Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye Wadcutter Loads

Bullseye Wadcutter Loads

Last night I loaded up some commercially cast 148gr DEWCs over 2.8gr of Bullseye. I understand that 2.7-2.8 is the "classic" swaged HB load, but I've read a few posts here today suggesting that 3.0 is better for the cast wadcutters.

Thoughts?

Sticking to Bullseye, what do some of you use for a favorite WC load?

Recently I've obtained a few different WC molds which I'll be using once I use up my stash of Magma cast DEWCs and Hornady swaged HBWCs.

I have an mp BNWC mold that is a copy of the H&G 50. I use 3.2 grains of bullseye. I have shot many thousands of these and HBWC’s and have tried all of the loads. It is just what my model 14 likes.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I load 3 grains of f bullseye for my wadcutters loads . Works great no problems experienced.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

2.7 grains of BE.

Ya need to try different ones, and see which load is best for you.
    That's why there is min. and Max. loads. One or the other might be best for you, or maybe something in between.

Just don't shoot your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    2.7 grains of BE.
    Yup...Works for Me!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Yup...Works for Me!!!
    Ditto.

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for 2.7!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

2.7 grains of Bullseye under an H&G 50. Good enough for my Daddy, good enough for me.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    Last night I loaded up some commercially cast 148gr DEWCs over 2.8gr of Bullseye. I understand that 2.7-2.8 is the "classic" swaged HB load, but I've read a few posts here today suggesting that 3.0 is better for the cast wadcutters.

Thoughts?

Sticking to Bullseye, what do some of you use for a favorite WC load?

Recently I've obtained a few different WC molds which I'll be using once I use up my stash of Magma cast DEWCs and Hornady swaged HBWCs.
    Not a "bean-counter", per se, but I can give an honest approximation of 148 grain H&G cast bullets sent down-range with my S&W Model 52 -- definitely MORE than ten thousand -- in my Bullseye shooting years ! For the beginning I reckoned a better load would make for better groups, so I tried using Clays, W231, and several other powders -- but steered back to 2.7 grains of Bullseye! I did hope to improve the edge with purchase of "better" (e.g., Redding) dies and powder measure (Harrell), but again, in all MY shooting -- 2.7 grains of Bullseye provided me the best chances for high scores!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Not a "bean-counter", per se, but I can give an honest approximation of 148 grain H&G cast bullets sent down-range with my S&W Model 52 -- definitely MORE than ten thousand -- in my Bullseye shooting years ! For the beginning I reckoned a better load would make for better groups, so I tried using Clays, W231, and several other powders -- but steered back to 2.7 grains of Bullseye! I did hope to improve the edge with purchase of "better" (e.g., Redding) dies and powder measure (Harrell), but again, in all MY shooting -- 2.7 grains of Bullseye provided me the best chances for high scores!
    geo
    Pretty much sums that up!!!!

Boolit Master
    The NRA in their Handloaders Guide had an article on what they tested and found to be the most accurate 38 Special wadcutter load. From their testing they held that the 148 grain wadcutter Cast (Not swaged) bullet was the most accurate with a charge of 2.7 grains of Bullseye.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

2.7/BE will give less recoil than the 3.0/BE load and therefore many folks can post higher scores. I would think that is about the only real difference between the two powder charges.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    The NRA in their Handloaders Guide had an article on what they tested and found to be the most accurate 38 Special wadcutter load. From their testing they held that the 148 grain wadcutter Cast (Not swaged) bullet was the most accurate with a charge of 2.7 grains of Bullseye.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    2.7/BE will give less recoil than the 3.0/BE load and therefore many folks can post higher scores. I would think that is about the only real difference between the two powder charges.
    I think the 2.7 and cast advice are the convergence of the benefits of low recoil, as you point out, and the fact that a slightly shorter bullet will stabilize better in the slowish 18.75" twist of the arguably more common S&W target revolver vs the 16" of a Colt. I suspect my use will not show much difference between anything in the 2.7 to 3.0 or even 3.5 range and cast vs swaged, but I suppose I'll be finding out this summer.

Boolit Master

38 Special, good to know

Boolit Master
    I agree with post #2. I bench a lot. In wheel guns with bullseye 3.2 with an H&G bnwc is my favorite and I go high as 3.7. In my autos I back off to 2.5--3.1. <Depends on which one>I have about 4000 loaded. A 38 special wad cutter load is the most accurate -cheapest - and easy to load you can shoot. They are accurate up to a little over 920fps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04511.jpg  
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 05-09-2023 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    What 45 Dude said plus it matters if it's a revolver or an auto, and then which auto and what seating depth. Some seat #50 wc flush which can bulge the shell if +p type beass is used.

There's a crimp groove for revolvers and 1911 autos...this gives lower pressures and velocity. Model 52 must be flush and because its a tighter bore (0.355), and an unsupported chamber, lower charges like 2.7 BE are needed. Good luck

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    2.7 gr. under a 148 gr. WC for me has always been a very accurate load for me out of my 38s.

I have a Uberti 1851 Colt Navy Richards & Mason Conversion with 7 1/2" barrel that I've tried a wide variety of cast grain weights and designs in and the 2.7 gr. BE/148 gr. WC load has proven to be the most accurate load out of it - seems like all you have to do is point it towards a can standing up, pull the trigger and the can starts dancing!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have found that with soft swaged HBWCs from Speer, Hornady, Precision Delta, Zero that accuracy suffers from skirt deformation above 3 grains of Bullseye. In S&Ws with 18-3/4" twist 50 yard grouping is improved at 2.8-3.0 grains. In Colts with 14" twist or custom PPC guns with faster twist barrels use 2.7 grains.

The Remington or Winchester factory HBWCs will give match accuracy 2-inch 50-yard groups up to 3.2 grains of Bullseye and can stand full charges up to 3.5 grains of Bullseye with better accuracy than +P service loads if fired in .38 Special chambers.

Solid cast DEWCs give best accuracy in slow S&W twist with 3.5 grains of Bullseye, full charge not to be exceeded. in Colts or fast-twist PPC guns load 3 grains.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    2.7 grains of Bullseye under an H&G 50. Good enough for my Daddy, good enough for me.
    Same for Me. I've shot thousands of Hornady & Zero swaged WC's thru My M14. And many more #358495. Used 2.8grs of Bullseye.

Dad cast many #358395HP's for Bullseye shooting, used 2.8grs Bullseye.
    If it works why change it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast