Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K31 7.5x55 bollits ?

Boolit Mold
    Someone use the LEE CTL312-160-2R Double Cavity Mold with g.c. ? It has a very tapered shape and in my opinion it should fit in the 7,5x55 swiss
    https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl312-160-2r

Boolit Bub
    I had Ed at Maplewood Bullets cast up a bunch of either the Lee 155 or the Lee 160 for my K31 and they shot very well over (IIRC) about 18-19 grains of 2400. Don’t have my notes nearby, but I’m secretly thinking it was the 155 grainers…

Cree

Boolit Buddy
    Airone,

Congrats on your project, and as far as candidates for shooting cast lead goes, you have chosen wisely with the K31.
    Sorry to hear of your limitations on powder selections in your country.
    From my experience with the K31, my biggest struggle was finding a bullet that had a small enough nose to allow me to chamber it and still seat to the proper depth.
    Some of my molds were so large that I had to seat too deep, and this put the bullet below the neck.
    I finally settled on the RCBS 30-165 SIL bullet, and have been getting good accuracy.
    My bullet still slightly engraves the lead of the rifling, when seated. This contributes to good accuracy, but you cant remove the cartridge from the rifle, once the bold is closed. I carry a swiss cleaning kit, to the range, in case I have a mis-fire to push the bullet out of the lead.
    As far as your powder selection goes, I hope you can find a powder that will be acceptable.
    Some experimental loads may be required. If you can find bullseye, red dot, green dot, blue dot, 2400, Unique, or Herco, these work pretty well. 6 or 7 grains of red dot, 12 grains of either green or red dot, and 11.5 - 12.5 of Unique or Herco, or 16 - 20 grains of 2400 works well.
    I have also used H4198, H4895, or IMR 3031, if you have access to these. These powders are very predictable, and can be reduced safely.
    I have also used, trail boss, if you can find it. Starting with about 8 grains should get you there.
    My most accurate load to date in the 7.5 x 55 has been 20.5 grains of 4227, and the RCBS 30-165 SIL, with a moderate crimp, using the Lee collet crimp die. This will shoot, 5 shots around an inch, or less, at 100 yards with my K31 that I have scoped.
    Use caution when loading reduced loads, with fast pistol powders, as a double charge at a starting load would be an over charge.
    Also when working up your reduced loads, make sure that your bullet clears the barrel on the first shot. This may sound impossible, but with out access to the proven loads, with powders that we have here, you are in uncharted waters, so use caution.

Lots of luck on your project.

Boolit Mold
    Grazie per la risposta. Purtroppo in Italia è impossibile trovare le polveri che hai citato. Inoltre c'è un limite per la quantità di polvere che si può detenere a casa, e la legge conteggia anche la polvere che è contenuta nelle cartucce! A complicare tutto c'è il fatto che adesso le polveri sono vendute in confezioni da 500 grammi comer minimo. Così se una polvere non va bene o la butti via o la usi per ricariche di cui non trovi le dosi. Come ho detto ho 500 grammi di 800-X che usavo per le ricariche del cal. 12, per cui volevo usarla invece di buttarla via! Questa polvere è sovrapponibile alla Herco. Ho letto l'articolo di Harris e questo sito: http://gunlore.awardspace.info/rifledarms/hercules.htm http://gunlore.awardspace.info/rifle...swiss30cal.htm
    con 9 gr. di HERCO dovrei andare bene. Magari potrei partire con 8 gr!
    Appena ho un pò di tempo debbo fare la prova a inserire la palla Lee CTL312-160-2R, in una cartuccia senza innesco e senza polvere, posizionando la base della palla fino alla base del collo del bossolo, e vedere se ci sono problemi (se la palla resta incastrata nell'inizio della rigatura). Se dovesse restare incastrata avevo pensato di calibrare solo la parte terminale della palla ad un diametro inferiore, in modo che non si blocchi nella canna. Credo che un Lee .285 o .284 dovrebbe bastare! Basta fare un blocco sul ram della pressa in modo che la palla entri nel dies fino al punto voluto!
    Ho misurato la OAL con la palla LEE e ho mm 71,5 con la palla inserita fino alla base del collo. La OAL del 7,5x55 Swiss è mm 77,7
    Non amo le palle che scendono nel bossolo oltre la base del collo!
    ho visto la foto della palla RCBS 30-165 SIL, e la LEE mi sembra più sottile in punta!
    Last edited by AIRONE; 05-24-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW I tried the #311414 and its shooting really well.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRONE View Post
    Someone use the LEE CTL312-160-2R Double Cavity Mold with g.c. ? It has a very tapered shape and in my opinion it should fit in the 7,5x55 swiss
    https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl312-160-2r
    I am currently working with this bullet. It works, but has to be seated quite deep.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Master
    I had good results with the Lee 155gn .312 bullet as it suits the short throat of the K31

https://www.leeprecision.com/mold-dc-312-155-2r
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master

Just discovered this semi-old thread. I've got a NOE .311-180 FN K-31 mold. At least that is what is on my Excel mold list. I haven't gotten around to using it and may never. I don't know if the K-31 designation was original when ordered or if I added on my own based on comments when the GB was formed.
    John
    W.TN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12