Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Is the TV show, "The Good Place" blasphemous?

Boolit Master

Is the TV show, "The Good Place" blasphemous?

I was shocked to learn that my on-again, off-again girlfriend was watching the show with her 12yr old daughter.

They both love it and my girlfriend actually thought it was appropriate to have the daughter watch. The girlfriend is born-again and was just baptized in January. She was raised by abusive parents who were Episcopalian and she became a self-described progressive liberal hippy chick.

She got divorced a few years ago when she became more conservative and the husband became more liberal. He wanted an open marriage, so she left. The parenting plan for the daughter stipulates that the mom can't make the daughter attend church, or "force her beliefs on her". So the mom is trying to encourage the daughter to go to church.

With that background, I would think that the mom would be very careful in what media she exposes the daughter to. I would also think that the mom herself would be sensitive to shows that deny Christ and the teachings of the Bible.

But we got into a heated argument over the phone last night and she hung up on me. She then messaged me again this morning saying that I was wrong and a hypocrite for watching TV shows and movies that aren't Christian.

I contend that there is a huge difference between watching a show like Big Bang Theory that occasionally has anti-Christian lines and The Good Place, in which the entire show is based on the premise that Christianity is completely false and going to heaven is based on points you earned while alive.

I went online to find articles from respected Christians that were able to make a thoughtful and intelligent argument as to why the show should be avoided by Christians and is heretical and blasphemous.

There were none. Instead, I could only find a couple of articles by Christians singing it's praises for making Americans think about mortality and the afterlife, even if the show's version of afterlife denies Christ and salvation through a belief and surrender to Christ.

I'm confused as to why any Christian would endorse the show, and how Christians would think it's appropriate to let a child, who is already confused about religion, watch it.

What am I missing? Or has the world just gone completely mad?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I have never seen it - but if you want to be really offended, watch some of the "Preacher" shows that were on from 2016 through 2019. They were really raunchy in how they ridiculed Christ and God the Father. It's pretty difficult to insult me but I stopped watching in season 2...I found it to be complete trash - even though one of the bad guys carried two Walker Colts that never ran out of rounds.

"The Good Place" seems like much lighter comedy but I can't offer an opinion unless I see it for myself.

That is what they make a remote for.....Voting no.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    So I watched the run of the series, though I have issues with the politics of some of the actor's it was not bad and I treated it for what it is... throw away TV strictly for public consumption.

My .02 which really means nothing, Going to war with another over a TV watching decisions is a waste of energy and effort and there is nothing to be gained. If I don't like what's on I either change the channel or leave the room if I'm not in control of the remote.

Boolit Master
    not familiar with the program, there are all kinds of programs some with an agenda some not, lots of garbage out there for public consumption. I dont care for any of it.
    life is too short not to be compatible in relationship. might be a good thing learning of incompatibility before getting more serious in relationship.

Boolit Master
    There is a movie which addresses the very subject that you are asking about. The movie is called "Time changers" and it deals with the dangers of separating Christianity from morality. At the most basic level, if we can be moral absent from God, then the argument that comes next is we don't need God, and can attain absolution without a savior..... the notion of "earning" heaven, which is not possible!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

I watched the series, and it didn't seem like any big deal.
    It's just light humor.
    Anyone that would let a TV show change or influence their religious and moral beliefs probably shouldn't have a TV.

It seems the main goal of any religious idea or practice is to teach us how to live a better life.
    As far as God getting mad at me, or me losing my place in Heaven for watching something on TV----
    I'd hope he had better, and more important things to be concerned with.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Given their history, and the daughter’s age, mom may just be happy enjoying a light hearted half hour with her daughter. If they have fun together then maybe they do other things together like cooking, cleaning or going to lunch, and eventually maybe, just maybe, she’ll agree to go to service and lunch after rather than staying at home alone.

Unless she’s also sacrificing neighborhood cats when you aren’t looking I’d suggest letting it play out and work on demonstrating the value of your beliefs through actions rather than words. Or move on.

Don't know anything about the show. But this topic is perpetually current.
    How far are we going to remove ourselves from the world that's saturated with evil?
    It's been a question that individual Christians have had to wrestle with.

Boolit Master
    I find most everything coming out of hollywood and other secular sources are anti-Bible or anti-Christ. It is very hard to find anything to watch that is not offensive.

To the OP, Yes has the world just gone completely mad.

The battle lines are getting clearer are you going to serve the Anti-Christ or Jesus Christ?

Boolit Master
    I don't think there's much for shows on TV today that would be grounded in or semi factual regarding the word. Maybe 50+ years ago but not now. It may start well but go off the tracks pretty quickly. Remember the major media is showing what they want you to think, not what's truthful.

That said there are some faith based movies and productions that are fairly current that have been done well regarding whats written in the Bible. I've seen snippets of the Chosen, the Jesus Revolution and others that could be fairly worthy of the time spent watching.

Our brains can go into idle when watching the tube, our phones or any other device that needs watching. Our thought processes aren't firing on all 8 when in such a state, even if for a half hour. So when idling in the lounger be awake and aware so as to not get sucked into something that's heresy.

JMHO, I would stick with reading or listening while doing other things useful.
    Last edited by 30calflash; 05-06-2023 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Sometimes we just need more "Mork and Mindy"......
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios