MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tent

Boolit Master

tent

We used to camp alot. Backpack camping, campground camping. Canvas tents, then nylon tents, green Coleman stoves and lanterns, etc. Then we stopped.
    Lately we began tossing the idea around again. But, I wanted a big, teepee-type tent. Well, we got one. It's a bell tent, made of canvas. Some call it a Yurt, but I call it a big tent.
    It's 16' in diameter, and over 9' at the center. I set it up myself in less than an hour (easily get that down to 1/2 hr). It weighs 80 lbs so I won't be backpacking that sucker. The canvas is heavy but not like tents of old. Waterproof, with plenty of little zip flaps inside. I even bought a small propane heater designed for indoor use (with ventilation).
    The entire floor zips off if you want to use it as a "canopy."
    I bought a California King air mattress and it fits perfectly.
    As soon as all of the snow is gone, I'm going.
    Camping after all this time...who woulda thunk.

Boolit Buddy

I love canvas tents, at least the big roomy ones. Sounds like a great way to get back into camping! And it's a bonus that you can set it up yourself.

Happy camping!
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Battis, it got so I no longer felt good about pulling a travel trailer, so we got rid of ours a few years ago. Then came a bunch of joint replacements; knees, hip and a shoulder. But we still like to camp. Last year we went back to the tent. Nice big Kodiak canvess tent , Queen size inflatable mattress, propane heater and any other doodad we could think of. Had a blast. Just waiting for the snow to recede a little more and we plan to be back at it.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    We priced out trailers, but I don't have anything to tow one with, so we were looking at a a pricey investment. The huge tent makes more sense. We still have the stove, sleeping bags, etc. Love that king mattress, and the heater.
    We bought a Teton Sports 16'. The guy in the pic shows the size. Not a bad company to deal with. With coupons and discounts, the price came in around $600.
    https://tetonsports.com/products/sie...42901617770734

I do love camping with tents and my "traditional" equipment. I wish we had forests here, but a small fishing lake nearby will have to do. I got a tent-cot a couple years ago and it's quite comfortable (just me).

Boolit Master
    We took a ride into northern NH yesterday to check out campgrounds. We like the state run places, though the one we checked out doesn't have electricity or water at the sites. But the sites are mostly extra large - with a tent that big we need one.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    We took a ride into northern NH yesterday to check out campgrounds. We like the state run places, though the one we checked out doesn't have electricity or water at the sites. But the sites are mostly extra large - with a tent that big we need one.
    There are many portable battery power solutions these days that can handle a weekends use of maybe 2 lights, charge a phone etc... I detested the people who brought huge stereos, generators... made a racket all day long... often had to be told to power down at night by the park rangers... many got kicked out for noise complaints... bleh... I always tried to get a campsite well away from the easy to get to ones. I had a small 2 wheel hauler that I could stack gear on to get in. Pulled via a bar in front of me...

Boolit Master
    I bought a car power converter so I can inflate the mattress. Other than that, I don't need the electricity.

Boolit Master

It sounds like you are in for some fun.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Why weight for the snow to melt ?? Winter camping is a lot of fun.
    Alaska tent and awning makes and sells an insulated one, that can be kept warm with just a votive candle.
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 05-09-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Boolit Master

Nice tent! My brother bought one similar a few years ago and it is great for hunting camp. He also bought a wood stove for it that kept it nice and toasty inside when it got into the teens at night.

Attachment 313521

Attachment 313522
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    This tent doesn't have a stove jack (hole for stove pipe) but you can buy a kit and install one. If I was going to leave it in one place, that'd be an option. I tried the portable heater the other night and it works great. The snow in NH is pretty much gone, except on the mountain tops, but it's still pretty cold at night.

I must admit camping has become like a party for me. I started buying 18v Ryobi lanterns and other outdoor devices, I even have a cordless Margarita machine.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Lots of room inside. The mattress is a California King.

Boolit Master

for tent heat, look into diesel tent heaters, they sit outside the tent and push hot air into the tent. its like a super mini rig heater.

for camp spots away from it all, look into hipcamp, its like airbandb for campsites. they have private sites on private ground so your not stuck with undesirable fellow campers as immediate neighbors
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I don't have a big vehicle, and we have a dog, so we'll use the propane heater.
    I checked out the Hipcamp. The website is a little confusing but I'll keep playing with it.

Boolit Master

I started with a 12x14 cabin tent, (Davis Tent co.Denver Co.) Once you learn to set it up one person can handle it in less then 1/2 hour in the dark, Then I added a 10 x14 second room with one end open as a cook tent. 2 wood stoves, but one was all we needed.Even @ -22* still have the tent in storage I needed lots of room for a wheelchair.
    If I was going to use a gas heater I would spend $20 bucks or so on a battery CO2 monitor. just for the piece of mind( after hurricane Rita we had a couple die from CO2 using a gas heater)
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    It's CO that gets you not CO2.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    I remember the old GP mediums with pallet floors. Lol.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Those air mattresses kill my back! I was at Walmart about a month ago and they had heavy duty cots on clearance for 20 bucks. I always wanted one so I picked it up to try. It’s pretty nice. I think it’s 6 1/2 feet long and holds up to 350 pounds. Sure beats sleeping on the ground when I was a Cub Scout. If it lasts one outing it paid for itself! I remember we at least got cots at week camp during Boy Scouts. I tried sleeping on the ground on a sandbar a couple years ago. I ended up “trying” to sleep in a folding chair.

I bought a pull behind Aristocrat 22 foot camper for 400 bucks the last time I got drawn for bear hunting. That thing was worth its weight in gold. The first night we pulled up it poured rain like somebody was beating on a tin shed. Glad I picked that up and got rid of my $150 pop-up camper that I sold for 400 to pay for this one. I ended up selling it for $1200 a few years after bear hunting.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-08-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast