Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie needs advice from the Wise

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Thanks Landowner. Sometimes I think my opinions and advice may not make a big difference, but I like to give it anyway and let others decide if it’s needed.

Boolit Master

not much to add but . . .

I would be leery of using your kitchen oven to powder coat. PCing gives off fumes and the inside of my wally world is $19--new toaster oven is covered in fine residue.

My PCing gear is a #5 plastic bowl with lid, said toaster oven, Lee push through that's about it. made some wire trays out of hardware cloth and bought an oven thermometer that hands off the wire shelf. Don't trust the dial on them.

I enjoy PCing almost as a second hobby.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    You don't have to spend a lot of money to get into casting. A double cavity lee mold and Lee alox. I wouldn't even size them. If its something that you find enjoyable then you can slowly spend money on equipment upgrades, also you'll have a better feel for where you want to go with equipment.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Thanks Landowner. Sometimes I think my opinions and advice may not make a big difference, but I like to give it anyway and let others decide if it’s needed.
    Let me be the first to tell you that your reply and knowledge is very much appreciated by me. Please continue to share your knowledge with others and never think that it doesn't matter or isn't needed.

Boolit Bub

I know I have said a couple of times in this thread, but please know that I appreciate all the knowledge and tips you guys are sharing with me. This forum absolutely has the BEST members of any forum on the internet.

Doc, since you live in Maine, do they allow handgun hunting for moose? Get to work on a pet cast load for your 45 and show us a moose trophy!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    When I started casting I was using a Lee 4# pot an Lyman ladle and 2 or 3 different 2 cavity Lyman molds. It was slow and tedious but I was able to keeps shooting.
    My brother and I split the cost on a RCBS lube sizer. My brother quit casting but I still have all that old equipment and it still works. I got that stuff in the mid 1970's

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Doc, since you live in Maine, do they allow handgun hunting for moose? Get to work on a pet cast load for your 45 and show us a moose trophy!
    Yes sir, we absolutely can hunt moose with a handgun here. I just have to be lucky enough to win a chance to do so in the lottery.

Boolit Master

Combatmedic63 - 1st - thanks for your service 2nd - I have received stuff on the "pay it forward" plan on this site once or twice, so I owe somebody something. So your it. Let me know what you need. I probably have it around. I do not do a lot of sizing. But I may have standard size dies you need. You never said what you plan to shoot caliber wise, or I missed it. I shoot BPCS when I can and the casting is slow and tedious. But I am sure my bullits are round when they drop. Not so sure with 6 cavs going fast for 38's or 9mm's. This may be a factor in your set up and choices. I know I have a few dippers, and Lyman/RCBS spare mold handles. My favortie casting bench is a top from an old electric stove from the side of the road. I wired it for 110 and built a crude suitcase for it. I can run 4 burners at once if I want. Its handy for preheating. PM me with addy and "want" list. welcome aboard

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    Combatmedic63 - 1st - thanks for your service 2nd - I have received stuff on the "pay it forward" plan on this site once or twice, so I owe somebody something. So your it. Let me know what you need. I probably have it around. I do not do a lot of sizing. But I may have standard size dies you need. You never said what you plan to shoot caliber wise, or I missed it. I shoot BPCS when I can and the casting is slow and tedious. But I am sure my bullits are round when they drop. Not so sure with 6 cavs going fast for 38's or 9mm's. This may be a factor in your set up and choices. I know I have a few dippers, and Lyman/RCBS spare mold handles. My favortie casting bench is a top from an old electric stove from the side of the road. I wired it for 110 and built a crude suitcase for it. I can run 4 burners at once if I want. Its handy for preheating. PM me with addy and "want" list. welcome aboard
    Sorry for the delayed response, I had a shoulder replacement recently and had complications after the surgery. First off, let me thank you from the bottom of my heart for your appreciation of my service in the military, but it was my honor and also my duty to this country, I also thank you for your generous offer to help me out with needed items to start casting. A PM is on the way.

Boolit Grand Master

Doc, just one piece of advice not so far offered. Start with the 45, not because of size but because both the 9mm and 41 Mag are high pressure cartridges, which adds some complications. The 45 is a low pressure cartridge, or to put it another way it has lots of expansion room. This makes it somewhat less challenging to shoot cast. Once you have mastered your 45 then learn the other cartridges. Besides, there's not much you want to do with a pistol that the 45 can't!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Combatmedic63 View Post
    I want to start out with 9mm, .41 Mag, and .45 colt
    CM63,

My own path has lead me to shift toward tumble-lube bullet designs wherever they can work. In my case, that's done in order to save time, but it can save you (at least initially) the need to invest in stick lube, a lube sizer, and sizing dies for those calibers. As the velocities creep up above 1500 fps or so, you'll need to start considering gas checks, at which point the sizers become essential, but for handguns, a TL bullet that drops a sufficiently large diameter (.001" to .002" over groove diameter) will suffice in the autos. For revolvers, the same concept works, but it's USUALLY better to match the bullet to what will slip-fit through the cylinder throats.

I'm using White Label Lube's 45/45/10 to swirl them in.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Doc, just one piece of advice not so far offered. Start with the 45, not because of size but because both the 9mm and 41 Mag are high pressure cartridges, which adds some complications. The 45 is a low pressure cartridge, or to put it another way it has lots of expansion room. This makes it somewhat less challenging to shoot cast. Once you have mastered your 45 then learn the other cartridges. Besides, there's not much you want to do with a pistol that the 45 can't!
    Wayne,
    Thank you for the good advice. I am definitely starting with my .45 caliber molds and will work my way up to more difficult calibers.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    CM63,

My own path has lead me to shift toward tumble-lube bullet designs wherever they can work. In my case, that's done in order to save time, but it can save you (at least initially) the need to invest in stick lube, a lube sizer, and sizing dies for those calibers. As the velocities creep up above 1500 fps or so, you'll need to start considering gas checks, at which point the sizers become essential, but for handguns, a TL bullet that drops a sufficiently large diameter (.001" to .002" over groove diameter) will suffice in the autos. For revolvers, the same concept works, but it's USUALLY better to match the bullet to what will slip-fit through the cylinder throats.

I'm using White Label Lube's 45/45/10 to swirl them in.
    I'm experimenting with powder coating right now, but I do want to try the 45/45/10 lube. I found a recipe for it that I would like to try and make. Thanks for the advice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123