Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 270 Win to .250 Savage was a no go!

Boolit Master

270 Win to .250 Savage was a no go!

I almost bought a couple of hundred cases that were supposedly. 250 Savage reformed from .270 Winchester. They were tried in my bolt action Savage MDL 16 and wouldn't fit. Upon measuring, we found that the head diameter was still .470 instead of. 467 as the .250 Savage should be. 2 different RCBS. 250 F/L sizing dies did not reduce the head to .467 so it would fit my gun. What, if anything, can fix this situation?
    Is there such a thing as a .250 Savage small base die. Help! I'd love to have a couple of hundred cases that would fit!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I don't have measurements in front of me so my apologies in advance for just brainstorming here;
    Would an '06 small base resizing die help ? (with its inner stem removed of course).

Check Redding for a case forming and trim die. I use one to form 308 win to 250 Savage
    Last edited by brstevns; 04-27-2023 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    I don't have measurements in front of me so my apologies in advance for just brainstorming here;
    Would an '06 small base resizing die help ? (with its inner stem removed of course).
    That is what I use... then a Lyman 250-3000 size die...All Good

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, you must have a real tight chamber. I have used the RCBS 250-3000 case forming set to reform 270 Win and 30-06 to 250 Savage for my model 99. A quick run through a FL sizing die reforms those to 22-250 for my Ruger #1 and a quick run through a 270 IHMSA die expands the same case for my Remington model 7.

I would try to find a 300 Savage small base die, remove the pin and it should size the base down to suit your needs.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Wow, you must have a real tight chamber. I have used the RCBS 250-3000 case forming set to reform 270 Win and 30-06 to 250 Savage for my model 99. A quick run through a FL sizing die reforms those to 22-250 for my Ruger #1 and a quick run through a 270 IHMSA die expands the same case for my Remington model 7.

I would try to find a 300 Savage small base die, remove the pin and it should size the base down to suit your needs.
    Yes... That should work...provided the '06 SB dont!

Boolit Grand Master
    A small base .30-06 die may work, and will probably be easier and cheaper to find than a set of .250 Savage forming dies.

The real forming dies may be a whole lot easier to use.

I have made exactly one .22-.250 Remington from .30-06, just to prove that I could do it. I don't remember the plethora of dies I used, but I do remember deciding to invest in a set of forming dies for any others. I do have a small base die for .30-06, but don't remember if I owned it when I did the test case.

Back in the pre and post WWII years most cartridges started with the .30-06, because it was the most commonly available case. There may be better ones to start from now, such as almost anything in the .308 family or possibly the 6.5 Creedmoor family of cartridges.

Good Luck,

Robert

270 Win to .250 Savage was a no go!

Since .250 Savage brass has always been uncommon to find;
    And 22-250 Remington brass is VERY common to find;
    I would just use 22-250 brass. One lubed pass through the FL .250 Sav die and you have a case that is a tiny bit short on the neck- but perfectly usable.
    Besides, there’s a lot more Savage 99s in .250 than target
    bolt actions in .250 and the drawn out “custom fit” of converting .308 or 30-06 or whatever to .250 Savage is just “busy work” in my opinion.
    From left to right are;
    A 22-250 PPU brass that was resized to .250 Sav in a C-H fl die.
    A 22-250 RP that was fired in my wife’s.250 Sako.
    A RP .250 Savage fired case.
    Despite the dirty brass and sorry pic you can see the small neck length difference.
    To the OP-
    If that won’t work, then your guns chamber needs a finish reamer to complete the job.
    But I would try the correct brass and see if it chambers first.
    Holler if you need a couple to try.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 04-29-2023 at 07:29 PM.