Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Turning an old 16 ga shotgun into a 45 colt carbine.

Boolit Master

Turning an old 16 ga shotgun into a 45 colt carbine.

Fellow takes an ancient stevens 16 ga single barrel shotgun and installs a .45 caliber muzzle loading barrel and chambers it for .45 colt to make a 16 1/2" barrel carbine. He thinks he might even use it for hunting.

Yep, they are fun!
    I want to do one more(in 25-35 or 30-30) to join this .218 Bee and the 44-40 Topper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this guy on YouTube recently and he built his own rolling block 22 rifle. I like his casual way of explaining the build process and he does have the same thinking about what can be done with old single shot shotguns as I do.

I have built many of these same projects and do find them useful and have hunted and taken deer with several of them.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    That's a great idea. I have an old rusty 12 gauge single shot picked up last winter with nothing to do. But a lightweight 44 Magnum built out of it would be perfect to have around for those wanting to learn to shoot and hunt. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing.

I have a nice Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga. that I picked up several years ago for just such a project.
    On its barrel it says, “barrel and lug forged in one” there is nothing plastic on it and has a nice walnut stock. I have a bunch of barrel blanks, and take off barrels to make it a rifle it just has not been much of a priority with so many other projects in the works to finish.
    The thing is if I get motivated to build a gun like this I can do it in a couple days if I have the time and don’t get distracted with something else.
    The Champion seems to be a sturdy built gun and with the firing pin bushed and the tip made smaller I think it would be strong enough for a cartridge such as a 30-30, 38-55 or smaller case head diameter.

JedmanAttachment 315152

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .45 Colt is the perfect round for shotgun conversions to revolver cartridges on soft iron shotgun actions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-290H.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	315155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R45Colt20inchBarrel-is5lbs..jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	315156
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Be nice to have the tools & the talent to do one of these.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have an old twelve gauge single barrel breech loader, that would be a nice donner gun for a project like that. I wonder what caliber I could re-barrel it to.

Boolit Master
    the thing to watch is the action strength....I used an old astra cyclope shotgun and the hotter .45/70 loads will open the action when fired..no problems with lighter loads eg bottom of the middle,top of trapdoor levels. siply turn your rifle barrel down to slip in as an insert,chamber it and Bobs your aunties main squeaze...and yo ucan have more than one for same shotgun.... the .410/45lc is dead easy to do and if you make it 10-12" long its rather effective too.

Boolit Man
    Just received a Chazel 45acp 18 inch adapter. Slid it into a 19 inch 12 gauge barrel.Had a Ruger blackhawk front site in the parts box, now on the end of the barrel. Have not clocked the barrel yet, but at 15 yds it stays on the bottom of a coke can. 119.00 delivered to my front door, this thing is going to be fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl54 View Post
    Just received a Chazel 45acp 18 inch adapter. Slid it into a 19 inch 12 gauge barrel.Had a Ruger blackhawk front site in the parts box, now on the end of the barrel. Have not clocked the barrel yet, but at 15 yds it stays on the bottom of a coke can. 119.00 delivered to my front door, this thing is going to be fun.
    I checked them out. I saw:
    380 Shotgun Adapters for 410 Shotguns

Adapters come in 3 Lengths

5″, 10″ and 18″

Adapters are Fully Rifled with a 1-16 Twist.
    Could load some very quiet loads on a .380 case

I looked further and there is a .327 mag barrel that can fire 32 acp, 32 long, h&r, mag length shells.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 06-21-2023 at 02:32 PM.

Boolit Bub
    There used to be a cottage industry converting H&R Pardner single shot shotguns into Handi-Rifles. The procedure is called a "stub job" or "stub barrel" and the conversion can be done to most single barrel shotguns. The rule of thumb is that the H&R cast SB1 frames are safe for muzzleloader conversions, all shotgun rounds, and pistol rounds up to .44 magnum. I have a ringed 20 gauge that I am hoping to do a similar conversion to .300 blackout.