Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .348 brass to 45-75 win

.348 brass to 45-75 win

I've been converting .348 win brass to 45-75 win brass for a lot of years. Needing a few more cases I broke out the gear and went to work. Because I have the dies my process is cut off most of the neck of the 348 case with a dremel and debur. Run through 38-55 expander. Run through 40-65 expander. Run through 45-70 expander. Trim, lube, size, fire form. Casse loss occurs with the 45-70 expander. I have on my bench, which I did not have the last time I went through the process, is a lee universal case mouth expander (middle die in pic). Using this before the 45-70 expander resulted in 0 case loss.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230506-194414-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	313789

Name:	20230506-194552-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	313790

Name:	20230506-194929-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	313791
    Last edited by Kai; 05-07-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Good information, thanks for sharing.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Why do people destroy perfectly good 348 Win brass? It is hard enough to find 348 Win brass without someone chopping it up to make something else. Make something out of .223 , 308, 30/06 brass that is very common.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Why do people destroy perfectly good 348 Win brass? It is hard enough to find 348 Win brass without someone chopping it up to make something else. Make something out of .223 , 308, 30/06 brass that is very common.
    Will 24 or 32 gauge brass shot gun shells work to make that case?
    Ballistic advantage:
    32 ga Magtech Brass Shotshell hulls are ideal for traditional black powder loads. Mix 10 boxes of any guage to receive case pricing.

Graf and sons
    24 ga Uses Large Pistol Primers. New, unprimed shotshell brass cases. Accepts large pistol primers. This is not loaded ammunition.

Boolit Master

You use .348 because you can't make 45-75 out of 30-06 and going further, Starline does make .348 brass abet sporadically.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I shoot a wincherster 71 and have more 348 brass than I'll ever use that I bought when things didn't cost so much. It's 348 or 50-90 brass to make 45-75 and I don't have 50-90.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Will 24 or 32 gauge brass shot gun shells work to make that case?
    Ballistic advantage:
    32 ga Magtech Brass Shotshell hulls are ideal for traditional black powder loads. Mix 10 boxes of any guage to receive case pricing.

Graf and sons
    24 ga Uses Large Pistol Primers. New, unprimed shotshell brass cases. Accepts large pistol primers. This is not loaded ammunition.
    Nope, at least not without more finagling. Even if it did I don't have any of either.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Because it is the case to work with. I have the same issue: using the 5.6x50R to make 6.5 TCU(r) for my Martini. Is the ONLY game in town, and is harder to source than 348 Winchester.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Nope, at least not without more finagling. Even if it did I don't have any of either.
    I mention because they are for sale at this moment. but if you are well supplied there is no reason to do it harder way.

Boolit Master

Because 45-75 brass is so much more scarce than 348 Win Brass
    Being human is not for sissies.

I don't find that 348 Win is difficult at all to source..... If you're actively looking for it, as I do, you'll find it at around $1.00 to $1.50 per new case, pretty much all day long every day. It isn't cheap.....but honestly seems somewhat plentiful these days.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I mention because they are for sale at this moment. but if you are well supplied there is no reason to do it harder way.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Because there has only been one production rifle ever chambered for it, the Model 71 Winchester (two if you count Browning's reproduction of the Model 71).

I'll venture to say that more .348 Winchester brass is being utilized as a parent case than is actually being fired in a for real .348 Winchester chamber. It does serve wonderfully as a parent case for many BP and a few smokeless rounds.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Because there has only been one production rifle ever chambered for it, the Model 71 Winchester (two if you count Browning's reproduction of the Model 71).

I'll venture to say that more .348 Winchester brass is being utilized as a parent case than is actually being fired in a for real .348 Winchester chamber. It does serve wonderfully as a parent case for many BP and a few smokeless rounds.

Robert
    I actually wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is why production has continued into today. I certainly shoot more 348 Win cases in BP single shots than I do in my Model 71!

And Kai....very nice conversion and well described/illustrated! It's one I've not done yet......but has peaked my interest!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I made some about 30 years ago, similar process. I annealed the case neck/shoulder area at some point in the expanding process. I took it one step further and faced off the headstamp, recut the depth on the primer pocket and made some holders to use with Pryor steel type to make caliber correct head stamp. Photo shows a Jamison case on the left, my homemade on the right.

Name:	P1020339.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	313835

Boolit Master
    Sure makes me wish Jamison was still in business.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    I made some about 30 years ago, similar process. I annealed the case neck/shoulder area at some point in the expanding process. I took it one step further and faced off the headstamp, recut the depth on the primer pocket and made some holders to use with Pryor steel type to make caliber correct head stamp. Photo shows a Jamison case on the left, my homemade on the right.

Name:	P1020339.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	313835
    Now that's down right fancy!! Nicely done.

Look what just came in the mail. Speaking of availability of 348 brass, I had posted reforming 348 brass on a facebook site and received a message from a member that he had some 348 brass if I was interested. 120 cases at .75 apiece. Right place at the right time I spose.

Name:	20230508-110300-1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	313846

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Sure makes me wish Jamison was still in business.
    You need 45-75 brass? If so pm me.

Boolit Buddy

Kai: Nice description on making 45-75 Win out of 348. I use 348 Win brass to make 11mm Vickers, 11mm Grau, and 50-90 Win for my 1876 Winchester. I have plenty of 348 Win brass because I have shot my 71 Winchesters alot when ammo was plentiful. If I anneal the necks the sizing up goes easier. My mistake 348's go for making 11mm Swiss Vetterli that is a short case. Kai; you might buy an 11mm Swiss Vetterli to use up your split 348 Win cases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast