RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need 357 mag data for 2400 with NO magnum primers

Boolit Buddy

need 357 mag data for 2400 with NO magnum primers

hi,
    as the above title suggests, i dont have any sm pistol mag primers on hand only sm. pistol.
    i have always used 296/h110 but only with mag. primers. i did just buy some 2400 so i want to use this
    powder to load 357 mag w/ 125gr jhp`s. only problem i`m having is i cant find reliable data for 2400
    using standard sm. pistol primers. i looked at loaddata, and some issues of handloader that had 357
    load articles but all data i saw was using mag primers.

any suggestion for using 2400, 125gr jhp`s & standard sm primers? (as an aside, i`m wanting to produce stout loads)

thank you!

Boolit Master
    Over the years have used a lot of 2400 in 357 and 44 and always used standard primers and had no issues. Did I miss the memo on using magnum primers?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rich/wis View Post
    over the years have used a lot of 2400 in 357 and 44 and always used standard primers and had no issues. Did i miss the memo on using magnum primers?
    ditto!!
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

same here....standard primers with 2400 in .357 and .44..no issues
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    dont believe anybody missed any memo`s...i just didnt see any data so far for 357mag that that used 2400 and standard primers.
    maybe i need to do a little more digging.

if you guys have any links you could post, i would appreciate it.

Boolit Master
    Yea...I'll weigh in as Only using Mag Primers with Ball powder... (Not the Flattened AA powders tho..they get standard primers also)

Quote Originally Posted by lx2008 View Post
    dont believe anybody missed any memo`s...i just didnt see any data so far for 357mag that that used 2400 and standard primers.
    maybe i need to do a little more digging.

if you guys have any links you could post, i would appreciate it.
    Plenty of data out there using standard primers. Actually very little data out there specifying magnum primers with 2400. Here is an example for ya from Handloaddr #234:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-20230430-072025-Chrome-1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	313515

Boolit Master
    First of all, use what you have. You need to get yourself a couple of different loading manuals also. Magnum pistol primers are for powders such as 110 and 296 (not sure you even need them there, but I use them. In fact, I use them for everything since that’s all I have and I have a LOT of them).

Boolit Master

Lyman #45 lists 2400 with regular primers. You can find this manual online and download it.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

+1 - I only use magnum primers to light up 296 in my 357's including my Maxi's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

The data on the Alliant site uses standard primers with 2400. Hard to get a better authority than the manufacturer.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Over the years have used a lot of 2400 in 357 and 44 and always used standard primers
    Plus one...Rod
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    Speer No. 14. p. 895. 357 Magnum, 125 grain JHP, 2400 powder, OAL 1.575": Start; 16.5 grains, 1335 FPS, Max 17.5, 1409 FPS. CCI 500 PRIMER. (standard Small Pistol.)

Lyman's 50th lists an oal of 1.59 inches and a max of 17.7 grains. Generally speaking, magnum primers add very little pressure, but include a powdered aluminum-based substance that burns a little longer to help insure complete ignition. Additionally, Magnum primers have a slightly thicker cup to help resist primer piercing. My model 14 has a very light trigger and doesn't do well with standard CCI primers, much less Magnum 550's.
    All things considered, 2400 will run with standard primers and should work just fine. Any load for a 357 and 2400 can use a Standard primer. This is not the case with H-110/296, who need the extra spark that an SPM primer provides for best ignition..
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-06-2023 at 10:39 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Some powders are only good for specific applications and can act unpredictably outside those specific uses. Other powders can be used in a wide range of applications without any surprises. Since 2400 is used everywhere from 14ksi .45 Colt loads to rifle loads, you should be good with a standard SPP.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master
    I'VE used 2400 with the Winchester LP (semi-magnum?) primers, and could tell no difference between them and CCI or Federal standard LPs. I guess a reloader MIGHT get a SLIGHT bump in velocity (and pressure) if switching to a magnum pistol primer in a load originally worked up with a standard pistol primer, but I'd bet that the difference would need a chronograph to be measured.
    A majority of my magnum-pistol (.357 & .45 Colt for Rugers) reloading is done with 2400 precisely because it does not require magnum primers to assure best ignition. I DO keep true magnum pistol primers around, in case I use IMR-4227, or run across a new propellant recommending their use, but otherwise, they just lay on the shelf & collect dust.
    I have NEVER been able to get 2400 to burn completely in a 6" barreled revolver of any caliber. IMR-4227 is worse, even with magnum primers, and offers me no velocity advantage over 2400 in the 6" .357. I have ALMOST obtained complete burning with 2400 in my 7.5" .45 Colt Redhawk, and 2400 performs quite well in it. IMR-4227 gives higher velocities, but the 2400 loads seem to group better.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

You should almost always be able to substitute a standard primer for a magnum primer. You might need to reduce a max load a little if going the other way.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I went thru the same exercise. I couldn't tell any difference between the regular and mag primers.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Master
    A fellow named Elmer Keith used a lot of 2400 & said do not use mag. primers with his loads. Some of his loads were not meek either.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Never used a magnum primer with any handgun load using 2400, h110, or 296.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lx2008 View Post
    hi,
    as the above title suggests, i dont have any sm pistol mag primers on hand only sm. pistol.
    i have always used 296/h110 but only with mag. primers. i did just buy some 2400 so i want to use this
    powder to load 357 mag w/ 125gr jhp`s. only problem i`m having is i cant find reliable data for 2400
    using standard sm. pistol primers. i looked at loaddata, and some issues of handloader that had 357
    load articles but all data i saw was using mag primers.

any suggestion for using 2400, 125gr jhp`s & standard sm primers? (as an aside, i`m wanting to produce stout loads)

thank you!
    About 11 years ago I developed a 2400 load under the Winchester 125 JHP for use in my Contender 357 magnum. It also shoots well in my 6" Ruger Security Six.

I developed a load 18 gr of Alliant 2400 in Winchester cases using WSP primers under the Winchester 125 JHP. OAL is 1.553. Measured psi in that Contender barrel via the Oehler M43 give a very uniform 33,200 psi. Velocity out of the 7.94" Contender barrel is 1771 fps. This load runs just over 1500 fps out of the Ruger.

A very good magnum level load. Just wish I could get more of those Winchester 125 JHPs....probably never make them available as a component again......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast