Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Dillon large bar

Boolit Master

Dillon large bar

I have the Dillon automatic charging system that I've used for years with the charging bar that came with it. It definitely worked excellently atop my Rock Chucker for many pistol reloads. However it is too small for the .308s I'm attempting to reload. I've seen reference to a magnum and large charging and don't seem to find either on their website. I've found the large bar at reloading sites, however which bar is actually correct for rifle reloading? Thanks in advance, Bill.,

Boolit Grand Master

Per the Dillon description, the magnum bar is for 50-70 grains of extruded powders:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/21353

I only see the extra small and magnum bars for sale individually on the site. I assume they consider the large and small bars that come standard with the presses as repair parts. If you want more powder than you can get from the small bar but less than ~50 grains of extruded, you want the large bar.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Thanks, I found the large bar in my array parts bin, after searching quite a few more sites, I found this,

Charge of less than 3.0 gr - extra small charge bar.

Charge between 3.0 gr and 20 gr - small charge bar.

Charge between 20 and 50 gr - large charge bar.

Charge larger than 50 gr - extra large (magnum) charge bar

Supposedly this is a responce from the Dillon techs.

Boolit Buddy
    Dillon has it. I think it’s 20063 but call the tech line and check. It shows it’s $45 just for the bar now.

Good thing you found yours. The measures usually come with small and large. It’s the extra small and magnum that are extra.

Boolit Buddy
    It can be helpful to grab the RL550 users manual from their site. A bit back I copied this chart out of it and saved it as a jpg file:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dillon-RL550_PowderBars.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	313784

45_Colt

Boolit Master

45 colt, thanks, that is an interesting chart. If the ranges are correct, the large bar should cover my needs. According to quick loads the .308 doesn’t reach
    50 gr. on most all data I’m trying to work with. Funny thing most referenced powder is Vargetwhich happens to be the only one I do not have and it doesn’t reach 40 gr.

Boolit Buddy
    You're welcome for the info. Varget does seem to be a popular powder for .308. Here is a list of powders I've put together, for when I find one available at a reasonable cost:

.308 WIn
    H 4895
    IMR 4895
    AA 2495
    IMR 4064

These are for a semi, so burn rate needs to be taken into account.

45_Colt

Boolit Master

Thanks, Varget supposedly one of the well chosen powder. I was given food for thought from a fellow gun nut at the shop. Because of the M1A, socom 16 shorter barrel faster burning powders should a consideration. I happened to find Steves page 8 and made copies of his .308 of the projectiles in my range to see what other powders would have the best burn rates. One of the best pieces of info is all the powder’s all in the big bar grain limits.