Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gas check materials

Boolit Master

Gas check materials

Just dipped my toe into the making gas checks pool. Picked up 2 caliber check makers at an auction.. No instructions with them. Curious as to what thickness copper or aluminum to use for regular checks, and then for plain base?

Any recommendations on where to buy the metal? Perhaps Amazon or eBay? Do any places like hobby lobby carry the copper?

Now I just have to figure out how to use these babies...

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Perhaps a picture of them would help as there are different makes of GC makers with different methods of use?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I'll have to wait till I get to a pc. Picture uploads on my phone fail because it pops another window up..and the phone can't figure out how to get back to the message after the new window opens..so no pics from the phone. Monday I'll be at work and can set down at a desk and do it.

Boolit Master
    Depends on the caliber. There are different standard check thickness by caliber. Even better, measure your actual boolit shanks, because your molds might be slightly off!

For a proper fit, you want the final sized OD minus shank diameter to be maybe 2-6 thous smaller than thickness of your check x 2. IOW, you want the check to be squished on by a few thou, displacing a little bit of lead but not too much, else seating them can become inconsistent.

This is why for plain base checks, you generally will have some seating issues if you go beyond 6 thousandths thick. I use 10 thousandths for my PB checks, but I create a shank on my boolits using a custom die. Some have used a bullet puller collet to squeeze a bit of shank onto their boolits.

Boolit Master

Aluminum roof flashing has worked well for me. I have used drink cans with mixed results.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

As previously stated; the dies/caliber/manufacturer will drive actual requirements.

For all my check makers (.223, .30, and 8mm) I use a .014 inch thick aluminum Roll flashing material by Amerimax - Amerimax 66004 Aluminum Roll Flashing, 4" x 50'.

https://www.amazon.com/Amerimax-6600...s%2C518&sr=8-3
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Aluminum roof flashing has worked well for me. I have used drink cans with mixed results.
    Roof flashing comes in several thicknesses. At my local home improvement store, I found most of it was 14 thousandths thick. Don't forget your calipers, if you're going shopping, locally.

Soda cans are around 4 thousandths thick. Aluminum bottle around 6 thousandths.

Boolit Master

Turns out they are a matteson check maker.
    I have .007 and .014.
    The .014 is what I used. Worked great.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use the .014 Amerimax aluminum roll flashing. I get it at the local hardware store. I try to support the local businesses.

Moderator Emeritus

I currently only have a 22 cal GC die.
    I use 0.006" Alum lith-plate
    I also use 0.2mm copper sheets from Hong Kong.

more info here:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...for-gas-checks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Making gas checks with .014" thick aluminum roof flashing is much easier than trying with copper sheet. The copper is certainly "do-able", but it requires more force to punch out the blanks for the checks. The roof flashing is a lot less expensive than the copper sheet. I have made both aluminum and copper checks, and I've seen no difference in either accuracy or performance between the two. That being said, the aluminum was easier on the dies (and on my hand) than copper, so I recommend the aluminum.

Boolit Master
    I only make 30 cal. GC's with a Freechex III. AMERIMAX #68104 .014" roof flashing works perfectly.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Making gas checks with .014" thick aluminum roof flashing is much easier than trying with copper sheet. The copper is certainly "do-able", but it requires more force to punch out the blanks for the checks. The roof flashing is a lot less expensive than the copper sheet. I have made both aluminum and copper checks, and I've seen no difference in either accuracy or performance between the two. That being said, the aluminum was easier on the dies (and on my hand) than copper, so I recommend the aluminum.
    Try aluminum soffit, actually the sheet rolls of it they use for custom work, it's thicker and softer and powder coated. If your dies are set up for the thinner flashing it may not work or you may have to modify them if you made them. That flashing is tempered and pretty tough, but it's thin and that makes it work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I currently only have a 22 cal GC die.
    I use 0.006" Alum lith-plate
    I also use 0.2mm copper sheets from Hong Kong.

more info here:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...for-gas-checks
    "Chink Checks" huh? LOL LOL