WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K31 7.5x55 bollits ?

Boolit Buddy

K31 7.5x55 bollits ?

Anybody care to remark on what boolits they're happy with out of the K31 ? My shooting is entirely with issue irons and restricted to 200 yds. if that helps. I'm currently using C312-185-1R sizes to .311 in a push thru. Accuracy is decent , but what's out there thats K31 specific ? Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some time back there was a group buy of a 165 grain bore rider that was particularly good. I'll be dog-gone if I can remember the mold number. I'll be back in town in a few days. Somebody should remember it before I get back.

The throats in milsurp K-31s vary a lot. Can't recommend any specific bullet. NOE 311-180-K31 cast very hard works in one of mine, may not in yours. The BEST bullet I've ever had was a 165 grain Eagan tapered style. i didn't own that mould, and I lost touch with the guy who did. Had to be pan-lubed, which I hate.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

K31s are notorious for chambering issues due to their very short throats. If yours handles the Lee 312-185 without sizing the bore-rider nose in a separate operation then you probably have as good a bullet/chamber match-up as you're going to find. That particular Lee boolit shoots quite well in my 96/11 but won't chamber in my K31 without sizing down the nose. My go-to for the K31 is the RCBS 30-165SIL sized to .310 with the nose 'as cast'.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus
    I like the 311413 in 7.5x55 since the throat on most K31’s is tight/short.

K31 7.5x55 bollits ?

K31 specific and works well in 30-06 also. Out of stock now but set up email reminder if you can or watch eBay.

Last edited by Stewbaby; 04-28-2023 at 10:13 PM.

Don't assume your throat is all that tight. Some are worn enough that a larger nose is needed.
    Cognitive Dissident

Mine shoots great with the Lee 200gr. I use a .310 sizer that barely touches the sides.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Master

I also use the NOE K31 mould for cast bullets in my K31.

Boolit Buddy
    Going to look around for this one. Seems like a good application.

Boolit Buddy
    Garandsrus , I just came up with a #311413 , out of my uncles basement. He had a #311397 but I can't find it. Going to run 22.5 gr. Buffalo Rifle . I see you're in Warren , I'm in Clawson ,

Boolit Master
    Tedly,
    All my Swiss 7.5MM arms like the Lee C312-185-1R sized .309", and cast from Old wheelweights and a dash of tin dropped from the mold into a bucket of water and lubed with Alox.

Perhaps you need to try other powders and charge weights.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Adam Helmer , I usually size to .311 dai. do you think that O/S is detremental ?

Boolit Buddy
    Try to find the Lyman 311414 mold for the 300 savage. Gas check and size to .309
    or what ever your rifle likes and your in business. Fits the tight fit of the K-31 chamber
    well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedly View Post
    Adam Helmer , I usually size to .311 dai. do you think that O/S is detremental ?
    None of my Swiss 7.5MMs need anything more than .309". I use the C312 sized .311 in my Russians. I would tweek the powder types and charges.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The throats in milsurp K-31s vary a lot. Can't recommend any specific bullet. NOE 311-180-K31 cast very hard works in one of mine, may not in yours. The BEST bullet I've ever had was a 165 grain Eagan tapered style. i didn't own that mould, and I lost touch with the guy who did. Had to be pan-lubed, which I hate.
    Been away awhile, nice to see mention of Mr. Eagan's mold after all this time. Since my tight bore K31 allows me to size to .308 I can get away with standard 450 lubing w/o the lube squishing up onto the bullet. I still have the mold, got the 180gr version also, but haven't cast any with it yet.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    My Wifes K-31 shoots well with the Lee C312-155-2r mould, drops about 161 grains and sized to .309

Cheers

Boolit Master

I have both of the K31 group buy molds from 10 years or so ago. I have only used cast bullets with low powered loads. They shot well. The rifling on K31 barrels originally goes almost back to the case mouth, but with jacketed bullet wear, one begins to have a Leade. I have a good supply of Berdan primers, so have just used GP11 brass.

My recollection is more worn barrels shot cast bullets better.

Regarding jacketed bullets, a relatively new K31 barrel that came on a rifle I bought in 2002 would initially not shoot Sierra 168gr MK and other target bullets worth a darn, but shot Remington 165gr Core-Lokt very well. After about 1000 rounds of Remingtons, I tried the SMK again and they shot very well.

https://www.castpics.net/subsite2/By...0the%20K31.pdf
    Last edited by NuJudge; 05-06-2023 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS 30 165 works pretty well for me. When I bought my mold, I was hoping that the nose would cast a little smaller, as my rifle has a really tight throat, but its a little larger.
    That said, other than needing a slight bump to drive the bolt home, it works great.
    I have been using 20.5 of 4227, with every load hand weighed, and crimped wirth a Lee collet crimp die, to a moderate crimp.
    Crimping 4227 for me is a must, and if you dont crimp them, the burn seems erratic and I got pretty bad vertical stringing.
    This load has been shooting under an inch at 100 yards, with a scope and 1.5 inches with opens.
    In a 5 shot group I will often have 2 or 3 touching, the others really close, after a couple of fouling shots.

I weigh my bullets, and sort them, throwing out any that are more than a 1/2 grain heavy or light. My final sort will have bullets sorted with in 2 tenths of each other. Heavy and light bullets go back in the pot.
    I have gained more accuracy by sorting bullets, and getting rid of heavy and light, or ones with wrinkles or damaged driving bands than anything else that I have tried.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadmad View Post
    My Wifes K-31 shoots well with the Lee C312-155-2r mould, drops about 161 grains and sized to .309

Cheers
    +1

I also found the 155gn Lee bullet G/C to .309, worked well in my K31.
    ukrifleman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast