RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Pistol powders that cannot be compressed.

Boolit Master

Pistol powders that cannot be compressed.

Are there any pistols powders that should never be compressed in any cartridge?

As far as I know, none of the really high nitro powders have any compressed loads except in shotguns. Even in something like 25 acp.

Boolit Master
    I used to reload .357 Magnum cast loads with (then) Hercules Herco. It seemed to work a little better, when compressed.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Generally Ball powders do not compress well.

It is advised not compress Trail Boss.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Do the ball powders not compress well simply because spheres don’t pack in any tighter, or is it due to the burn performance?

Boolit Master
    I have avoided Compressed loads for my entire Experience (about 1978). There is always a Powder that compression is Not a Requirement...so.... That is how I go.

Boolit Grand Master

Blue Dot can show erratic pressures if compressed in handgun cartridges, particularly the magnums. That is erratic, not high or spiking pressures.

See pressure test data in; https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-Alliant-test
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Generally Ball powders do not compress well.
    I always thought that the powders that did compress were typically ball, or flattened ball. Such as H110... That's just one example, but it was the impression I had.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate Arms #9 in the .357 SIG is a compressed charge. This is a ball powder with nitro added. Being compressed also helps reduce set-back.

To add: this is a 90% ball powder, with the remaining being a flattened ball.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    I’ve done compressed charges of Enforcer in .357 Sig. The max charge is about 0.1” from the mouth of the case. I had to elongate my OAL because the powder pushed the bullet out a bit.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone ever seen AA#7 compressed? I’ve read about people compressing HS-6, but I haven’t seen the load data.
    I’ve loaded a few different cartridges with Silhouette that were very near compressed, but never quite there. That powder is used in almost no cartridge with a roll crimp. Makes me think Silhouette would go unpredictable if there was a >95% case fill.
    What about Long Shot?

Boolit Master
    I use AA#7 for 9mm and like it so much that I purchase in 8# jugs. It's used for high end loads. However, since I seat and crimp in separate stages, upper end powder charges will allow the bullet to gain in OAL>>>demonstrating too much compression. IIRC, that happens above 7.5 grains........depending on bullet design. BTW, I don't load anything heavier than 138 graines, sided and lubed.

Winelover

Compression can be a hinderance, or a great aid. Depends on application.

High recoiling rounds in a magazine rifle: helps avoid set back. Post number 9 alludes to same benefit in Auto Pistol.
    High compression in a revolver, neither fish nor foul. May allow higher performance depending on powder & cartridge. May get you reformed bullet noses on seating.

Have read that 4895 isn't recommended for compressed loads, then I find it specifically recommended in the 416 Taylor in the A Square manual. There are several 4895s however. Probably depends on application as well as powder specifications.

I wouldn't compress a a powder that I haven't cross referenced to other applications while wildcatting, but I have done so before and do will do again at those times when I have cross referenced a powder when I have no data in my intended use.

There is a comment in the thread about ball powders that have flattened ball in the mix.
    This is just burning rate control. The granules will also not all be of identical size. The flattening is done in the pliable stage of manufacture to increase the surface area of a larger size sphere. It is actually rare in my experience to find a canister spherical propellant that doesn't have some flattened granules.

The surplus WC820 I have is very uniform spheres, and this also contributes to terrific metering. Needs to be kept in mind though that bulk powders for military are made to hit a specification range, and then loads adjusted after the burning character is understood. The specification range to characterize the powder is broader than canister.
    Canister powders for reloaders are made to a tighter specification range so the already published data is "good" -- they adjust the powder to the data range already published.
    The adjustment for military lot loading can be large compared to canister for reloader powder lot changes. They deal with specification range being broader by characterizing each lot.

I know nothing about a warning against compression in general while using Ball/Spherical powders, but then none of us know everything.

Boolit Grand Master

trailboss!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Good question. It seems that many common loads in higher pressure cartridges wind up compressed. I have loaded as such for years. So we know it’s ok with many powders.
    But the only ones mentioned so far are blue dot and trail boss. I would surmise that titegroup would be one also but don’t know for sure.