Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a smelter

Recommendations for a smelter

Hi everybody,

I am a noob checking in, just joined so be gentle.

I haven't cast any bullets for going on 30 years. I used to cast a LOT and have half a ton of linotype stashed but not much clip on wheel weights although I have a buddy who has a plethoria.

I used to use a plumbers pot that screwed directly onto a 20# propane bottle, but now with the OPD valve requirements can't get it filled.

Since I have multiple 60#s cast iron pots, skimming ladles, 10# pouring pots, and a commercial cast iron ingot mold I am pretty much set to get back into business.

Thinking that the easiest solution is to just buy a new high pressure propane burner.
    https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-B-5200...c-891e95133f20

I found cleaning and fluxing the metal in a big burner so clean ingots went into the bullet mix was very time efficient and kept the casting furnace clean.

Boolit Buddy

I happened to have a turkey fryer and a King Cooker fish fryer burners to use with a cast iron Dutch oven when I restarted casting. A sturdy base is a good idea.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a turkey fryer and a pot (made from a cut off 20# propane tank). The fryer doesn't have the highest btu output, but it keeps the temps from melting any zinc wheel weights that find their way into the pot. As far as ingot molds, I use cast iron muffin pans. I stumbled upon a closeout sale on Lodge CI muffin pans on Amazon for $6 each and bought them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Man View Post
    Hi everybody,

I am a noob checking in, just joined so be gentle.

I haven't cast any bullets for going on 30 years. I used to cast a LOT and have half a ton of linotype stashed but not much clip on wheel weights although I have a buddy who has a plethoria.

I used to use a plumbers pot that screwed directly onto a 20# propane bottle, but now with the OPD valve requirements can't get it filled.

Since I have multiple 60#s cast iron pots, skimming ladles, 10# pouring pots, and a commercial cast iron ingot mold I am pretty much set to get back into business.

Thinking that the easiest solution is to just buy a new high pressure propane burner.
    https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-B-5200...c-891e95133f20

I found cleaning and fluxing the metal in a big burner so clean ingots went into the bullet mix was very time efficient and kept the casting furnace clean.
    I can't tell what the BTU output is on the burner you show, but I got mine from here (52K BTU):

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...554BPSQ16.html

I did the propane cut-off for a pot. With a ton of redundancy built in as to purging and safe-cutting.

For what it's worth, I built a 20 gallon brewing system out of heavy gauge 2 x 2 mild steel, with high pressure burners I got from Bayou Classic, and the high pressure regulators to drive them on a manifold (because there are 3 vessels in brewing). https://www.bayouclassic.com/product...f2d22795&_ss=r. You obviously don't need that strong a frame, but it was a quick mig-weld and done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ugly Betty II in driveway CU.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	313785
    -Paul

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    I use a turkey fryer and a pot (made from a cut off 20# propane tank). The fryer doesn't have the highest btu output, but it keeps the temps from melting any zinc wheel weights that find their way into the pot. As far as ingot molds, I use cast iron muffin pans. I stumbled upon a closeout sale on Lodge CI muffin pans on Amazon for $6 each and bought them all.
    Basically the same here. I also have a Bayou burner. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I agree with a turkey fryer and a pot made from a cut 20 gal propane tank. Be aware that a 20 gal propane tank cut at the seam will hold 150 lbs of lead (not that you might want to melt that much at a time). Bottom line, you are liable to put a lot more weight on your turkey fryer stand than it was designed for. Be safe and beef up your stand to hold more weight.

I have 6 non-stick muffin pans from W-mart that have made tons of ingots over the years.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use an old three ring cast iron burner with a Dutch oven. I have fooled around with the normal sized regulator to get more heat out of it. If you plan to use something bigger, like half of a propane bottle, consider a high volume regulator.

[QUOTE=Apple Man;5573562]
    I used to use a plumbers pot that screwed directly onto a 20# propane bottle, but now with the OPD valve requirements can't get it filled. QUOTE]

Ya have to dig around to fine them, but there are adapter fittings out there to go on the new bottles over to the old school fittings.
    Or, a propane dealer might can fill it. Not the 'swap out' places, but a dealer with a tank farm out back.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

You could probably still get free propane tanks from small places that fill them. They used to charge like $5 to disposeof those tanks that were out of date. I heard folks would get those tanks for free then exchange them at those swap cages. Heard about keeping one to cutup as a pot and another as a new tank. That's what I heard

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Cut a 20# tank.
    Now it'll hold plenty of lead for the big boolits. These ingots sre 10 pounders.

Last edited by MOA; 05-14-2023 at 01:30 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

If you go the cut off propane tank.
    1) make sure its completely flushed out and clean before cutting.
    2) leave enough for a ring to go around the base for a bigger stabler foot print
    3) reinforce the stand for the extra weight
    4) use a big enough burner. I use a weed burner

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I just filled it with water and cut it with a battery operated grinder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I also use the propane tank and high output Bayou Classic approach, good for processing a lot of metal quickly (240# per full pot).

In retrospect the high output burner was overkill. I cut way back on propane use and melt time by putting a thermal jacket around the pot, using an effective wind screen for the burner, keeping a lid on the pot and, if I really wanted things done faster, using a weed burner directly on the lead to accelerate heating.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll have to get some pics of the old school equipment I have. The castng ladles with built in skimmers are pretty nice. We made a handle for the 10# casting pot that has a double dove tail slot for pouring into molds. The ingot mold is super heavy duty cast iron that soaks a lot of heat quick to freeze up nine 3# ingots at a crack.

Many years back we bought out a linotype shop and purchase about 2 tons of metal. An old linotype man (hard to find them nowadays) told me if the metal was being used, it will be excellent and true in composition as they assayed it regularly and a master alloy would be added to bring it back to exactly spec.

Boolit Master

"I used to use a plumbers pot that screwed directly onto a 20# propane bottle, but now with the OPD valve requirements can't get it filled. "

Aren't there exceptions for tanks used for welding? I think I heard that there used to be, but perhaps they expired. If anyone knows, please advise.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Looking a little further than just getting your equipment set-up, consider the type/shape of the ingots you intend to make and how you will feed whichever furnace with them...don't forget efficient identification & stacking of your ingots...

For example...I prefer an ingot for the furnace that will allow me to load a full 16 to 18 pounds of lead in the initial setup for my LEE 20 pound furnace...I don't want to feed that furnace as I wait to use it. Just load it, let it melt down and do the stir & skim, seal the top of the melt with wax and then get to casting...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Good point, I stamp ingnots with lettering stamps.

So that is a hot plate preheating to what temp?

Around 350ºƒ / 400ºƒ will get keepers generally in the first cast...the first cast will have it up to temp. immediately.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Turkey fryer & good size Dutch oven works great. A welding buddy if mine made me one out of a 10" pipe with a bottom pour. It works great.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Around 350ºƒ / 400ºƒ will get keepers generally in the first cast...the first cast will have it up to temp. immediately.

Get those Li-Ion batteries FAR away from heat. If one of those gets too hot, it will go into thermal runaway and you’ll lose your house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast