Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Fun Mauser Project

Boolit Buddy

Fun Mauser Project

Started this long ago and finally got around to making a firing pin. It's a 1916 Spanish mauser, made in 1923, that had almost immeasurable setback. No thumb notch which is always a pleasure to see and fairly rare for that modification. I have these FN bolts from Sarco that are incomplete so I welded the aft end on to the cut-off '16 bolt. Had to weld a little stub on the port side of the bridge to actuate the shroud plunger and prune the tang a bit for clearance. None of this was difficult. Making a firing pin took some time. When you glance, it's easily mistaken for a SR Mexican but it's smoother in operation. A Mexican firing pin would have work just dandy by shortening but I didn't have a spare and they are like hen's teeth to find in the wild.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1618 (Small).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	313415

Very nice indeed.... they look good to me in the white also

Boolit Master
    Interesting way to re-invent the wheel... Never seen a "Large Ring" style Bolt shroud on a Small Ring... and I been around a Minute...
    Lots of 1 off hand work goin on there..Almost afraid to ask...But, What is going on on that rear bridge??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Interesting way to re-invent the wheel... Never seen a "Large Ring" style Bolt shroud on a Small Ring... and I been around a Minute...
    Lots of 1 off hand work goin on there..Almost afraid to ask...But, What is going on on that rear bridge??
    I don't know a lot about them but I was wondering the same thing.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    ^ some tall Beuller style Bases??
    Curious about the Depth of the Rear Bridge??? And...Why leave the "hump"?

Boolit Buddy
    Why leave (part of) the hump? Dunno, I just kinda liked the look. I've done several that way. The action at the bottom is a junker that someone did that to but you have to remove material on the side rail which I did (brighter area) to continue in a straight line and I didn't particularly care for it. Could maybe change my mind however. With the thumb notch it's not a problem. The bases are Redfield Mauser 99 (yes, 99) from Numrich for all of $9.45. I'm kicking myself for not buying them out (I did get a dozen) because they are perfect for SR's.

Name:	IMG_1650 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	313420

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    Why leave (part of) the hump? Dunno, I just kinda liked the look. I've done several that way. The action at the bottom is a junker that someone did that to but you have to remove material on the side rail which I did (brighter area) to continue in a straight line and I didn't particularly care for it. Could maybe change my mind however. With the thumb notch it's not a problem. The bases are Redfield Mauser 99 (yes, 99) from Numrich for all of $9.45. I'm kicking myself for not buying them out (I did get a dozen) because they are perfect for SR's.

Name:	IMG_1650 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	313420
    Rem 99 was a small ring!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Rem 99 was a small ring!
    No, this:

Great looking work and I like to leave the hump there as well.
    Handy knowledge about the 99 bases- I’ll check into those.
    I have two 1916s. One has the thumb cut and one doesn’t.
    One has a side button hinged floor plate,
    The other one has the normal floor plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Impressive work copperlake. What’re your plans for the rest of the rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    brno, I believe we are having a conversation re set triggers over at AR? Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I'm NOT a smith but just a geezer fulfilling a childhood desire. I barreled this action with a nice german military one. What I'm up to is taking a bunch of parts that I've collected of many years and making whole (except for stocks) functional arms. I buy barrels as they come to me off fleabay, locally, or cheap-o's from Sarco or Brownells etc., thread or re-thread, and chamber appropriately. Test fire and boresight, then to the range 3-4 at a time and fire 3-4 shots at 25-50 yrds depending on weather. Here is a bakers dozen I've done so far, all printed decently except one:

Here are seven in the back that are ready for test firing with the next queued up for more work.

After they are completed (triggers, guards, scope mounts, etc.) they will be slathered with LPS3, put in 6mil poly sleeves, nitrogen purged and then sealed along with the test cartridge, test target and building notes, crated up and put away in the barn. A letter to my children as to what they MAY be worth and let them decide what they want to do with 'em. I don't really care but I do know they will be in good hands. This is, of course, if I don't croak beforehand.

Boolit Master

Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    brno, I believe we are having a conversation re set triggers over at AR? Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I'm NOT a smith but just a geezer fulfilling a childhood desire. I barreled this action with a nice german military one. What I'm up to is taking a bunch of parts that I've collected of many years and making whole (except for stocks) functional arms. I buy barrels as they come to me off fleabay, locally, or cheap-o's from Sarco or Brownells etc., thread or re-thread, and chamber appropriately. Test fire and boresight, then to the range 3-4 at a time and fire 3-4 shots at 25-50 yrds depending on weather. Here is a bakers dozen I've done so far, all printed decently except one:

Here are seven in the back that are ready for test firing with the next queued up for more work.

After they are completed (triggers, guards, scope mounts, etc.) they will be slathered with LPS3, put in 6mil poly sleeves, nitrogen purged and then sealed along with the test cartridge, test target and building notes, crated up and put away in the barn. A letter to my children as to what they MAY be worth and let them decide what they want to do with 'em. I don't really care but I do know they will be in good hands. This is, of course, if I don't croak beforehand.
    looks like you have some very fine actions there. That’s an incredible legacy you’re leaving your children - they’re very lucky. I’m bearing in mind my (comparatively) very humble collection for that destiny too.

Yes your DST trigger work is interesting - I’m going to look at doing that to mine too. You clearly have a good work standard so I’m taking note of your methods