Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .44s

both posts above are full of valuable insights,
    since I'm basically looking for a workhorse to play with and with which to first test handloads also for my Smiths_ (and here it is simply impossible to find an Freeedom Arms in .44mag., whose price would still be prohibitive)_ I will therefore go and inspect the SRH, but it is not certain that an SBH is to forget, of course_ the grips will be a problem to deal with anyway, because since I was sixteen I've been too fond of the big S&W's Target, so some custom work to fit my hands will anyway have to be estimated.
    Thanks again to Sasquatch-1 and Contender1 !
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-03-2023 at 08:33 AM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Grips are an easy remedy. Make a set to fit your hands. And you can have them shaped similar to the S&W grips,, as long as they fit the frame.

HOWEVER,, due to the frame design,, the felt recoil may be very different than shooting a Smith.

I have found that the rubber grips offered by a few companies to work quite well IN MY HANDS,, so you may consider that first.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Grips are an easy remedy. Make a set to fit your hands. And you can have them shaped similar to the S&W grips,, as long as they fit the frame.
    HOWEVER,, due to the frame design,, the felt recoil may be very different than shooting a Smith.
    I have found that the rubber grips offered by a few companies to work quite well IN MY HANDS,, so you may consider that first.
    I hope to send here some feeling, if/when I will make the buy.
    just in case, playing with or building custom grips will be an added tinkering bonus, for sure _
    thanks!
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-03-2023 at 10:37 AM.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    These posts in this thread are a joy to read. I like the single auction just because If shooting for distance it just for me. If even shooting a double auction I do better using it as a single auction.

Like like the Rugers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    These posts in this thread are a joy to read. I like the single auction just because If shooting for distance it just for me. If even shooting a double auction I do better using it as a single auction. Like like the Rugers.
    I hope soon to be able to say the same.
    until now I've enjoyed this way my Smiths only, but anyway there are few things lovelier than sitting in the shade in warm weather, ground or chair unimportant, some .44s and distant targets.
    a pack of stubs and a thermos of iced coffee are optional, but they help.
    and for that I thank the Gods, all of Yours, and Luigi,
    the fine Owner of the private range who let me play in peace_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-03-2023 at 05:25 PM.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    Sure it's an option, although I've never owned a single action.
    makes me think that the handle becomes problematic with heavy loads, due to the rotation of the gun under recoil, but I admit that I have never tried it...
    I have in the past owned a 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk. Your observations are spot on with the factory wood handles. Change the grips for range day and install a Pachmayr rubbergrip and it changes a lot. With the Pachmayr grips it pushes rear ward - completely different. I do not usually advocate for them but in this case the rubber grips are an improvement.

I've also owned a Smith Model 29 in the past. It's a bigger revolver than the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have not owned a Ruger Super Redhawk - those just seem too large to me.

I currently have a pair of 29s.
    the bulkiest is a scoped bull barrel Silhouette, and weighs approximately well over 4 lbs unloaded.
    my lightweight is a 8,3/8" 29-2
    about the s.a., I only tried a F.A. in .454 which, as unpleasant as the concussion, I don't remember damaging my (gloved) hand, but I gladly returned it to the owner anyway
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Wilecoyote, one thing I check is the timing ( does the cylinder lock just as the hammer reaches full cock) I put a finger on the cylinder with just a little pressure, then bring the hammer to full cock. The cylinder should lock in place even with a small amount of pressure on it. I do this with each chamber.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    Wilecoyote, one thing I check is the timing ( does the cylinder lock just as the hammer reaches full cock) I put a finger on the cylinder with just a little pressure, then bring the hammer to full cock. The cylinder should lock in place even with a small amount of pressure on it. I do this with each chamber.
    Frank V, all I can say is that your timing is perfect : tomorrow I will have the SRH in my hands, therefore your last-minute post is really very appreciated now !
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-06-2023 at 06:21 PM.
    Rob

...well, Frank V, I owe you more than one!
    it's two in the morning here, but your last post made me compare the paper documents against the photos of the SRH we are talking about.
    I have both registration documents & photos obtained via e-mail and I found a # registration error which obviously has to be corrected before by the would-be seller at his competent office, and not by me, the future buyer.
    for me it would have been a big hassle, and I would have caused al last some trouble to myself and extra paperwork at my competent police offices, if I had bought something without checking documents and serial numbers very carefully in advance.
    so I will wait until the seller has fixed the error, and in the meantime thanks again!

