RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: For my .250 Savage

Boolit Buddy

For my .250 Savage

Thinking about getting NOE's 260-115-FN-AJ1 4 Cavity GC for the paper-punching and occasionally hunting cast bullet in .250 Savage (it's in stock and on sale as well).

Any reasons to consider something else instead? Thanks!
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

I'm loading a 100gn RCBS boolit in my 250/3000AI. Surpurbly accurate.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

My 250 savage doesn't like anything over 100g.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

My 257 Robert AI prefers 100 grain bullets from Nosler and using 4350 powder. I don't use Lead bullets through. Lead at lower velo may be fine in heavier bullets but twist is still important. I would try different weight bullets first, even jacketed ones, see how they do. My old 250 Savage always liked the 100 grainer better, again in Jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master

It depends on the twist of your 250 Savage. I'm not sure what the length is of the bullet you are referencing but that and your twist rate are the deciding factors.
    Good Luck to you,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    The barrel twist is 1 : 10". The OAL of the bullet is 0.877". Length that engages the bore looks like half an inch.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have a 1-10 twist, that should be good. My own Savage won't group a boolit longer than than ~.680. The only 100 grain bullet I can use is the sadly discontinued Hornady 100 grain RN. I get fair accuracy with my Lyman 258-464, an 89 grain Louverin style. Truth to tell, I have not done much with that rifle, other than develop a deer load for it with J-words. With 87 grain flat-based spitzers it is acceptably accurate--1/1/2" - 2". Heavier bullets quickly become hopeless.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My current projects involve a 257 and 25-06 . Same twist and nearly identical throat and leade the 06' just won't shoot 117&120s in jackets it does shoot the old Nosler Partition 100 well as well as the Sierra spitzer , Pro Hunter , and Game King . It or rather I want it to shoot the 260-120 FP NOE , it's right there just hanging on the cusp . It closed groups to about 2" and went flat the groups neither grow nor shrink so it's the next powder step ....... I know it will shoot better . It a 1972 700 BDL Varmint Master with a 1-9" 26" .890 at the muzzle barrel and ive seen it blow up qt milk cartons over and over at 3-400 yd and half gallons at 500 it has about 850 rounds total with 100 held to about 3100.
    The Roberts, built on a 93/95 Mauser mess with a 24" A&B barrel and a 1-9" twist just shoots everything into about an inch including the 260-120 NOE .

A 1-10" twist should shoot almost everything 100 gr and under keeping in mind that it's about length not weight .

Depending on what your 250 is and when it was built , it was designed around and 87 gr bullet driven 3000 fps , that held on long enough that it almost killed the cartridge. Something like the 257312 90 gr fp might be as good as it gets .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .