RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: BP Fouling Ring

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

BP Fouling Ring

On a recent post, a BP fouling ring was mentioned when using BP cartridges. That’s the first time I’ve heard about that. Will someone explain what it is and what effects it has.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Mine always shows up in the freebore. Fouling builds up just in front of the case mouth after each shot. If I don't wipe between shots I won't be able to chamber the third or fourth round.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    He just might be referring to the carbon ring I believe.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So what does the carbon ring look like? Is it easily removed?

Not easily removed for me. It must have taken up the first six inches of barrel. It was dry and hard. One time I ran bore butter in barrel after every shot until it was gone . Got a good group then. I thought it was my powder with large pistol primer. They used to make moist bp after firing. Now I don’t know what else it could be.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Mine always shows up in the freebore. Fouling builds up just in front of the case mouth after each shot. If I don't wipe between shots I won't be able to chamber the third or fourth round.
    I am more seat of pants than I am technical - I load just kissing the lands or a couple thou shy - can shoot a decent string without any chambering problems and only an occasional puff with a blow tube - lack of lube would be my surmise but thats proly seen as a bit coarse and basic for this forum??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I am more seat of pants than I am technical - I load just kissing the lands or a couple thou shy - can shoot a decent string without any chambering problems and only an occasional puff with a blow tube - lack of lube would be my surmise but thats proly seen as a bit coarse and basic for this forum??
    Yeah, different lubes and blow tubes do help and I try to use molds that feature more or larger lube grooves.
    Duplex loads worked great but the loading process was tedious, so I just run a patch after one or two rounds.

Boolit Master
    Wipe between shots, this problem becomes nonexistent.

It’s a simple fouling control issue, or one’s lack of.

The old dead guys of the Creedmoor era wiped between shots. You should too, a consistent bore condition is paramount to best accuracy when shooting BP.

Mpro7 works very well, and using the BACO bore wipers in conjunction with them.
    This past weekend using my 25# 45-110 I used two BACO bore wipers with double felts and a dry patch. I was in a 3 way tie for 2nd place in some very tough conditions with lots of wind.

I avoid bore butter and the like, tried it years ago it simply cruds up the bore surface, barrels are not a cast iron skillet. I avoid bore butter like the plague now.

Consistency of bore condition is the key to long range shooting. It must be the same for every shot otherwise accuracy is less than optimal.

This match last weekend was 700,800,900,1000 yards. The gong buffalo match was 960,800,640,500,420,220 yards held on Sunday. My 40-70 was used for it I obviously needed to shoot more of it as this was the first time since 2011, the target’s are very tricky, the 420 yard one I cleaned it though 6/6.

I wipe all the time now works on cool damp days work when warm and dry, and I wipe between every shot.

KW

Boolit Master
    Yeah, different lubes and blow tubes do help and I try to use molds that feature more or larger lube grooves.
    Duplex loads worked great but the loading process was tedious, so I just run a patch after one or two rounds.
    Duplex with smokeless under black is a pretty simple process and works great - but are you allowed to do it in competition ? (I thought not)
    If you gonna run a patch down I reckon do it every shot - other wise you alternating from dirty to clean bore

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Duplex with smokeless under black is a pretty simple process and works great - but are you allowed to do it in competition ? (I thought not)
    If you gonna run a patch down I reckon do it every shot - other wise you alternating from dirty to clean bore
    Competition? You've confused me with someone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    Not easily removed for me. It must have taken up the first six inches of barrel. It was dry and hard. One time I ran bore butter in barrel after every shot until it was gone . Got a good group then. I thought it was my powder with large pistol primer. They used to make moist bp after firing. Now I don’t know what else it could be.
    Yes they used to make moist burning powder. It's not a myth. I make it. Char cooked at 590F with hydrocarbon volatiles preserved at 32%. Yes I assay my charcoal.

The effect is the fouling is as moist as having been blow tubed. This doesn't mean you can cram a patched slick into the lead of your throat without wiping. It just means you can wipe without needing a bore gopher or saturated patches.
    Where it really shines is repeater and military rifles where wiping isn't a thing.

It doesn't work in hot barrels. If your barrel is so hot from direct sunlight, like out in the Arizona summer sun, the fouling will not retain moisture from a blow tube then moisture from combustion will not work either.

It's handy to have this characteristic but it isn't a cure all.

Boolit Master
    Competition? You've confused me with someone else...
    well how would I know that ?

Competition is the only reason not to do it

Process is easy peasy - get a little LEE scoop measure, drop 6 or 7 grains of 4227 on the primer, fill er up with black, same compression, same overpowder wad, same blackpowder lube ona boolit. I make those loads for my 1886 chiappa (45/70) If I pay attention to the process I can get ten shot extreme spread (yeah ES NOT Standard Deviation) under ten FPS for a string with no clean between shots - you can shoot till your shoulder gets sick of it without getting fouled out
    Still needs a boolit with decent lube capacity and ya still need to clean the gun and empty case when yre done.

Boolit Bub
    With my High wall 45-70 I have to clean after every shot or else I can't chamber another round. I've tried a few charge weights and nothing changes.
    I've pretty much given up on black powder because of it and don’t understand how multiple shots are fired.

I'm not a competitor and just wanted one for fun, but cleaning after every shot kinda wanes the fun part for me.

Yeah @Indian Joe a duplex load cleans up your carbon ring, sounds like. Yeah, and cleaning with bore butter lubricated the bore, softened the fouling. It worked but was sloppy and time consuming. Schuetzen is awful dry. Lube cookie and bullet lube no match for fouling ring. But a, @brimstone I’d like to try your powder. Ya say it has moist fouling sometimes? That being the purpose of it………. How is it for power compared to OE. How would a very water patch do for the dry ring after every shot you guys…..