Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Ruger single six .22 lr chambers

Boolit Master

Ruger single six .22 lr chambers

I was messing around just kind of brainstorming. I put a .224" sized bullet in the cylinder from the breech side and it did not go in very far. I thought it might go all the way through with moderate resistance like when I am checking the throats on my other revolvers. I don't have pins to check throats so I use sized bullets. I understand that the barrel is likely .224 groove but I have not slugged it. I expect the chambers to be at least .224 letting the .22 lr bullets to slug up to groove diameter.

Not done playing I put the bullet in the cylinder from the barrel end and hum, it goes in easily but does not go all the way through. I guess I have some sort of crud ring in the chamber. I don't get it. I am going to clean it with a bore brush and see if it goes away.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Vendor Sponsor

Your cylinder, if it's like all the other Ruger 22LR cylinders I have seen, is .227" from end to end. Boolits will normally go all the way to the rim no matter which side of the cylinder you put them in. You have some leading or crud as you say that is creating a constriction.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    What do you suppose it is and how does it get there? Well Hoppes and a brush got it out.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Leading. Common firing .22 LR.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Did you know that a .22 extra long will chamber in the .22 lr cylinder. I am guess you do but I have one and I tried it after I clean out the crud and it chambers fine. Interesting.
    Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Leading. Common firing .22 LR.
    It was just right at the mouth of the case not anywhere else.

Tim

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    It was just right at the mouth of the case not anywhere else.

Tim
    Correct. Initial shot-start before heel of bullet slugs up.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Clean a 22 revolver after every outing, a brush and solvent applied to every chamber. This is my 1962 original 22 convertible, bought new in 62. It has the small numbers, alumunim housing, with the never will work .223 barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0331.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Did you know that a .22 extra long will chamber in the .22 lr cylinder. I am guess you do but I have one and I tried it after I clean out the crud and it chambers fine. Interesting.
    Tim
    Dang, you have a 22 ExtraLong? I don't suppose you have pictures? That's pretty darn neat. Do you just have 1 cartridge?

Vendor Sponsor

If a fella took a chucking reamer a tad bigger than the chambers, and put it in a drill press or a lathe and used sandpaper to dull the flutes and also turn the diameter down so it fits easy but snug in the chambers, it would make a great and very fast chamber cleaning tool for a Ruger. The Ruger with it's large straight through chambers could use this type of cleaning tool especially removing hard crusty lead and powder residue where you have to work to get them clean with a brush.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Dang, you have a 22 ExtraLong? I don't suppose you have pictures? That's pretty darn neat. Do you just have 1 cartridge?
    Yeah, just the one. Collectors item. I have one BB cap and one CB cap as well. I posted pictures here somewhere back when I got them. I will look.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Clean a 22 revolver after every outing, a brush and solvent applied to every chamber. This is my 1962 original 22 convertible, bought new in 62. It has the small numbers, alumunim housing, with the never will work .223 barrel.
    I might need to change my habits; I rarely clean my .22 rf guns.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...2329-New-finds

4th from the right in the second picture.

Tim

Boolit Master

I regularly clean only those guns I want to rely on (heh). My Ruger CAS match 45s, for example. After every match, I soak each chamber with Ed's Red, then follow with a 45 rifle bronze brush chucked in a drill running slowly as I push the brush through each chamber and back out. Then wipe clean. No deposits and slick loading at the next match.

This is what I'd do with a 22 revolver, using, of course, a 22 brush.

Thanks dtknowles, I responded in that thread. Pretty awesome stuff.

Nueces, I use a bronze brush in my chambers on a drill also. It works great. Though I don't use Eds Red.

Moderator Emeritus

I was messing around just kind of brainstorming. I put a .224" sized bullet in the cylinder from the breech side and it did not go in very far. I thought it might go all the way through with moderate resistance like when I am checking the throats on my other revolvers. I don't have pins to check throats so I use sized bullets. I understand that the barrel is likely .224 groove but I have not slugged it. I expect the chambers to be at least .224 letting the .22 lr bullets to slug up to groove diameter.

Not done playing I put the bullet in the cylinder from the barrel end and hum, it goes in easily but does not go all the way through. I guess I have some sort of crud ring in the chamber. I don't get it. I am going to clean it with a bore brush and see if it goes away.

Tim
    Many, many years back I bought a small .22 rimfire revolver for my then-young sons, providing only .22 short fodder. I had never given it a thought -- the several hundred plus rounds the boys fired -- until, again, many years later I took the revolver out of the safe and, "for kicks, giggles, and nostalgia" took it to the range. I had only .22 long rifle ammo and very quickly found it would not chamber. Examination showed a crud ring that looked (at range ) to be about 1/16" thick!!!
    Returning home, I scrubbed and scrubbed -- using Shooters Choice and bronze brushes -- and got the ring down to alllmost be of no obstruction. But -- the satin/discolour there will no doubt be permanent.
    No biggie for me -- it was an inexpensive arm, and the memories with boys outweigh all else...BUT, that is when I learned the need to clean chambers after .22 rimfire shooting.
    geo

I got into bench rest 22 rimfire shooting a couple of years ago or so. I use a CZ 457 MTR and found that I HAVE to clean the chamber regularly to avoid a drop in accuracy due to carbon build up in the chamber at the case mouth area. The chamber is so tight that it takes very little build up to start squeezing the lead down a bit and ruining accuracy.

I found a better cleaning product, at least for me, that works extremely well. I covered this in a thread at the time.https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...id-for-my-22LR

I also have my first rifle, a Winchester 72a I got when I was 10 years old, that I had not done a thorough job on cleaning the chamber for many years. It had a filthy chamber with a lot of build up that had accumulated over time. I cleaned it out and it shoots much better now. It had the problem with chambering long rifle ammunition after years of using 22 shorts for squirrel hunting.