Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need 357 mag data for 2400 with NO magnum primers

Boolit Bub
    I use CCI small rifle primers or magnum pistol interchangeable with H110,4227,300-mp, or #9.
    Everything else is standard primers.

I really enjoy 13.5 grains of 2400 with a 358429. This can be crimped over the driving band for N-frames. It works most excellently in 357 Mag Ubertis as it comes right to the end of the cylinder if you crimp in the groove. Standard primers, but most my small pistol primers are Federal 100 which some consider "hotter" than CCI or Winchester.

Boolit Master
    I'm a little late to this thread, but here's MY input:

1.) I do not know of an application of 2400 that actually SPECIFIES the use of magnum pistol primers with it. I would EXPECT that 2400 will work as well with hotter primers as it will with standard Small Pistol primers.

2.) In times when I either did not have standard SPPs, or was experimenting, I HAVE used Magnum SPPs and Standard Small Rifle Primers. When doing so, I backed off 10% OR 1.0 gr. from maximum charge weight, whichever was smaller, and worked back up in 0.1 - 0.2 gr. increments, based on what the primers were telling me.
    USUALLY, I ended up with smaller extreme spreads and s.d. with the hotter primers. The use of Small Rifle Primers was to avoid pierced primers when going into the "injudicious" range of charge weights with 2400 and 158 gr. hardcast SWCs or RNFPs. The SRPs gave the tightest e.s. & s.d.
    The Magnum SPPs gave me a velocity "plateau" w/2400 and 158s, which OFTEN suggests that I am above safe pressures or am about to be. Paradoxically, I experienced no such plateau with the SRPs. I just sorta stopped b/c I'd hit the velocity goal I wanted, and had no wish to turn a fine hunting revolver into a grenade.

3.) Alliant's online site lists 17.5/2400/125 gr. Gold Dot as maximum, delivering 1409 f/s from a ten-inch (!!!) probably unvented barrel. This is 0.5 gr. under what Mr. Larry Gibson listed with the no longer obtainable Winchester 125 gr. bullets. I find fault with neither load, as I am aware that Mr. Gibson is a veteran reloader, who owns pressure testing equipment, and knows VERY well how to use it, and his reloading equipment prudently.

4.) If you cannot obtain 1400+ f/s with a 125 gr. JHP, consider the use of a hard cast, gas-checked 125 gr. projectile, or one that is polymer coated. The higher lubricity/tendency for obturation may elevate velocities/slightly lower pressures to get you where you want to go, without piercing primers or enlarging primer pockets, right and left.
    I tried this with some 125 gr. PC'd (Missouri Bullets "9 Cone") and 122 gr. (Rim Rock "TC") cast, uncoated .356" diameter bullets. Velocities were low 1500s for the uncoated bullets, and no leading to speak of. The PC'd bullets were high 1500s, almost 1600, with ZERO leading.
    I don't recall the exact charge weight, but seem to remember it being between that of Alliant and Mr. Gibson's load. These loads were fired from a 6" S&W M28, with a flash gap on the narrow side.
    Accuracy was GOOD, though not as good as when I used .358" diameter projectiles (understandable since the 125s & 122s were for 9mm/.38 Super). 10-shot group sizes were 1/4 to 1/3 greater compared to the fatter .358s, when shot at a measured 75 yards. On the "minute of ORC/bad-guy" sighting scale, the group size difference was negligible to undetectable at <75 yards.
    I have pushed the 122 and the 125 gr. bullets to 1400 f/s (122 gr.) and 1450+ f/s in a .38 Super, with WUNNERFUL accuracy, and no leading issues, so I know they'll go fast. Accuracy actually tightened as velocities increased. I rarely see that, but it was a welcome result.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I’ve used both standard and magnum primers with 2400 and Never had ignition issues with standard primers.

I guess everyone is aware of the short supply of reloading components, here in the uk it's no different.
    I managed to get 5000 small rifle primers and have been using them when loading for my 357 mag rossi lever gun.
    I use 38sp cases, 38sp+ cases and 357 mag cases.
    Powders I use are 2400, acc #5, universal and titegroup. Loads vary from squibs up to full magnum loads and I've had no trouble at all. I have been using 158 grn boolits only including silvalub RN, RNFP, TC and TL swc.
    The primers are made by S&B, one of the oldest manufacturers in the world, started in 1825 so they have a little experience.
    To put it in perspective, I've loaded and fired nearly 1500 rounds of 223, 308 palma, and 38/357 and each one went bang as expected, not one misfire. These primers are now 20 years old.
    Needs must when the devil rides, as the old saying goes.

Boolit Master
    They make magnum primers to confuse us.

I'm late to the party, too. FWIW I use standard small rifle primers in 357 and 38 special in my carbine with 2400, it is a small rifle, LOL. I'm just loading a couple hundred magnums as we speak, (stopped for lunch) which brings me up to about 1500 rounds used this way, no unusual events during shooting and no unburnt powder.
    I don't have any small pistol primers so SR gets used with all the powder I use, tightgroup, 2400, lovex D036, Universal etc etc. No issues.
    Back to the OP, Lee's second edition, 2016 reprint, page 154 "Use standard primers for all powders unless otherwise noted".
    I just thumbed through and I can't see any mention of magnum primers though for the 460 and 500 S&W mags they recommend large rifle primers provided your brass is cut for them. I stopped at the 30/378 weatherby which recommended large rifle primers.
    I guess the real benefit is the primer makers get richer, quicker on magnum primer sales.

Boolit Master
    Do some comparison testing. I'd go with what's most accurate or you may find no difference at all.

Boolit Master

Also late in the conversation!
    When I bought my S&W model 28 .357 Mag. in 1975 and started loading for it the gunsmith shop owner told me that I could use either regular or Magnum SPP in CCI but other brands may not have thick enough primer cups and show high pressures before they are. I always used CCI 500 with .357 Magnum & loads HURCULES 2400, AL-8 and CCI-550 for WW 296 & H-110. A couple years ago I substituted Federal SPP for CCI in a starting load of 2400 under a Berry" plated 125 grain bullet the primers looked like the load was way over pressure but the cases fell from the cylinders after firing .

One note the Alliant 2400 seems to be harder to ignite I have a reduced load for 45-70 that worked well with Hercules 2400 but not with Alliant 2400 which does not fire well at all . The new and old powder have a different appearance also.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Over the years have used a lot of 2400 in 357 and 44 and always used standard primers and had no issues. Did I miss the memo on using magnum primers?
    Nope same here. I use Winchester small pistol primers with 2400 in 357 brass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12