RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncle Bubba can tighten that thing up!

I wondered about the cartridge port. It’s most definitely hogged out.
    I bought an 06 from a widow for $40 when I was a teen. It was the little carbine with Gumwood stocks, not walnut.
    It featured not one dirt dauber ring but two and would shoot all over the place except where the sights were aimed…….
    Once I told my brother “watch this!” and I looked at him, closed my eyes, pointed the little gun pondward……and hit a turtle!
    Time must have been up for that turtle
    I will leave the restoration of this one to others after I make it at least useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I never get tired of looking at good gunsmithing.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I wondered about the cartridge port. It’s most definitely hogged out.
    I bought an 06 from a widow for $40 when I was a teen. It was the little carbine with Gumwood stocks, not walnut.
    It featured not one dirt dauber ring but two and would shoot all over the place except where the sights were aimed…….
    Once I told my brother “watch this!” and I looked at him, closed my eyes, pointed the little gun pondward……and hit a turtle!
    Time must have been up for that turtle
    I will leave the restoration of this one to others after I make it at least useful.

I dont think I would try to torch that brass off - takes full red heat to do that - once already would be enough I reckon - turn it down neat in the lathe maybe?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The mag tube is cut for a speed loader. This was common for gallery guns so they could be loaded fast. I don't think I have seen an 06 marked on the side with Winchester but the model 62 and 61 used the Winchester marking on the side of the receiver on some , usually with some red in the letters. Also some of the gallery guns had a way to attach a chain to the barrel, a small metal band around the barrel.
    My brother has a model 61 - we thought that gun was kinda special - hold the trigger down and the last mm of the action stroke she fired - put 21 shorts into a fence post in 6.5 seconds the first try . Am told the remington 14 pump gun worked same ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    My brother has a model 61 - we thought that gun was kinda special - hold the trigger down and the last mm of the action stroke she fired - put 21 shorts into a fence post in 6.5 seconds the first try . Am told the remington 14 pump gun worked same ?
    Never tried it on a model 61. The 1897 shotgun will do that and possibly the 1890 and 06. The 1890 and 06 have a trigger block that works off the carrier. When the carrier gos down ( bolt closed) the trigger block clears and the hammer will drop if there is pressure on the trigger.

Well, the parts from Jack First was exactly what it needed to save it from the trash can( just kidding).
    The little tiny almost gone front bead and the Big Vee of the rear sight and my wobbly self combined still could terrorize a soda can at 12 yards.
    By the way, I tested the slam fire situation and nope, not this one. The hammer follows the bolt but doesn’t fire the cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Never tried it on a model 61. The 1897 shotgun will do that and possibly the 1890 and 06. The 1890 and 06 have a trigger block that works off the carrier. When the carrier gos down ( bolt closed) the trigger block clears and the hammer will drop if there is pressure on the trigger.
    That 61 was my first gunsmithing project - every so often it would dump several rounds into the action at once - theres a little T shaped jigger that is the magazine retainer - it was worn down - made a new one of those and in the process we discovered the trigger trick (dont remember the exact mechanics of that its almost 50 years ago) . a mate had a Browning pump 22 at the same time - it didnt work on that one.

Boolit Master
    What’s amazing to me is how well many of the old .22’s still shoot, even in really bad cosmetic condition.

My great uncle had an old pump Winchester that used shorts thru long rifle - he had owned it since he was a teenager, no finish left anywhere but it would tear one ragged hole at 20 steps. I don’t think he ever cleaned it in the 30 years I knew him prior to his passing at 96. I bet we killed thousands of rabbits and squirrels with it.

Boolit Master
    Have a 1895 mauser in 7mm that bubba used a pipe cutter to shorten the barrel. Soldered the front sight probably with a torch as there is scaling on the barrel. Frank

Boolit Master

Tell everyone it was an original Henry rifle used by the Indians at the Little Big Horn!

Most people today would believe it!.........
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I shot it again today a mixture of Shorts, CB Long, and Long Rifle.
    I told the owner to bring more .22 shells when he comes to pick it up!

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure I could prouder of an Oklahoma Farm Gunsmith. That's a fine repair if I say so myself....
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    A nice looking gun from the parking lot, but wait.......it gets worse.

Will see your Win 60 and raise you an A-5
    Well hell'fire, Bubber DID round out the crack starter tho!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12