Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm oversized bullets??

Boolit Master

9mm oversized bullets??

Who here size there bullets to .357 or .358 dia. or more and why.
    Most commercial cast bullet makers only size .356 dia. I've never
    sized any 9mm bullets to .356 am I'm I missing something here?
    I never get any leading with over sized bullets. If they chamber, I
    shoot them.

I do that also , my lee mold drops at .357 and 124gr after I cut the bevel base lip out of the mold . I just use my .358 die to lube . My shoot fine or better than I can . I was getting some leading and cutting the bevel base lip out pretty much fixed that .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    how did you cut the bevel base out? What are the pros and cons?

Casting 101, slug your barrel first thing, always.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I size my 9mm boolits to .358 because they fit my guns and my sizer is almost always setup with the .358 die in it.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Vendor Sponsor

Yes, slug first.

Then If using cast boolit, you have to go .001 to .002 over bore, to ensure the lead seats in the grooves on bore.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Doesn’t matter what your barrel slugs to. You always want to size the bullet to fit the throat of the gun. Rifle or handgun.
    For me, in 9mm, that is .358”
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

First thing, slug your barrel. This tells you what your minimum sizing requirements are. This does NOT tell you how large you can size to.
    The chamber will tell you what you can actually shoot.
    I have several 9mm handguns that measure anywhere from .355 to .358(Beretta 92).
    I have some 9mm handguns that will only chamber with boolits sized to .357 or smaller. These have very tight match chambers. Any case bulging at the base of the boolit will cause a failure to feed. Here is where the Lee Factory crimp die comes in handy.
    My Beretta 92 barrels have sloppy, large chambers. They will accept boolits sized to .359 with cases that are bulged significantly. I think they might even feed gravel is asked to.
    Basically, if it will chamber it should shoot fine. I am more concerned with chamber sizes than bore sizes.
    I normally size to .357 just to make everything feed well in all my handguns.
    I have not seen any significant accuracy differences between the different sized boolits.
    Use a good lube and your leading issues should vanish.
    The boolits are being hit hard enough by chamber pressure that they should expand enough to fill the bore unless you are using extremely hard alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

shoot them.
    Me too. If the round fits the throat, it is used. I have 5, 9mm pistols and most run .355"-.356" groove diameter (one is about .358"). Just to keep things simple I size my cast bullets to .357"+ (I use some of my cast 9mm bullets for my .38 Specials too). But my Masada with poly rifling seems to like .358"...

Slugging not only tells you the diameters of your barrel, but also the condition of the barrel ID. Variations in ID, rough spots, bulges, etc. noticeable too. My first 9mm was a Norenco Tokerev clone in 9mm with the chamber end roughly .356"+ and the muzzle end .358"+...
    Last edited by mdi; 05-07-2023 at 01:44 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot a lot of my own cast 9mm bullets sized .356 in numerous hand and sub guns since '70 when I had a very nice P35 and a S&W M39 until I found out on the internet that was all wrong. Internat guru's said I needed to size to .357 or .358 so I did. Didn't make any difference so I size at .356 and still don't have any problems. Currently using the Lee 356-120-TC cast usually of a 95/2/5/2.5 alloy +/- and lubed with NRA 50/50 lube. I loaded them over 4 gr of Bullseye.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I had leading in my barrel when mine were sized 0.356”. I now size to 0.358” and the barrel is very clean after each shooting session.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    When I began experimenting with cast bullets in the 9mm about thirty-five years ago, I used my own bullets sized to .356". I didn't keep much in the way of notes then, but from what I remember, I got good accuracy and some leading. All the bullets were pushed hard because much of the data I used was based on jacketed data. There wasn't as much cast data available then as now. Maybe the bullets obturated some and perhaps this would explain the good accuracy, though I don't know this for sure. I used fairly hard bullets, about 16 BHN.

My early work was with a Beretta, a Walther P4, and a Sig P226. I tried about a dozen bullet designs and many powders. I eventually began using a softer alloy (ww) and szing bullets in a .358" die. The best bullet design I've found has been the obsolete Lyman .38 Special mould #358212. It casts a 150 grain roundnose bullet. I use Bullseye powder. This load is accurate and doesn't lead. I'm far from a guru and not an expert on anything, but I won't be going back to .356" bullets.

