Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imr sr-4756

You could either sell it on gunbroker and make some decent money or do load development for about 900 rounds and maybe never see the powder again.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    You could either sell it on gunbroker and make some decent money or do load development for about 900 rounds and maybe never see the powder again.
    That's why I'm thinking that using it for something low volume might be a better idea. Cost to ship a single pound of powder would equal it's value, if not more. Makes no sense to get rid of it in this market. So I might as well shoot it up. But I also might as well use it for something that will make it last for a while - thus the low volume loads...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    Re SR 7625: It is well thought of for 32-20 loads. 3.5 gains up to 5.0 grains with a 311-316, worked really well in my Browning 53.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend remarked a long time ago that 4756 creates very little muzzle flash.

There were .38 special loads for it in an older SPEER manual,that would break 1000 fps. Good powder. I would imagine that it would work well,in most non- magnum handgun rounds.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I use it in what ever will shoot the best for the use , make up some test rounds and compare it to another test load by the data you have and see what one will shoot the best and work on that load and go from there . Let the gun tell you what it likes. It works for me .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Poppy, is it primarily used for low velocity loads in the 38s? It looks like it's a fairly low velocity powder for the 45acp. Mid 800s if you will, versus some powders getting upwards of 1000fps.
    Yeah like I said I don’t load for 45 so I didn’t bother to look it up. But I love it! As others have said works great in 38 special and I’ve used at 9mm. Also shotgun loads for it. If you got it and you can find a load you like why not use it up.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Man
    It's a great powder for 20 gauge taget loads too. Just avoid using data from the 1970s Speer manuals, they had some unsafe loads for SR4756 and Herco.

Boolit Master

I opened an 8 pound can last year and started using it in .45 Colt with 255 gr bullets. Results were serviceable for CAS, but left unburned powder. Maybe I should try it in .357 mag, which I have a thousand for so to load up. I prefer Red Dot for my .45 Colt loads, nice and fluffy and clean burning. Just couldn't find any at the time. Thanks for the suggestions in this thread.

Boolit Man
    Rattlesnake, yes SR 4756 will work well in medium power loads in .357, 9mm and 44 mag.

Boolit Buddy

I am confused and wish there is an RKI out there (Reasonably knowledgeable individual) that that can answer this question. Frank Barnes wrote a great book: Cartridges of the World. Frank lists many cartridges in his book that recommends SR4759 for many old obsolete black powder cartridges. I must have about 40 lbs of SR-4759 and use it in 45-70, 50-70, and 38-55 and 11mm Mauser with lead bullets. SR4759 is a single base smokeless powder that easly replaces black powder as it is bulky and ignited easily. Accuracy is terrific!!!! Frank Barnes does not list 4759 in his powder burn rate chart at all. Was it an oversight because he lists SR4756 but no mention of 4759!!!!!! Am I am missing something???? Is there a difference between SR4756 and SR4759??

Boolit Man
    Yes SR 4756 and SR 4759 are completely different powders

Now for something completely different.......

It also works in 16 gauge. It's the next in line on the bench after two 11 ounce tins of Herco gets flushed down the barrel in my Model 12.

I'm on a mission to burn off the 2-3 dozen orphan cans of powder. H-375, Dupont 5066, Winchester 230, kind of stuff.

Stuff that I'll never see again.

But it still goes bang.

And one of the Herco cans was owned by a dead democrat.

Boolit Master
    Back in the 1970's a friend owned a S&W Model 19 (6") and wanted to load the fastest light weight bullet possible for it, 125 grain. He read in the Speer #8 manual that SR4756 could be loaded up to 14.0 grains and would produce a muzzle velocity of 1617 fps. That load combo gave him all the recoil and muzzle blast he wanted so he used it routinely. Came the day when he was cleaning this revolver and found that the frame had cracked at the 6:00 position under the barrel. He sent the revolver to S&W for inspection and possible repair. The S&W factory replaced the frame (they even installed the original serial number on the bottom of the grip frame). Along with the repaired firearm they included a letter suggesting that he NOT fire light weight (110-125) bullets in the K-frame revolvers as the amount of chamber pressure they generated would repeat his firearm's failure. BTW, Speer had used a S&W Model 27 (6") to test their loads. The top end load was just too much of a good thing for the M-19. After this experience the shooter stopped loading SR4756 even though he could used it in other applications. The same Speer #8 manual lists several different caliber applications for this powder at reasonable velocity ranges. It has and can be used as recommended, with the above example as a sole exception.

Boolit Man
    I would not use any load data from the older speer books, look at the shotshell data using Red dot in the #8 manual. There's alot more unsafe loads in that book,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12