Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Pinch trim dies?

Boolit Mold

Pinch trim dies?

I'm looking for a jacket trimmer, but Dave Corbin stopped making "R" dies, and Richard's trim die requires a Walnut Hill press. Any suggestions?

I forgot to mention I want to trim 17 HMR and 22 WMR brass jackets.
    Last edited by HandsOff; 05-05-2023 at 11:12 AM.

Are you trying to cut down factory jackets or are you trying to cut brass cases?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus
    Interesting…. A pinch trim die doesn’t take much pressure so it should work in a normal press. Are you trimming jackets?

Boolit Mold
    Yes, trimming 17 HMR & 22 WMR jackets for heavier .223. Richard says his die requires the Walnut Hill press and won't work in the Sea Girt.

Boolit Man
    Richard has made different versions of the Walnut hills, Sea Girt and the trim dies. I think the top plate holes are what might be the issue. I have an early Walnut hills and a Sea Girt that has the holes spaced the same. On this set of the trim dies I did have to add to the expander punch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trim1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	313727

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trim2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	313728

Sorry, don't know why they are rotated.

I don't know how it will work with the small rimfire cases, but I use a drill, a Lee universal 3 jaw chuck and a tubing cutter to cut down larger cases for 44 cal jackets. See post 19 of the below thread to see the tools I use.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...trimming+cases
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrk View Post
    Richard has made different versions of the Walnut hills, Sea Girt and the trim dies. I think the top plate holes are what might be the issue. I have an early Walnut hills and a Sea Girt that has the holes spaced the same. On this set of the trim dies I did have to add to the expander punch.
    Richard said the trimmer needs the 2 strokes of the WH, and the SG doesn't have that. I think it has to do with the stripper.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I don't know how it will work with the small rimfire cases, but I use a drill, a Lee universal 3 jaw chuck and a tubing cutter to cut down larger cases for 44 cal jackets. See post 19 of the below thread to see the tools I use.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...trimming+cases
    Not a bad idea, but this brass has been derimmed and annealed. I think I'd need the right collet to grip them.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOff View Post
    Not a bad idea, but this brass has been derimmed and annealed. I think I'd need the right collet to grip them.
    Annealed brass will tend to get crushed using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOff View Post
    Richard said the trimmer needs the 2 strokes of the WH, and the SG doesn't have that. I think it has to do with the stripper.
    That is exactly right. I have a 40cal flare/trim set. The first operation is the flaring, and to strip the flared jacket off of the punch there is a bar with two alignment holes and one in the center that the punch passes through but the flared jacket is too big to pass through. The longer stroke length is needed to complete the flaring operation. The trimming is done with the shorter stroke.

Boolit Master

There is a thread from when I was looking to make a pinch die because I could not remember how I had trimmed 22mag brass to make light 6mm bullets.
    It is a cone and ring. the ring is slightly larger than the case, there is an adjustment for depth and the cone pinches the case against the lip of the ring pinching off the excess.
    mine did not work until I case hardened both pieces.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    There is a thread from when I was looking to make a pinch die because I could not remember how I had trimmed 22mag brass to make light 6mm bullets.
    It is a cone and ring. the ring is slightly larger than the case, there is an adjustment for depth and the cone pinches the case against the lip of the ring pinching off the excess.
    mine did not work until I case hardened both pieces.
    Thanks. I haven't found it, but I'll keep looking.

Moderator Emeritus
    Handsoff,

I sent you the link in a PM. Here it is: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ght=Pinch+trim
    Last edited by garandsrus; 05-14-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Handsoff,

I sent you the link in a PM. Here it is: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ght=Pinch+trim
    Thank you.