Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Stevens 301 ejector to extractor

Stevens 301 ejector to extractor

Love the gun, hate the ejector since I reload shells. Here's how to make it an extractor.

Pull the bbl - this is the pin that needs to get punched out, its the one closest to the muzzle at the end of the bbl breech block ...

Tap out the pin with an appropriate sized punch (1/16-3/32), tapping it out from the recessed side ...

... since the other side of the pin is fluted and flush to the metal ...

The pin holds in the ejector spring that's sitting inside a square tube (the tube centers the spring so that its end will be square to and retained by the pin). Pull out the spring with tweezers (or whatever) - if the squared tube comes out, no big deal. The spring is mega heavy and I replaced it with an S&W revolver hammer spring I had in the big parts drawer. That spring needed clipping so that when it's nestled back in its tube there's clearance for the retaining pin to be tapped back to hold it from coming out. Assemble the gun and test to make sure the new spring will extract and not eject - if need be, adjust the spring or try a different one and yer good to go.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Thanks for that tip.
    That’s the first innards view I’ve seen of Savages Chinese made Topper copy. It looks well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a darned good single shot with its only negative is that it's made in the PROC, and maybe for some folks that kick out ejector. The push button detach of the forestock is so handy. I've had several Henry s/s shotguns and rifles - I think the 301 is as good if not better, and it's lighter and "handier". Wish it was USA made, though.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.