Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tent

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Those air mattresses kill my back! I was at Walmart about a month ago and they had heavy duty cots on clearance for 20 bucks. I always wanted one so I picked it up to try. It’s pretty nice. I think it’s 6 1/2 feet long and holds up to 350 pounds. Sure beats sleeping on the ground when I was a Cub Scout. If it lasts one outing it paid for itself! I remember we at least got cots at week camp during Boy Scouts. I tried sleeping on the ground on a sandbar a couple years ago. I ended up “trying” to sleep in a folding chair.

I bought a pull behind Aristocrat 22 foot camper for 400 bucks the last time I got drawn for bear hunting. That thing was worth its weight in gold. The first night we pulled up it poured rain like somebody was beating on a tin shed. Glad I picked that up and got rid of my $150 pop-up camper that I sold for 400 to pay for this one. I ended up selling it for $1200 a few years after bear hunting.
    Camped on a sandbar in the river... we always took 3-4 small boats. All of the women slept in a boat after I talked to them... guys ignored the weather forecast and tossed a sleeping bag on the sand... river came up 2 feet overnight and they all woke up soaking wet. They listened to me after that... could sleep 2 to a boat by packing gear between the bench style seats to make a platform. Or we pulled up on the bank where we had 6' of rise to be above any flash flooding. Those low sandbar islands were only 1 foot above the water. Great to catfish off of but bad for sleeping!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've lived in tipis, wall tents, and wedge tents for extended periods. Longest stretch was 18 months in a tipi.
    Wall tents are the most comfortable camps. I had to give up tents, and went to a small camper. Setting up a tent would absolutely exhaust me, and would have to lay down for an hour to recover.
    Getting old sucks.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Camco olympian wave catalytic heaters may be of interest. Comes in 3 sizes. Runs a long time on 20lbs based on what I've read.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    It's CO that gets you not CO2.
    Yes Sir my bad. thanks for the correction
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Yes Sir my bad. thanks for the correction
    Actually CO2 in to high of a concentration is bad too...

Tents are terrific except in bear country. Not even talking grizzly here, Had a black bear go through a tent once, what a mess. No Food or drink, but the darn thing went in after the Wife's lotion. I still tent camp occasionally but the wife is a hard side girl now.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    Tents are terrific except in bear country. Not even talking grizzly here, Had a black bear go through a tent once, what a mess. No Food or drink, but the darn thing went in after the Wife's lotion. I still tent camp occasionally but the wife is a hard side girl now.
    A friend was logging on the south fork of the Flathead, and staying in a trailer. A bear peeled the camper like a banana and helped it's self.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used to sleep out on gravel bars and wake up with a certain part of my anatomy stiff. Now when I wake up, it’s the only part that’s not stiff. I think I’ve gotten past the point of enjoying sleeping on the ground. When I think about all the stuff I would like to have to be comfortable in a tent, I think a small travel trailer would make the most sense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I used to sleep out on gravel bars and wake up with a certain part of my anatomy stiff. Now when I wake up, it’s the only part that’s not stiff. I think I’ve gotten past the point of enjoying sleeping on the ground. When I think about all the stuff I would like to have to be comfortable in a tent, I think a small travel trailer would make the most sense for me.
    Eh, keeps you from rolling in the water!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    A friend was logging on the south fork of the Flathead, and staying in a trailer. A bear peeled the camper like a banana and helped it's self.
    Bears are becoming more of a problem these days.
    One of the best times I had tent camping was archery elk hunting with a friend in his wall tent. He had a pellet stove & we stayed nice & warm.
    Last edited by Frank V; 05-19-2023 at 11:33 AM.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

I never camped out for the camping part, just as a means to somethig else, usually fishing or hunting. I have a travel trailer parked at my hunting spot where I would spend the night but would go home for dinner, a shower and return in the evening. I bought a new property that is 2.5 hours away, so I have to camp out there all the way through my fishing or hunting excursion. I planned on getting another travel trailer to leave out there but it's in a conservation area and you can't leave anything there, besides, my other trailer was broken into and they stole a bunch of my hunting gear so am not leaving anything out there anyway. I usually hunt/fish alone, so it's just me to take care of so I have a few small tents, and a larger one that I can take. I threw one in the truck when I went to meet the conservation guys out there so they could approve my hunting camp site.

It was much too small, as I can't sleep on a bed roll anymore so I have an air mattress, had to let out a bunch of air so I could close the opening, you can see it pushing on the back wall.

Had to start a fire, it dropped down to 30 degrees after being in the 70s all day.

The second time I went up there, to prep a camp site (plant grass), I brought my truck tent, much, much better and don't have to worry about any critters getting into the tent when I am not looking.

These tents are great, it rained for about three hours and not a drop of water got in, or under the tent, it goes right outside the truck bed.

This time I planned to stay for a couple days, so setup the kitchen, these BlackStone grills are great, highly recommend them, but a bit much for just me, I think I will just use the campfire next time.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    yep, seen a couple of cars with the doors nearly pulled off too. Youtube has videos.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post

The second time I went up there, to prep a camp site (plant grass), I brought my truck tent, much, much better and don't have to worry about any critters getting into the tent when I am not looking.

These tents are great, it rained for about three hours and not a drop of water got in, or under the tent, it goes right outside the truck bed.

This time I planned to stay for a couple days, so setup the kitchen, these BlackStone grills are great, highly recommend them, but a bit much for just me, I think I will just use the campfire next time.
    I have the same tent. But, I don't have a pickup. I bought it for my utility trailer and it works great...

Attachment 314329
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12