Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Locust tree stock?

Boolit Master

If you go laminated, you could make a blank that has a hollow buttstock and save some weight.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    For you guys wanting to drive nails or fencing staples into old well seasoned locust or hedge, my 84 year old boss showed me the trick when I was 12. Dip the end in grease. Oil may work too, never tried it.

He let me bend a few 20 penny nails trying to nail some 1x6's of well seasoned native lumber to a hedge corner post before he said dip it in some grease. The rest of the nails went in like I was driving them in butter.

He also taught me to measure the depth of a hole before dropping a corner post in. Not a lot of fun pulling a 9 foot corner post out by myself because the hole was a foot too deep.

Robert
    Old carpenter trick was to carry a cake of beeswax, and to use it on nails in hard wood, and on all wood screws.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I am anxiously waiting on a picture of handgun or rifle stocks. I have a couple of candidates for some work in the future. james

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    we had a couple honey locust trees (puncture trees) --compared to inland aussie timber the wood was quite light and soft - rots easy underground too -must be a different critter?
    Must be. We have Honey Locust and Black Locust and both are hard as anything I have cut except Boadarc and fence posts made from Black usually lasts at leas t 40 years and many last longer. Maybe the few Honeys I cut were an exception.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 05-09-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    We've all burned it locust. Nobody mentioned that it burns hot enough to cause your grates to bend and sag. I was told many years ago not to burn just locust, to mix it wood that doesn't burn so hot. I'm trying to think of this other wood that burns really hot, in face with a blue flame. Red something, Red Bud, Rose Bud???? Come on guys help me out.
    Bodarc or Hedge Apple as some folks call it, grows green balls about the size of softballs , wood is very yellow, hard as a preachers $*#*- , split green . Burned by it's self it can burn a stove out. I use it but start the fire with a few pieces of cedar , then add a piece with other wood .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1fc753bee9b87948e44c94587345b34e.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	313860

This isn't Locust but it's one of Hedge/Bodarc that I recently completed.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I am anxiously waiting on a picture of handgun or rifle stocks. I have a couple of candidates for some work in the future. james
    If it’s just a couple of screws, you can stick them in your ears to harvest some wax. An old timer told me that and I can attest that it works..

Boolit Master
    That stock looks pretty cool.
    Have you tried staining that wood with Iron Nitrate to see if the grain will pop out ?

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    That stock looks pretty cool.
    Have you tried staining that wood with Iron Nitrate to see if the grain will pop out ?
    No, I think I'm going to leave it. I have read about a product to use on the reciever that mimics color case hardening that I may try. Been busy with spring yard projects of late. My wife likes flowers and I like it when she's happy so no gunsmithing projects the last few days.

I scrape wood screws across a bar of soap for the same affect.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Old carpenter trick was to carry a cake of beeswax, and to use it on nails in hard wood, and on all wood screws.
    a cake of soap works good too.

I have a plethora of locust(starfish type thorns- some 6”in length), Bois D’arc, Mesquite, and my favorite- Hackberry trees.
    Cutting down a live Locust is fine if you like bloody poison pokes.
    Cutting up a dead one is fine if you just like regular bloody pokes.
    I just girdle them, they die, and a year or so later push them down or cut them up to burn in brush piles.
    I’ll fight them like my granddad and dad did before me but there will still be Locust trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123