Boolit Master

Of the six 9mm barrels that I've slugged, five of them were .356" and one was .355", so it seems .357" is the no-brainer option - - which fortunately is what my tumble lube mold drops at.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I slug the barrel to see what it will tell me to use. Some is at .356 and some up to .358 because the barrel is worn some that I bought it used. By the way I found that when expanding and seating the ones that are .358 I use the dies for the 38/357 mag. I have them already so it is works for me, I seen for that size that when I use the 9mm dies to expand and seat they will be not the size I size them to. But when I use the other dies they chamber and cycle without any problems. also the gun shoots better with the size I use.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    One of the guns I shoot a lot slugs at .357", so I size to .359" for it. I have other 9 mm's that size smaller some will feed the .359"and some won't. I don't know why manufactures can't agree on one bore size for 9 mm.

Boolit Master

Just my experiences and trials with 9mm. I have to amend some of my earlier posts about my 9mm sizing after shooting a couple of thousand cast rounds in DIFFERENT makes of pistols.

I started out with a Beretta 92FS 9mm. It slugged at .357" and would feed boolits sized to .358". The chamber and throat was large enough, that this pistol accepted larger sizing/rounds. Simple to load for and all was well....until I bought 9mm pistols made by Sig, Glock, and CZ. (The Beretta has been sold, so I don't have need for .358" boolits.)

In order to make my cast 9mm loads fit all these different pistols, I wanted one "standard" sizing diameter,...a round that worked in all makes/brands that I onwned.

I have case expanders/plugs from NEI to load .356" and .357" sized boolits, so the cast slug is not sized/sqeezed down when seated in the case....a problem I had with previous reloads.

I am going to agree with Larry Gibson about 9mm bullet sizing, as I now size to.356" for all my 9mm pistols.

I shot many rounds sized to .357" successfully, but when various pistols became fouled, dirty, hot and fired rapidly, sometimes a round would fail to slightly to go into battery. A tap on the back of the slide would make the pistol work. ( I was testing my loads by firing 200 rounds through each Sig M17, Sig 365XL, Glock 19x, Glock 48 and CZ75B I have...not extensive testing, just for function and reliabilty.) Taper crimp and mic'd so no bevel/flare left on case.

Also, boolits sized to .357" had to be seated deeper in order to chamber in shorter throats.

I then sized all rounds to .356", same testing, and no hiccups, no failures to go into battery, no malfunctions. No leading, and accuracy in these brands of pistols is the same as far as my shooting ability. I can seat the .356" boolits out to a longer over all length without hitting the throat/leade.

The Beretta 92F is a great pistol.....it was just an entirely different "animal" for me when loading 9mm cast, compared to other makes and brands.

.356" sizing succeeds best in reliability, function and accuracy in my various pistols after many rounds in each handgun,....my results only, others may not agree!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Thank you sir for the reply.... I'm going to size some to .356 and see what happens.
    I have various different 9mm's and have always used .358 with no problems, but
    will try the .356.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Who here size there bullets to .357 or .358 dia. or more and why.
    Most commercial cast bullet makers only size .356 dia. I've never
    sized any 9mm bullets to .356 am I'm I missing something here?
    shoot them.
    for a 9mm revolver....as long as my cyl throat is .356.. I don't size over that.. if throat is under 356.. it needs opened to 356 or 3565

Boolit Master
    My handloads using .3575" bullets (actual diameter after sizing/lubing with a SAECO .358" die) would not chamber in a Glock or H&K (only tried one of each pistol and that was some time ago). They function perfectly in a P4, P38, Beretta and Sig. I seat to maximum magazine length; that may be why they won't chamber in some guns. Ammo dimensions are within SAAMI specs. Use what works best for your gun.

Boolit Master
    My barrels are pretty consistent at 0.355". I always sized to .356, and it worked ok. But I always got a little leading in the first inch or two of the barrel. I attributed this to the boolit "skidding" into the rifling due to the softer alloy I used. The .356" was just big enough to work, but small enough and soft enough to easily spin out a little in the first inch. I upped my boolit to .357", my theory being that the extra force of the boolit sizing down a little more would make up for the rifling cutting into the alloy so easily. Sure enough it fixed my problem. Even though my barrels slug to .355, boolits of .357 to .358 are what it prefers in a 50/50+2% alloy. Pistols mainly like the .357, rifles tend to like the .358. At least that is my experience.

While my anecdotes are not really scientific, they are my experience through trial and error over the last 20+ years of shooting cast.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast