MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Linotype to Pure Lead Exchange rate?

Boolit Buddy

Linotype to Pure Lead Exchange rate?

Guys, I bought a half ton of Lino pigs from RotoMetals when I was in the moola. Now not in the moola. I was wondering what the "exchange rate" (barter) between lino and pure lead might be. As an fictitious example, say, five pounds of lino to 20 pounds of pure.

Or am I over thinking all this? I don't need that much lino. I could afford to lose some of it. Just need some pure for my .38 Long Colt.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would compare the current Roto Metals prices for pure vs. lino, but I think you are close.
    But if it were me I would keep enough of the lino to blend a quantity of pure 1 part lino to 4 parts pure and use it for everything.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    That would make a very good alloy.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Something between two and three to one soft to Lino would be my estimate. Recent S&S ads I’ve seen had soft lead for a buck fifty a pound and Lino for three.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    ...But if it were me I would keep enough of the lino to blend a quantity of pure 1 part lino to 4 parts pure and use it for everything.
    as rule of thumb, could I apply the same using monotype, or it's advisable to change the PB:Monotype ratio from your 4:1 ?_
    thanks for any input about that_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Monotype has a much higher tin and antimony content so you will also need to use a different ratio. Mono is roughly 2-1 antimony to tin where lino is 3-1 antimony to tin. But the ratios of both tin and antimony is much higher in mono. 9/19/72 where lino is 4/12/84.

As the local need is filled, the demand will go down. Suggest you do a move out rate to get rid of all of the excess. Lino pigs get in the way and are a pain to move, over and over again. Bought a large stock of going out of business Print Shop pigs in the 80s. Ended up giving a lot away.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Monotype has a much higher tin and antimony content so you will also need to use a different ratio. Mono is roughly 2-1 antimony to tin where lino is 3-1 antimony to tin. But the ratios of both tin and antimony is much higher in mono. 9/19/72 where lino is 4/12/84.
    ...thank you very much: I got my hands on a hefty amount of mono, but I'm trying to avoid wasting it even before I start using it.
    with WW and linotype I wasn't so careful in my early days, when it seemed that their abundance lasted forever_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Get the Cast Boolits alloy calculator and that will help you figure out where you need to be. I have found several mistakes in that calculator but I am not an Excell wizard so I have no idea how to get it correct. It gets you in the ballpark though and you can fine tune from there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...oy-calculators

Boolit Master
    If I recall correctly local prices use to be. All cleaned and ready to cast, use etc.

Lino 2.00 a pound

WW 1.50 a pound

and Soft (pure) 1.00

I try to pick it up as needed. Good clean scrap, dead soft lead is harder for me to find. If I find a deal it's mixed and not soft.