RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: point blank grizz loads 50-100, experience wanted

I have hunted in grizzly country my entire life. I have killed one of those and it wasn’t charging. One shot between the eyes with a 25-35.

I would never take the 25-35 as a bear gun, but as a kid, that is all I hunted with. As has been mentioned before, the chance of getting any calculated shots on a charging bear is slim. They are huge and fast. When they have determined that you are the target, you don’t have much time to change their mind.

I don’t know what you want to do in grizzly country, but unless you were there with the rifle in your hands, ready to shoot, you really don’t have much of a chance with a charging bear. I also don’t see why anyone would want to be hiking around in grizzly country, carrying a rifle for protection. Maybe a different source of entertainment would be a better choice.

We had these bears around where we were hunting elk last fall and I don’t feel very welcome in the woods with creatures like this walking around looking for something to eat…

Boolit Grand Master
    I've only killed black bear with a .308, .458 WM & .45-70. Never encountered a grizzly. Standard ammo with nothing exotic. Any on your list would seem fine to me if you can keep 'em on target. I'd opt for soft as hard does penetrate, because unless you whack a vital, a penetrating shot might just make it more angry. A rifle / shotgun is formidable but wieldy compared to a handgun. If you are ready with a long gun, you're in fine shape. If you get surprised, a handgun in a good holster might be better. A long gun leaning against the tree, not so much.

My buddy was mauled by a grizzly. He didn't recognize the bear until it was just a few feet away. They can move like the wind and are as noisy as a shadow when they want to be. He was tossed like a rag doll for the first attack. No way he could have held on to a long gun at first contact. The bear tossed him aside, turned to look at something else (probably her cubs), and by the time she turned back to finish him off, he was able to draw his single action .41 mag and do her in. Three shots and she fell at his feet. A lesser man would have died.

We all envision our hunting plans, zombie encounters, Alamo defenses, & Sgt. York shots with an eye towards our skill driven successes. Life has a way of throwing us that unexpected curve and laughs at our defeats. Be prepared and watch your "6".

OK I got here late, but I think you'd be much better off using a 12 ga. shotgun with 1 oz. slugs at 1600 fps. The TKO for a 12 ga. is above a .458 Win Mag and the reason why is the Larger Frontal Area of the slug (.73 caliber) which will dump all it's energy on the target, as opposed to a pass thru that dumps 50% of the energy in the dirt beyond.

I have a Browning A5 (6th Pic below) that I have a rifled barrel on, and it is very accurate out to 100 yards with my 550 gr brass tipped slugs. I can get 4 shots on 4 different targets from the "Ready" in 2 seconds when I'm up to speed.

You need to be carrying said gun "cross body" so you've got some chance of actually getting it on the target if surprised. I can run a Pump Gun Pretty well (4th pic) so I would probably be carrying that, as it is a lighter gun and thus easier to carry. Also you can buy Butt Kicker Brenneke Slugs (3rd Pic) that will knock down anything on the planet for < $10 a box so you don't have to load them yourself. Also you need Rifle Sights on your gun so you can accurately place said Slugs where they will do the most good! Like between his eyes.

In Most cases I recommend "Low Recoil Tactical Ammunition" either Buckshot or Slugs with nothing over 1300 fps. However for Big Bears "High Base Slugs" running at 1600 fps would be more appropriate, hence my recommendation of the Brenneke Slugs (3rd pic below). The 2nd pic is a Brenneke Knock Off Slug that you can load yourself.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2338.jpg   IMG_2246 (1).jpg   100464896.JPG   IMG_2173.JPG   100464885.jpg  

100464886.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-14-2023 at 04:07 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123