Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imr sr-4756

Boolit Master

Imr sr-4756

CORRECTION: Powder is SR 4756

Picked up a pound of this back in 2010 or 2011. Never have opened it until yesterday. It's just been sitting in the powder closet. I'm getting ready to load up some 45acp, and I heard this was a great powder for it. But it's discontinued now....

Question is, should I use it up in the 45acp, or use up my Unique? I've got a couple of kegs of Unique, as well as Red Dot. I'm not certain that it can do anything Unique can't. I guess I'm just curious if I should be saving it for some special application instead of burning it up in loads I can easily use something else for....
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banner Sponsor

I've never used it, but if you can find load data for it, then you might as well burn it up in plinking ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I've never used it, but if you can find load data for it, then you might as well burn it up in plinking ammo.
    I haven’t either. But hear a lot of guys liked it in 45 and 38spl target loads. Just wasn’t a super popular powder, so IMR discontinued it. Looks like Unique, only more consistent in size. Burns slower I hear…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Grand Master

U used to use it for heavy trap loads way back when I shot competitively. I also used it in pistol cartridges, primarily one of my 44 Specials (7.3 grs. behind a 205 SAECO cast PB) and tried it in some reduced rifle loads but found it to be position sensitive.

I would shoot it up if I were you. Should work great in a 45 ACP.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    It seemed to be particularly well suited for .38 Super, back when reloaders had to push the round hard to make "major" power factor.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    CORRECTION: Powder is SR 4756

Picked up a pound of this back in 2010 or 2011. Never have opened it until yesterday. It's just been sitting in the powder closet. I'm getting ready to load up some 45acp, and I heard this was a great powder for it. But it's discontinued now....

Question is, should I use it up in the 45acp, or use up my Unique? I've got a couple of kegs of Unique, as well as Red Dot. I'm not certain that it can do anything Unique can't. I guess I'm just curious if I should be saving it for some special application instead of burning it up in loads I can easily use something else for....
    I fixed your title.

I have one load worked up from way back. 45acp 6.6 gr behind a RCBS 45-250FN no chrono data. Used it a lot in 2-3/4" 20 ga #5's for pheasants.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I used it a lot in the .38 Special until it was discontinued. I loved it myself and wish it was still available. james

Works great in my 40 S&W

Boolit Master
    I am quite fond of the SR powders! I can honestly say I’ve used and prefer more of the first one you listed 7625 but I have definitely use 4756! As a matter of fact I’ve traded new pounds of tight group for either 7625 or 4756! I can’t speak a 45 ACP I don’t load for it but it’s a great powder for 38 special and 357 mag! I worked up a load for 38 special to get my wife Shooting with 113 grain semi-wadcutter over 3.2 grains of 7625. It has the report and the felt recoil of about a 22 long rifle or a 22 magnum! And same hole accuracy at 20 yards! Either one of those powders I grab them up anytime I find them
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Poppy, is it primarily used for low velocity loads in the 38s? It looks like it's a fairly low velocity powder for the 45acp. Mid 800s if you will, versus some powders getting upwards of 1000fps.

Boolit Bub
    I shot a lot of 4756 years ago in my Clark 45acp Bullseye pistol. I loved it as it offered better case density, burned clean and velocity spread consistency was the best. My two Star Bullseye presses were set up for 45/4756 and 38spl/AA#2 once I got dialed in it never changed for twenty years. Then I graduated to getting old and my scores went from Master to embarrassing but that powder still works fine —ageless

Rick
    Last edited by garbler; 04-28-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Nosler manuals for years lister SR 4756 as most accurate in 115 grain bullet. Works great in .357 too. Natoreloading said it was the powder to use in 9mm before being dropped from production. My preference is flake powder and it fills the 9mm case up full so no chance of double charges.

Boolit Master
    before power pistol, be-86, cfe pistol, 11fs, TCM ect, that was a great powder for top velocity in some calibers like 9mm, 45. its still a good powder just has not had any write ups in the gun rags for decades because all these new powders have come out.

Boolit Master
    Give it coupla years and someone may re-introduce it under a different-though-similar name. It's happened before.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    Two great uses for me. 9mm low velocity 147gr target loads(like 2.5 inch 50yd groups off sandbags) and 32-20(consistant accuracy with good velocity and reasonable pressure).

Boolit Master
    Turned up a can from somewhere that has been in the cabinet for several years unopened. I tried it in a buddy's 44 Spcl last week, meters better and is slower than Unique. Cleaner too but what ain't. It did well but will probably use it up in a 45 acp.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 5# cans of the stuff. One unopened and the other half full. I used it in about everything shooting cast.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I have 6 lb or so of SR-4756, and less than half a can of Unique, so I’m switching a lot of loads that I developed for the latter to the former.

4756 behaves a lot like Unique, but as beemer pointed out, it burns a lot cleaner. I still have to develop loads; can’t directly substitute 4756 for Unique, but so far the accuracy matches and the velocity doesn’t seem to be suffering. Haven’t hauled out the Chrony to check, though.

So far, I’ve been able to work up loads for .22 WCF, .32-20, .38-40, .44-40, .45 Colt, and one of those “The” Loads for the .45-70.

Boolit Master

You can use it where ever you would herco.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I was looking over some older manuals to see what other calibers it might be of use in. Granted, I only have a pound, so I figured it might be better suited to a specific application - something I won't shoot a ton of.

Got to looking at the Lyman 44th, haven't had a chance to look at the 45th yet, and there is a load for 38 Special that really stuck out to me.

Lyman 358430 195gr
    SR4756 4.0 - 5.4gr (Min/Max)
    Velocity 506fps - 810fps

Granted this load is in a 6" barreled gun, but it's only a K-Frame (S&W 14). 800fps out of a K frame with a 195gr boolit seems like a heck of a thumper. Translated to the 4" S&W 65 I have I'd probably be closer to 700 if I were guessing. A little better than the 200gr Police load if my memory serves me (wasn't that around 600fps?).

That got me thinking, I have one of the old Ranch Dog 190gr molds. Maybe using it in the 38spl under the RD-190s at close to 700fps might be a good way to use it. Something low volume, but fun to shoot.

Or for that matter, 357mag load, this one sounds like getting a Mike Tyson load... Thats in a 5" barrel, so probably closer to 950fps out of a 4" barrel.

Lyman 358430 195gr
    SR4756 5.5 - 7.2gr
    Velocity 813fps - 1024fps
    Last edited by jdgabbard; 05-02-2023 at 10:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast