RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 mm advice

Boolit Buddy

10 mm advice

I was at a local gun shop last evening, I had been watching for something to carry when I hike in the mountains. Main reason is defense against the off chance a black bear decides to see how tender I am. Also, there have been several rabid animals shot in my area the last couple years, fox, coon.
    At the shop they had a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 chambered in 10mm. It was the compact version with a 4 inch barrel. It was listed at 499+tax and $10 background check fee. Figured that will fill my need quite well, so it followed me home. Problem is, I spent all my "fun money" on it, and need to find a way to feed it. My income is not that great. (teaching at a Christian school does not pay that well!) My mentor has some 10mm brass he will sell me (cheap), I have 50+lbs of COWW and also several lbs pewter. What mold would you recommend? I like Lee molds, but they do not offer a 200 grain mold. With the possibility of bear, I would like a 200 grain bullet, but maybe that is not at all necessary. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing some bullets to start with, that way I don't have to spend on a mold right away.
    When it comes to powder, the only pistol powder I have is Unique. From what I have found, that may not be the best for 10mm due to higher pressures/lower velocity than some other powders. I am thinking that maybe I could use the unique for lower velocity plinking loads (800-900fps?) and purchasing some other powder for a defense load (1100-1200fps) What powder should that be Blue Dot? Power Pistol? Prefer a powder that is still available without being too pricey.
    I am not new to cast, but primarily have shot cast in my rifles the past 5 years. This past year I used 200 grain cast in my 358 Win to take my buck and doe. But the handgun thing is newer to me. I have shot handgun before, but not too much. I also shot Buffalo Bore's 45 acp 255 grain +P in my Ruger SR45, and that recoil did not bother me too much.
    I also should mention that before purchasing it I shot my mentor's M&P in 45 acp and shot well with it. That is also part of the reason I went with M&P.
    So any good advice in general to offer me concerning the 10mm? Pitfalls to avoid? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Look at NOE. Al is currently running a 15% off sale and you can stack code FLT001 for another 10% off. They arent as cheap as Lee molds no, but they are very very nice to work with!

I use Blue Dot in my 10mm. Doesn't mean you cant make something else work though. Look through your book for powders and see whats available to you. Until you can get exactly what you want, this will at least get you started

Boolit Buddy
    i use the lee 401-175 with IMR 800x a cheap mold and i shoot full power loads through my 2.0 and it shoots great!

Boolit Buddy
    There was a group by a few years ago for 200 gr WFN made by MP-Molds (link to GB below). You might contact him to see if he has some overruns stashed away, if that is something that interests you.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    RCBS #10mm-200-SWC takes 5.7-6.4 grains of Unique (1.250” OAL) for a max velocity of 1,161 fps from a 5” barrel.

Boolit Master
    If you want to try out some good 200 grain RNFP bullets to see how your new gun likes them, I can definitely recommend these from Montana Bullet Works:

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-200gr-wfn-pb/

These are very accurate in my two Springfield 10mms.

For powder, Unique will do very well for up to midrange loads. For hotter stuff, in addition to what's already been mentioned I really like Longshot. I've also used AA#7 with good success as well.

Look into Longshot powder.

Boolit Master
    Alliant Unique is a little fast-burning to get optimal performance from the 10mm, except with the lighter bullet weights. It will propel 165 gr. - 200 gr. cast bullets as fast or faster than can be had from a .40 S&W, but still short of true 10mm auto performance.
    To get optimal performance from bullets in the weight rage just mentioned, your best bets are Alilant Blue Dot, AA#7, and probably VV N105. Alliant Power Pistol probably belongs in here, somewhere, too.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator Emeritus

Power Pistol, Silhuette or AA9. The Lee 175 is a close copy of the Lyman 40403. It is a decent shooter and you cannot beat the price. I don't think 200 gr is needed unless your bears are over 350 lb's on average.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Buying bullets is cheaper than buying ammo. If you are already reloading, its just a set of dies. MBW bullets are very good, go coated. I get better accuracy in my stock G20 with coated.
    Unique is not the best choice for 200gr running hard, but it will get you close to 1100fps. You need slower powders like BlueDot, Longshot, AA#& or #9.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Power Pistol, Silhuette or AA9. The Lee 175 is a close copy of the Lyman 40403. It is a decent shooter and you cannot beat the price. I don't think 200 gr is needed unless your bears are over 350 lb's on average.
    ^^THIS^^

Its hard ta beat the LEE 401-175 TC bullet. Yea I like 180/190/200 WFN too but for the $$ and time that darn Lee 175 TC is a DANDY!!! I have shot it past 1600 in my carbine and past 1400 in 6" bbls as well as 900 in my 40's darn thing shoots well.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Blue Dot / AA9 will give you full power loads. You will want to gas check those. Sadly, 40 caliber gas checks are not easy to come by so I make my own. My 10mm boolit is an Accurate 40-180 BG (with no lube grove) but check NOE - that 402 188 WFN is what I shoot in 40 S&W and it has a big MEPLAT - should hit pretty hard. Maybe with a non-gas check boolit just slow it down to 1150-1250 fps? Maybe use AA7 instead of AA9?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks folks, So it looks like general consensus is a 175-180 grain bullet at 1100 fps or so should be fine. That gives me something to work towards!

Cor-Bon, Underwood, and perhaps a few other companies produce some excellent Maximum power ammunition for the 10mm. It is expensive, but two boxes is all you would ever need for the woods.

Boolit Master
    There is data on the Alliant website which gives almost 1300 f/s with a jacketed 180 gr. bullet from a 5" barrel using Blue Dot. The same or better velocities would likely be possible with a similar weight cast or PCd projectile.
    Unless you are concentrating on recoil control, there is not much of a reason to limit velocities to 1000-1100 f/s with 170-180 gr. projectiles. Someone mentioned the use of the 10mm for bear defense. If this is the case, I WOULD want the 200 f/s velocity, with a hard-cast polymer coated TC shaped projectile.
    I DO agree that black bear are the smaller species and often fall to less gun than the larger bruins. The problem is, when agitated, smaller black bears tend to forget that they are smaller and easier to bring down.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    i use the lee 401-175 with IMR 800x a cheap mold and i shoot full power loads through my 2.0 and it shoots great!
    I like that mold too. It wont break the bank and I powder coat them for a smooth slide up the feed ramp. I have seen more than 1 semi auto pistol benefit from pc'ing to eliminate feed problems. I like Blue Dot as well but it is very hard to find in my area. Accurate #5 is pretty close to burn rate Unique and it works good in my sons Colt Delta Elite.Attachment 313898
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I shoot that powder coated with full AA9 loads, no gc needed. Glock model 40.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I shoot that powder coated with full AA9 loads, no gc needed. Glock model 40.

Yup, Properly applied Powder Coat, realistically eliminates the need of a Gas Check on most any handgun round fired in a hand gun.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Blue Dot / AA9 will give you full power loads. You will want to gas check those. Sadly, 40 caliber gas checks are not easy to come by so I make my own. My 10mm boolit is an Accurate 40-180 BG (with no lube grove) but check NOE - that 402 188 WFN is what I shoot in 40 S&W and it has a big MEPLAT - should hit pretty hard. Maybe with a non-gas check boolit just slow it down to 1150-1250 fps? Maybe use AA7 instead of AA9?
    With coated, no need for gas checks in handguns. Even with softer alloy, I dont get leading with coated @ 1200fps.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I like that mold too. It wont break the bank and I powder coat them for a smooth slide up the feed ramp. I have seen more than 1 semi auto pistol benefit from pc'ing to eliminate feed problems. I like Blue Dot as well but it is very hard to find in my area. Accurate #5 is pretty close to burn rate Unique and it works good in my sons Colt Delta Elite.Attachment 313898
    Actually AA#7 & BlueDot are close. AA#5 is quite a bit faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast