Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: lever gun prices skyrocket

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    The underlying reason..1) the new group of shooters and collectors never knew the days of $300 JM Marlins and Winnys....Any market price is set with a seller putting a high price put there and seeing who will pay that price.....The new buyers are willing to pay that price and ....there you go.....at least thats my theory
    So your saying the days of a barrel filled with $69 Mosins are over?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    You missed the $9.95 Carcano's(never fired, dropped once), $19.95 British Enfields, and $29.95 Mauser 98's (the 60's)? Lever guns are not as scary as the 'Modern Sporting Rifles' , little or no legislation concerning ownership and much handier, faster than most bolt guns. Compared to the MODERN bolt guns, they are more expensive to produce, I do miss the times of a new Marlin 336 for $53.95 (1964), supply and demand, inflation - as a 'older' guy, I must remind myself that times change when I look at ALL prices. As people get concerned for their own safety, not relying on government, all firearms will get more valuable, the leverguns have the ability to shoot fast WITHOUT scaring the neighbors.

"Appalachian Assault Rifle"

That is hilarious! I traded a Mossberg 500 for my Marlin 1894c (.357). The p/o had drilled holes crosswise through the stock and forearm in haphazard fashion. He then ran paracord through the holes as loops for the nylon webbing strap tied to the loops. A fine sling it was too....

Boolit Buddy
    Went a show yesterday, I have a couple of holes to fill in my levergun collection.
    Top of the list is a 9422 mag, found one excellent shape 1350.00 thinking back I should have bought it.
    Found a Marlin 39a as new no box 1200.00 crazy prices, but compared to new levergun prices probably in line.

Boolit Buddy

Pietro: I like your take on leverguns and inflation!!! John Browning sold his patent rights to Winchester in 1883 for the 1886 Winchester for $50,000. That was an incredible amount of money! A wage for the day then was $ .10~ .25/ day!!! I have an old Marlin 1881 that I like to shoot. They said that gun cost $32.50 in 1882. How could an average wage earner afford that amount of money? Good points you have brought to light. This Marxist administration sure has not helped inflation!

Boolit Bub
    i remember snagging a lightly used winch 94 30-30 fifteen years ago for less than $300. I cant imagine it being worth $1000.

I didn't really pay any attention to any lever gun prices at the last show I attended at the beginning of the month, there were a few '94 Winchesters there, no Marlins at all. I did notice one '94, a flat band and I think the price was $850. or there about.

Last Sept. at a big show I didn't see any lever guns moving though there were some '94's sprinkled around and a few Marlins. I saw a 39A that had seen better days, I think the price was around $700. A .25/20 M-94 rifle at $1,000. worn, but good bore. And what I had been looking for, a 336 rifle, half magazine, pistol grip, waffle top at $995. I was about to ask about it then noticed it was .32spl and walked away. Nice rifle, but I don't want a .32spl.

I really haven't seen anyone buying lever guns, (if there's a rush?). I have noticed a drastic increase in mil-surp prices! One guy had a table full, all the bolt actions were $1,000. (a few Mausers, a No.1Mk3* a No.4MkI a Swede) the cheapest things on his table were a pair of SKS's priced at $700. ea.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Inflation is just transitory, don’t worry.

I don't know what these are worth? A matching pair of '92's in 38WCF that have consequetive 4 digit serial numbers indicating they were made in the first year of manufacture 1892. They were purchased for the State prison service guards. I've had them for over 30 years and I paid $500 for the pair.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Fake Marlins made better than ever likely by Ruger help our old stuff gain.

Moderator Emeritus

Lot's of classic styled gun values have ballooned since St George Floyd tried to pass a funny Jackson.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    What do you guys think is driving it? (I mean, obviously supply and demand, but what is the underlying reason?)

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Simple fear. People are worried about Biden banning semis and high cap mags, so they hedge their bets with Cowboy guns.

Good luck confiscating the ARs. Sure recipe for Civil War 2.
    Like others here that was my motivation in part to buy a couple of lever guns. I would say about 15 years ago I purchased a lightly used JM marlin for $200 and no paper work and might just have a winchester of the about same age. These guns sat in closets with some minor rust on the '94.
    I will wait to see where all of the gun law making is going. But it seems now is the time to sell before someone like PSA decides to start cranking out '92's and '94s for decent prices. Some one like BCA might try, but I doubt that could make one that would work.
    For the '94 a spare firing pin is a good idea I was told and also do not dry fire them.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 05-01-2023 at 01:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think Rossi may be going to jump back in to the market for larger leverguns. The demand is certainly there. People are gladly paying more for Rossi 92's than what JM Marlins went for less than a decade ago. If the Turks decide to get into lever actions watch out. Good quality at even better prices.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I don't know what these are worth? A matching pair of '92's in 38WCF that have consequetive 4 digit serial numbers indicating they were made in the first year of manufacture 1892. They were purchased for the State prison service guards. I've had them for over 30 years and I paid $500 for the pair.

I don’t know about values in Australia but in the USA the pair would be quite pricey. dandy pair of rifles! But as pointed out elsewhere in this thread money is not worth what it used to be. Sota wonder if things have really appreciated that much. Or the $ just not worth as much. Rather have good guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just sold a very nice JM marked Marlin 336 with scope for a friend of mine on Gunbroker for less than $525. You guys should look there instead of gun shows.

There are people getting rid of stuff to make ends meet and there are decent buys out there. I do not see gun prices getting much higher in the short term because of that. Sure, collectors may bid up a unique or rare model, but guns for shooting are aplenty and affordable.
    Don Verna

The problem is the US dollar isn't worth anything anymore. The guns are still the same price but buying power of the dollar has dropped. Go try and buy a new truck for what you paid for your last new truck 10 or 15 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    If you put things in perspective, levergun prices currently are cheap, yes cheap. When the 1860 Henry rifle was introduced the price was $40, 2 months pay for a first Sgt in the army at the time. The 1873 Winchester had an initial price of $50, again about 2 months pay for the average worker. When the 1886 Winchester was introduced things were better as it only required about 1 1/2 months pay, also the price of the 1873 models was down to about $20 as was the 1892 at the end of the 1800's. Combining the production numbers of the Henry, 1866, 1873 and 1892 Winchesters- just a bit under 2 million. Total production of the 1886 only 160,000.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    If you put things in perspective, levergun prices currently are cheap, yes cheap. When the 1860 Henry rifle was introduced the price was $40, 2 months pay for a first Sgt in the army at the time. The 1873 Winchester had an initial price of $50, again about 2 months pay for the average worker. When the 1886 Winchester was introduced things were better as it only required about 1 1/2 months pay, also the price of the 1873 models was down to about $20 as was the 1892 at the end of the 1800's. Combining the production numbers of the Henry, 1866, 1873 and 1892 Winchesters- just a bit under 2 million. Total production of the 1886 only 160,000.
    It's amazing how nobody thinks about that. Yeah, let's go back to the good old days and spend five grand on a standard hunting rifle.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Wages are up, social security, military pensions, federal pensions, VA benefits all receive annual cost of living raises. Who would expect rifle prices not to increase over the last 3-5 years?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Simple fear. People are worried about Biden banning semis and high cap mags, so they hedge their bets with Cowboy guns.
    This was my first thought as well. But then I got to wondering. If so, then why wouldn't the cost of bolt rifles rise as much as the lever rifles? Lever rifles seem to have increased about 200% in a decade, while bolt rifles appear to have increased maybe 50-75%? It would seem bolt actions would be the logical choice for the casual gun owner, and lessen the demand for lever guns which would pull their prices back in line. Perhaps just the fact that there are more companies making bolt action rifles is keeping their price down? It makes my brain hurt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast