WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Came home with a 1911 A Tisas .45acp, pleasant surpise.

I really like my Tisas 45 I've been telling friends that it's one of the best deals out there. Gp

Boolit Master
    They are going to be running a bunch that are pretty much a direct copy of the WWII guns, right down to the ejection port not being lowered. I have put around 600 rounds or so through mine so far, no hiccups and excellent accuracy even withe GI sights, mine is also the wood grip Army model.

Dave

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    They are going to be running a bunch that are pretty much a direct copy of the WWII guns, right down to the ejection port not being lowered. I have put around 600 rounds or so through mine so far, no hiccups and excellent accuracy even withe GI sights, mine is also the wood grip Army model.

Dave
    Did a detail inspection on one of those that was purchased by one of my minions. It's a NICE .45! I didn't have to stake down or tweak anything. Extractor tension perfect out of the box. Very cleanly machined small parts and none of the coarse interior mill marks you tend to expect on stuff at this price point.

They did a VERY credible job of replicating a Colt or Remington-Rand from the 1943, blurring into 1944 period. Their only real aesthetic "oopsie" was that they paired an early 1942 and prior "thumbnail" front sight with the 1943 and later square notch rear. They're making non-replica models that have the square, serrated ramp that a late WWII gun SHOULD have, so hopefully they sort that out. They also sent it with a set of double-diamond grips that don't belong on any but very early transitional A1's, and another set of brown plastics that don't even come close to duplicating the color of the real thing, but that's easily sorted for anyone who it bugs.

Mechanical departures are beveling of the inside corners of the mag well, a feed ramp widened to be more hollowpoint-friendly, and a titanium firing pin. What I did not think to check at the time was if they went Springfield's route of using the narrow diameter .38 Super/9mm firing pin and drilled the slide accordingly, or if they left it full size fat and GI compatible.

Ran like a top, shot to the sights, and left its brass in a neat cluster about 4 feet to my 4:00. Couldn't really ask for better.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I was pleased to find out yesterday that my Tank Commander hits to the sights with the Lee 230 TCTL bullet over 4.7 grs of Bullseye.
    And 200 gr SWC with same charge.
    And Serbian(Monarch) factory hardball!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds great. I really like GI style 1911's but with modern adjustable sights. Don't know of anyone who makes such a thing, and by the time you mill the slide and install sights you're into the same price range as a gun already set up that way from the factory.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a Tisas with military sights. While not as stylish as my Springfield 1911 and my Kimber's I can still shoot the gun well.
    Cant pick up the sights as quick but still can shoot it well.

Boolit Master
    Nephew has one and it seems well made with a decent trigger and accurate with the Lee H&G 68 clone over 4.6 grs of Bullseye.

Boolit Buddy
    I am buying one of these. While I am a 10mm man, the old Series 70 1911-A1 has, once again, pulled me back in to the .45 ACP fold.

This old Vietnam-era Veteran knows that the .45 ACP worked then and still works today. (If it isn't broken, don't fix it).
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!
    "Living well is the best revenge" - George Herbert.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I needed either an as-issued 1911 or something close for CMP competition, so I bought a Springfield, but it was nowhere close to GI, with much better sights, and other strong differences. I saw the Tisas and it was much closer. Both shot exceedingly well, with good triggers. The extractors on both were set up right.

Boolit Bub
    Thank You everybody for this discussion, I have never heard of Tisas, but now I must look for one, just looking for a 1911 to put in a drawer [or two] around the house, just in case, but don't want to spend $600.00 just to have it sitting there. Good Luck Chris

Boolit Master
    I agree that it's a good shooter. I got the "service enhanced" (whatever that's supposed to mean?). Regardless enhanced or not, I really like it. Got thinking that these won't hold out at these low prices for long, so plunked down the cash for the Match model. They both shoot about the same, great that is. Maybe the Match is better with the adjustable sights but they seem to hold about the same level of accuracy. Forgot how much fun they are to shoot. Clays and the Arsenal and Lee H & G #68 clones are performing well for me. Break in period? So far, haven't given me much grief except for the magazines that came with the match version didn't work as well as those that came with the lower priced one. The MEC-GAR extras I bought are also great magazines. Happy I bought them.

Boolit Master
    I got one after keeping my eye on them for years. I have a friend that bought one, and when i played with his it became obvious they were a better value than the price. When SDS first imported them they had stainless government models that were only $50 more than the one I got. I waited too long and missed the stainless model.

I really like the Stingray and Devilray. Both I have are in 45. A much more affordable way to get into bob tailed 1911s.

The issue I have with two of the four I bought are the the magazine releases. They developed a notch in them that hangs up magazine insertion. It seems like the releases are too soft, and get dented when hit by a sharp magazine. I was able to remedy both releases by filing them to give a little steeper taper. I also smoothed out the dented area.

This fix seems to be holding up.

Three of my four Tisas worked fine with cast. I had to send my US Army's barrel to DougGuy to have it throated so it would work with cast boolits. I think it cost me around $80 a couple months ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12