btw, the SRH serial number is#551-92040_ could someone here identify the year of production ?
    thanks to all
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-07-2023 at 08:39 AM. Reason: serial# / year of prod.?
    Rob

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    Good luck on your purchase, let us know please.
    ...just brought home the SRH w/ box, papers, rings, all the stuff.
    sincerely thanks to all etc. etc. !
    Attachment 314857
    (and I didn't have to give up my S&Ws!)
    Rob

Boolit Master
    That Super Redhawk was built in 2001.

Question; What is the length of the barrel? Measure from the face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. It looks like it might be longer than 9-1/2". (At least the picture makes it appear longer.)

That Super Redhawk was built in 2001.

Question; What is the length of the barrel? Measure from the face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. It looks like it might be longer than 9-1/2". (At least the picture makes it appear longer.)
    _thank about the year
    _I read 24 centimeters, therefore (a hair less than) 9-1/2"_
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Thanks.
    I know that Ruger has made some longer barreled guns for the European market where barrel length restrictions can affect the ability to own certain guns.
    Your gun is a "standard" barrel length offered.

You are going to love that big 'ole Ruger. Mine goes to the range with me nearly every time I go like the faithful companion that it is.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Thanks.
    I know that Ruger has made some longer barreled guns for the European market where barrel length restrictions can affect the ability to own certain guns.
    Your gun is a "standard" barrel length offered.
    ...I can't say for which eurocountry, for sure not mine,
    because in any case pistols or revolvers for hunting are not allowed here, and often the length of the barrel alone is not here a discriminating element in identifying, for administrative registration purposes, under which classification a handgun is evaluated.
    for example an SRH or Silhouette S&W are equated to a 2"Colt Cobra, while a SBH is equated to a .22lr Hammerli, etc. ...
    this at the discretion of some advisory commission, following unspecified and variable, often retroactive, parameters.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    You are going to love that big 'ole Ruger. Mine goes to the range with me nearly every time I go like the faithful companion that it is.
    ...cleaned today_
    tomorrow I hope to to try it as it is, w. some mild-magnum handloads previously intended for a bull barrel 29-3_
    next will be open season to find a suitable silver 2x ler, but without any hurry.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Wilecoyote, I’m glad for you. Sounds like you’re happy as a dog with a new stick!

You should know the Ruger website lists many of the Ruger serial numbers and provides a lookup menu for some others. On the Ruger website go to the upper right hand corner, the 3 horizontal bars with menu, then Customer Service, then serial number look up. It’ll give you a chance to put in the serial number and it will pop back with info. If it’s an older serial number or one that’s not in the main database, it will give you a list of models and serial numbers starting at the first of each year. I use it often when looking at potential purchases, or just out of curiosity.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Wilecoyote, I’m glad for you. Sounds like you’re happy as a dog with a new stick!

You should know the Ruger website lists many of the Ruger serial numbers and provides a lookup menu for some others. On the Ruger website go to the upper right hand corner, the 3 horizontal bars with menu, then Customer Service, then serial number look up. It’ll give you a chance to put in the serial number and it will pop back with info. If it’s an older serial number or one that’s not in the main database, it will give you a list of models and serial numbers starting at the first of each year. I use it often when looking at potential purchases, or just out of curiosity.
    shooting on a shoestring,
    I'm neither a collector nor an accomplished shooter but only an amateur: I don't often buy guns, and even more rarely I sell them, so you have perfectly understood my childish enthusiasm.
    I've never had Rugers before, and I know nothing about them:
    what I learned about them I learned here, and mainly for reasons generated by my reloading,
    or rather to save more delicate revolvers, even if of the same caliber, when/if mixing components for some new or heavy cast handload.
    so your info about the R. website is also very welcome for many reasons.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy

Tried em all!!! Ruger Super Blackhawk, Ruger Stainless Redhawk. a Virginia 44Mag Dragoon, and S&W Model 29. All were great shooters until a Colt 44Mag Anaconda came along. Still have the Colt 44 Anaconda !!!!! The best of all the 44 Mag revolvers. But still have a 4 3/4" German Sauer 44 Mag packin gun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast