! That corn syrup never hurt anybody.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Yaoooza....I squirt a bunch into a bowl and put 2 tablespoons of fresh ground pepper from my pepper mill and squeeze about 1/2 a small lemon and mix in.....my fav SBR
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I prefer my own sauce as it is concentrated in taste and not concentrated in sugars.
    The first item on the contents list is the highest % of all the items in the contents, not almost, is actually true, by federal labeling regulation. In my home we read labels, because of restricted consumption. Not really a diet, prohibited items by medical necessity.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

And here I was worried they put rainbows and weirdos on the bottles!

Boolit Master

If you want to buy OTC BBQ sauce, "Ernest Stubbs" has a variety of low sugar sauces.
    Check them out via the internet, I buy mine at WalMart.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast