Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ruger Old Army!

Very purty!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy
    If the nipples aren't peened, and will fire a cap, I wouldn't worry about them too much. Outpost 75 is right; Kroil will eventually get them loose. If you have large hands, the Pachmayr's that fit Ruger Blackhawks will help more than factory grips. 43 grains of 3f, a .457 round ball and Ford Molly EP grease have taken several eastern Ky deer for myself and several friends. Local Bambi's run 120-140 pounds in a good year. As far as you can hit a coffee can, every time, offhand, is your operating range. ROA's are a great brush gun , especially in hilly country. If you can find a shoulder holster, it will make moving around easier.
    The only part I've seen fail is the cylinder latch spring. And that took 30 years of 4-5 pistol matches and hunting season yearly, without cleaning other than the barrel and cylinder. Take the gun apart every year or two and clean it carefully. This spring is the same as the one in a three screw Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Nice acquisition at a very nice price. I like the polymer ivory grips on the blue ROA. Mine is stainless with a set of aftermarket Eagle stag grips.

Attachment 313868

I use Lee's 220 conical for deer hunting.

Attachment 313869

Be advised that the heavier bullets require a taller front sight. Not an issue changing front sights on a Stainless ROA with a pinned front. The blue ones aren't pinned, IIRC
    whats involved in changing front sight on a blued one?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    you stole that one.
    I have a stainless one, the high polish version, the RB works great. I had the Lee 220gr mold and I tried the collar button too, I didn't have luck with either of them in comparison to the RB.
    Ditto and ditto. Bought a stainless one over 25 years ago, played with it for a while, but haven't had it out since before I retired in 2009. Round balls shot well, the Lee conical mold did not. Used nothing but Goex 2F black, never tried any of the substitutes,

I would not think the ROA would be a good deer gun with either bullet. RB too light, the Lee 220 too inconsistent for anything beyond brick-throwing distance.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    whats involved in changing front sight on a blued one?
    Gunsmithing! The sight isn't pinned and the ramp is soldered on. Which is above my pay grade.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Many years back I had one with a brass grip frame, S/N 357. One time at a black powder silhouette shoot I got it out and was playing with it after all the close range targets had been shot at. I ran out of 3F powder and a friend offered me some 2F. I was quite adamant that pistols used 3F but he said if you want to keep shooting try it. There were 4 chickens at 50 yards and I knocked them all down. The turkey was still standing at 175 yards ( no one was shooting at it) and I joked saying watch me hit the turkey. I held a couple feet high and hit it but didn't knock it down ( surprised me more than anyone ells). There was one bear still standing at 200 yards so here I go again, holding about 3 feet hover his head. It went down. My eyesight was much better back then.
    If you haven't tried 2F in your old army, give it a try.

By the way, I paid $115 for that pistol 46 years ago.

That was a bargain for sure. I had to get mine out (blued) just to hold it! Enjoy!
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Lee R.E.A.L bullets have a small diameter base band and each driving band gets larger as you go up. They load easy without a separate loading stand if you stick with soft lead, either plumber's lead or 1 to 40 tin- lead.if you want a better fill out. Very effective hunting load.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Bought mine in 1973 I believe. We loaded 40 grains 3f and lead roundball and plants them in 1 inch at 25 yards with regularity. Reminds me I need to get her out.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 of them, great pistols! You got a great deal on yours. Mine shoot very well with 200 grain semi wad cutters rolled between 2 cross cut files to knurl and expand them to fit the chambers. Minute of Jackrabbit at 70+ yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12